5.0 out of 5 stars extremely funny
Published on 17 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing start, but gets lost in itself...
This book popped up in my Amazon recommended list so I scanned the search inside pages and thought some of the lines were amusing but I decided to skip buying it thinking it to be a "let's slag off Jonnie Foreigner's poor English" type book but later I received it as a gift so I got it after all!

My preconceptions about this book seemed to be allayed initially...
Published on 17 Sep 2009 by b4-its-2-l8

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing start, but gets lost in itself..., 17 Sep 2009

My preconceptions about this book seemed to be allayed initially as there plenty of quips to smile about, which I'm sure many others will find too, but in contrast to other reviewers, I found the laugh-out-loud quotes were quite few and far between.

I would have rated this book more highly if it remained as a collection of notices *in the public domain* in which hapless translators amusingly fall foul of the nuances of English, e.g. hotel notice: "If you cannot reach a fire exit, close the door and expose yourself at the window."

But instead, the latter pages descend into mocking individual's attempts *in the private domain* to communicate in English, e.g. a whole series of texts from an Italian boyfriend to his English girlfriend. Why the heck have they been printed! I'm pretty sure most of us have messed up those sorts of messages from time to time too, but they're meant to be private anyway.

I read the book from cover to cover which in hindsight may have been a bad thing as I agree with the reviewer who says the quotes tend to blur into one another after a while; it becomes tedious reading virtually the same notice from one hotel repeated in another. Also, as none of the quotes are referenced it does raise suspicions of whether all are even genuine...

5.0 out of 5 stars extremely funny, 17 Oct 2009
This review is from: Lost In Translation: Misadventures in English Abroad (Paperback)
What a wonderful collection, gently poking fun at translations of English sentences which, whilst almost/technically accurate, completely ruin the meaning. You probably either enjoy this sort of humour or you don't. While some might see it as an arrogant and unfunny attempt to poke fun at people from other countries (whose language we couldn't even begin to speak), I completely disgaree. The introduction reminds us of the attitude we should take: we can have a giggle at the mistranslations of others whilst remaining humble of our own language abilities. Life's very short, and what's the point if you can't have a chuckle on the way? Oh yes, and have other reviewers have warned, do not read on public transport!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Nov 2007
Was browsing in a bookshop and came across this book. After about 10 seconds i started getting some strange looks. Most people avoided me...

I was laughing like a mad man - this book is funny!

Only one woman plucked up the courage to ask me what i was laughing at. I showed her the book and she bought one then and there.

If you are looking for a present get this book, but I recommend you buy this book for yourself too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Translation: Misadventures in English Abroad, 12 Mar 2010
Lost In Translation: Misadventures in English Abroad

Quite an amusement but once read not the kind of book you are likely to pick up and read again ... did remind me of a previous trip to the Algarve whilst browsing in a shoe shop and the sales assistant told me I was "welcome to shower!" - perfect waiting room material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation, 30 Dec 2009
This is funny - very funny. A collection of observations will be much appreciated by international travellers.

4.0 out of 5 stars A ray of sunshine, 17 Dec 2010
John Taylor (S.E. Wales) - See all my reviews
What a dangerous thing a foreign dictionary can be.
I really enjoyed this little compendium of well-meant but accidentally mangled mistranslations. From the extracts of Gerard Hoffnung's quotes from the brochures of German landladies, as fresh today as they were fifty years ago, to contemporary public information signs, frequently beautifully illusteated, this is a feast of unconscious humour for the casual browser with a few minutes to spare. Like others, I found it hard to stop myself from reading through the series of contributions in search of the next hilarious entry, but you will get the best out of "Lost in Translation" if you can take it as a series of snacks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Veyr funny, 25 Sep 2010
I laughed so hard, I thought I'll get a hernia. Funny to adults and chidren alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, 6 Jun 2010
Every household should own this book. If you've had a bad day at work, if the washing machine's packed up, if the kids are screaming and everything's going wrong - just 5 minutes of reading this and I guarantee that you will be crying with laughter. So much fun can be had by innocent mistranslations that lead to such gems as "please leave your values at the front desk" and "customers will be executed in strict rotation", along with others that are so bizarre you are left perpetually wondering what on earth they were trying to say, such as "please leave your watermelons at the reception desk". Truely a wonderful book that will never lose it's charm, roll on volume 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful laugh, 2 Jan 2008
This book is truly wonderful, not just because it's full of humour but because it has the ability to make you laugh at any time of day and whatever your mood. It's an immediate tonic - just read a couple of pages and you'll feel better. A word of advice; don't try reading it on the train, you're bound to regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get 'Lost' and laugh lots!, 24 Feb 2010
Bazzy Boonins (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The English language mangled beyond belief! Whatever is lost in translation is more than made up for in humour. A great gift for a well-travelled friend.

Lost In Translation: Misadventures in English Abroad
Lost In Translation: Misadventures in English Abroad by Charlie Croker (Paperback - 1 Oct 2007)