5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!
The extended title of this book suggests a depressing tale - not so! Certainly the reality of living with an autist is described but in the most upbeat way.

Published on 10 Feb 2009 by Dr. Rory J. G. Kidd

3.0 out of 5 stars hard to enjoy this book
I read this book because I wanted to understand more about autism since it touched my family. Apart from the actual 'story', I found the proof reading poor -lots of words were hyphenated that shouldn't have been, and the tales were out of order - the time frames jumped about a lot. Was the child 11 (3 times), 12 (once) or 14 (once) when the book ended??

I'm...
Published on 15 Jun 2012 by jac

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, 10 Feb 2009
Dr. Rory J. G. Kidd (lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Real Boy: How Autism Shattered Our Lives - and Made a Family from the Pieces (Paperback)

I absolutely loved this account. Since the diagnosis of our son in September, I have kept notes of his progress and it was absolutely fascinating to see how much of our experience mirrors this Chris and Nicky's.

My catch phrase is that autism is not an intuitive condition, so to read such vivid accounts of off the wall situations which we have lived through too was really uplifting.

I loved the style of this writing; I laughed out loud at the experience with the woman's skirt and slapping the bald man's head; incredibly we've experienced very similar. As parents of autists, we need to be able to laugh and get back into the (figurative) driving seat; this book helped me gain some perspective and put me back in control ... who wants to feel a victim?

I loved how A Real Boy brought to the fore thoughts I hadn't even realised; how I miss not hearing anything about school, how I too, hold my son by the wrist, how very powerful the words from the sibling about the condition are and the importance of participation in the school nativity, to list just a few.

One big difference between our experience with our son and the Steven's experience with David is that of DVDs. To use the Steven's metaphor; DVDs to our son are as heroin to an addict such is his obsession. So, whilst the introduction of DVDs worked well for the Nichols, in our case, I'm sure they have shaved years off my life! I can cope with hours, days ..weeks even ... of fast forwarding and rewinding Rosie and Jim and other favourites on video... but watching 14.99 DVDs shooting in and out of the DVD player for hours on end and then being used to sandpaper our walls or in place of ice skates is a direct route into orbit for me.

I loved being able to compare David's echolalia with my own son's and I appreciated the accompanying explanation - fascinating.

I thought it was extremely clever and very poignant how the parents' dreams for the future were touched upon.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in living with autism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Life Autism, 16 Jun 2008
cyberseraphim (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A very moving and interesting account of living with autism. I liked the way the vulnerability and the fragility of David's life was shown with such love and poignancy. Often (unintentionally) autistic children are protrayed as frightening destructive creatures because they don't understand the rules of life. This book showed us, as far as is possible, how the world looks from the point of view of the child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, moving and brilliantly written, 3 May 2010
I don't often take the time to write reviews but really wanted to write this as a thank you to the authors, David's parents. I work with families affected by autism and as such have read plenty of 'textbook' accounts. However, these don't capture the harsh realities that face many families. David's parents have taken the time to write about the difficulties they have faced but also about the joy and love they have for their child. This isn't a book with a cure or a happy ending but it still managed to make me smile as well as feel the despair of the David's parents when continuously faced with challenges and barriers. It is an account that will stay with me and I hope help me to work with a greater understanding. Thanks to Christopher and Nicky for sharing your story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A* Book, 23 Feb 2009
This is the most true to life, well written book form a parents perspective that I have read. I am a mother of 2 autistic children and i can relate so well. This book has helped me & I have recommended it to countless others. If you have a child or are a carer a relative or even someone with just an interest, this is the book you should be reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars a real boy, 10 May 2010
This is a very good insight into autism, its opened my eyes to this condition. This would be an excellent read for anyone with an autistic child. Chris and Nicky tell a lovely story of outstanding patience with their very active son. They both have a very good sense of humour and seem to see the funny side of what life throws at them.
An incident in their car in chapter 9 got me laughing so much that tears were running down my face, I even had my husband laughing at what I was reading out to him. Yes, there are lots of laughs and also some tears in this very moving story. I have enjoyed this book very much. Highly recommendable to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpected gem, 31 May 2009
M. Weir (west lothian) - See all my reviews
this book made me laugh out loud & cry when i least expected to. it certainly opened my eyes & made me think twice about how we as a society can at times be extremely judgemental when faced with children behaving in an unconventional way. would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a 'must read' book., 14 May 2012
My husband & two of my children are autistic (My youngest is severely non verbal autistic) So my heart really went out to this family. It was a brilliant read & I've passed the book on to loads of my family & friends who have all said they now understand autism a lot better.

I do know from first hand experience that not all A.S.D children/adults are the same. Still.. I would highly recommend 'A Real Boy' to anyone. Especially anyone who has no idea how hard life with an autistic child can be. While at the same time, the huge amount of joy an autistic child can bring & knowing that seeing the world through different eyes isn't all that bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Mar 2008
I read this book in one day (okay I was on a train to London and back!) It is one of the funniest, most moving and emotional books I have ever read. It is not inviting you to feel sorry for either the boy in the book or the parents but a portrayal of how life is for them as a family, including the older son. It was funny enough to make me laugh out loud, illiciting some strange looks from the other passengers in the compartment, and also made me swallow once or twice at particularly emotive descriptions. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience of a saint, 21 May 2012
This is a different approach to the understanding of living with autism and goes some way to viewing disability as whole, but it not written in a depressing way . I think that every trainee social worker, teacher and doctor should read this to understand the everyday and long term frustrations of parenting a severely disabled child and society's attitude towards their often uncontrallable child, the highs and lows, delighting in every little achievement, their struggles to cope and how it affects every single thing they do,. They have so much love to give and David is so lucky to have the support he needs. His life could have been so different. I couldn't help feeling sorry for James, his older brother who has had to understand that his brother is different and cannot play like a normal boy and he too has had to make many sacrifices.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, 24 April 2012
This is the second book by this author that I have read recently..some of the first book was repeated by the author in his second book which is a true story about his son.. the first book was part fact based on his experiences with his son and some things had been changed slightly.Having said that it was a lovely book. I dont know how on earth he and his wife coped under such difficult times,, I guess the same as any parent copes when faced with such problems.I enjoyed the book.. I hope there is going to be another as David grow up.

A Real Boy: How Autism Shattered Our Lives - and Made a Family from the Pieces