5.0 out of 5 stars My mantra for 2008 Make Do and Mend
I have now edited my score up to five star having again referred to this booklet and learned how to restyle my blouses that no longer fit by using fabric from two and creating a new garment.

Published on 10 July 2008 by A. S. Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but repetitive
Nice piece of social history, but many of the leaflets included in the book are reissues of the same information - for example there are several versions of exactly the same advice on darning and repairing clothes. But the book does make you realise just how much we waste today.
Published on 9 Sep 2009 by T. Lawes

5.0 out of 5 stars My mantra for 2008 Make Do and Mend, 10 July 2008
A. S. Gilbert (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make Do and Mend: Keeping Family and Home Afloat on War Rations (Official Wwii Info Reproductns) (Hardcover)

In the current financial climate of negative equity and rising prices, we all need to make do and mend. There really is no need to keep buying new stuff when there is a bit of life left in something older and this books will help you.

Featuring reproductions of wartime pamphlets, some of the print quality is not perfect. A little sewing experience would be a good thing, but not vital.

In the war years fabric, ready made clothes were rationed and in short supply, and so was cash! So if you had a good dress but needed a larger one, this book tells you how to insert strips of fabric to bring new life to old garments.

We can buy cheap clothes nowadays but there is great satisfaction in "make do and mend" and reducing waste and, anyway, it is fun reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still so true for 2008 and beyond, 9 Oct 2008
Trilliane (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the pair for my mum a year ago and they have ended up going round the whole family, young and old. Yes they have a nostalgic feel to them and it's food that nana used to make but thats what makes them so good, we are now having to live as if things are rationed, the meals that were made back then weren't full of e numbers and other nasty things (lets face it, we've all become alergic to them all anyway), they were wholesome and filling with no waste, after all I'm sure it's not only me that loves bubble and squeek on a monday with the sunday roast left overs. It has made me realize how lucky I am to have everything I want but I can survive on next to nothing.
Also the Make do and Mend is also full of cleaning tips and a definate must for anyone living in a period house and trying to keep things going, I live in a stone cottage and in a preservation area, with a house full of original things like Arga'sand stone floors I found good tips on how to care for these items without using chemical cleaners that corrode them away.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight!, 22 Sep 2007
I purchased this after seeing it on BBC Breakfast news - its just lovely.
Has such an old fashioned feel but the information is as relevant today as it was back then.
Will make a lovely Xmas gift for older relatives.
Very good value for money - its full colour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Austerity? We've no idea!, 26 Mar 2011
Excellent little book, lots of useful information on repairing clothes - in today's financial climate this is really helpful. Obviously some of the stuff is outdated but interesting nonetheless. If your mother or the Guides didn't teach you how to darn or to do basic mending, this is the book for you! It is difficult for us nowadays to understand how hard life was during the war, no new clothes for years. In our throwaway society, we just have no idea. This book, a reprint of articles written at the time gives us real insight into how people managed to keep themselves decently covered!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but repetitive, 9 Sep 2009
T. Lawes (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Do and Mend - Wartime Rationing, 8 Mar 2014
A brilliant little book, bought for a young person who is studying this era. She tells me it has been most useful and very interesting and has learnt a lot from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Sep 2013
This book is fantastic and a must have for me on two fronts: I am a dedicated history lover and love seeing all the old government information leaflets from the second world war and also, I am a learner on the sewing machine and appreciate all of the help this book will be able to give me!

It covers everything from mending to making something completely new out of something old. We may not be living in a country afflicted by a war any more but certainly some people can do with some help for cutting corners in the current economic climate.

Really lovely little book and very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful tips even today, 19 Sep 2013
Some of the information in this book of war leaflets is useful today in so called hard times. Read this book and see who really had hard times.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 15 Jun 2013
love the book, it is lovely to have a handy back to basics no nonsense approach to recycling old clothes and mending existing ones. Love the retro posters.

5.0 out of 5 stars just right for school projects on WW2, 3 Mar 2013
great - just like the originals not updated or ammended - perfect for primary school Good advise for eco schools too much that can be used in a recession

Used & New from: 0.01