4.0 out of 5 stars 30 days hath september, April June and November
Only one minor criticism of this book is that it does not have an index. With computers it is very easy to do an index and any serious book should have one.

I still use the rhyme for the days of the month the famous Thirty days hath September etc

Published on 15 Jan 2008 by Peter Wade

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected
Published on 9 Mar 2009 by Vaila Spencer

4.0 out of 5 stars 30 days hath september, April June and November, 15 Jan 2008
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: i before e (except after c): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff (Hardcover)

To spell or not to spell taught me that the mnemonic for DIARRHOEA which is a very difficult word to remember and is Dash In a A Real Rush Hurry Or Else Accident.

A common mistake because people get confused with the American spelling is licence / license and practice/ practise

s is the verb and c is the noun, that's the rule that runs the town.

A great little book which deserves a lot of study. It is a must for fans of arcane trivia. There were things in there that I had never heard of such as the taxonomic classification and the Buddhist ten states of mind.

A great present for those who think they know it all. They will soon realise they do not.

If you take time to memorise the contents of this book you might achieve number ten being Buddha, the state of perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A combination of useless and useful information - great for Trivia buffs!, 10 Nov 2007
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I had to laugh when I got my hands on this book! Many of the mnemonics, reminders and memory 'helpers' that I use on a regular basis with the children in my class are in here - along with many others - some of which could well be useful! My copy now sits in my classroom on the reference shelf, where it is often looked through by my class of Year 6 children. Many of us can now count to 10 in Japanese thanks to the handy mnemonics hidden within - and we can all spell diarrhoea! (Dash, in a real rush, hurry or else accident)

I'm sure we can all remember some of the mnemonics that are in this book - even those of us who are unsure of what 'mnemonics' are (It's a word that has only been introduced to children in the last 15 years or so)!
Think back to your childhood and remember such things as:
'Big Elephants Can Always Upset Small Elephants' (Because)
'Richard of York Gave Battle in Vain' for the colours of the rainbow
'My Very Easy Method Just Shows Us Names of Planets' (I never get them in the wrong order when I use this mnemonic!

There are also a great many more - far too many to even mention!

However, possibly more importantly, it also gave me the answer to the question "What are sine and cosine?" which a colleague and I were discussing only the other day! Neither of us could remember why they were important, but we had clear memories of log books (me!) and using the appropriate key on the scientific calculator (my younger colleague!)

This is another book that is great for the bathroom and a terrific gift for trivia buffs all over. You never know, the mnemonics in it may well help you to win the next quiz night (I'm hoping!)

Enjoy it! I certainly have, and also managed to get hold of more copies as Christmas presents for trivia buffs and fellow pedants that I know! At this price, it would make a terrific small 'thank you' gift or extra Birthday present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brimming with fun ways to remember useful and useless facts, 17 Mar 2008
I was given this fun, nostalgic and potentially very useful book for Christmas, and I've enjoyed dipping in and out of it.

The mnemonics and aide-memoires in ` I Before E (Except After C)', are divided into thematic sections such as `Animal, Vegetable, Mineral' and `Musical Interlude', and include everything from practical ways of remembering spellings and scientific formulae to old-fashioned rhymes to remind one of delightfully pointless information.

The factor that really limits the usefulness of the book as a reference work, is the absence of any sort of index. Let's say, for example, you're after an easy way to remember trigonometry. All you can do to locate the information is to identify the chapter it's likely to be listed in, and flick your way through that until you stumble upon it. Despite this minor frustration, the book is ideal for anyone wishing to find better, or more fun ways of recalling key facts - from fans of trivia to older people struggling with memories less reliable than they used to be. In fact, every household should have one - in the smallest room and on the book shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars How useful!, 8 Aug 2007
What a useful book - its packed with mnemonics (I did not know they were called that) - which I used to be taught at school...........I before E except after C being the classic example.
As I flicked though the book I was taken back to many a school afternoon being taught some basic English, historical facts etc.
This really is a nice book - nice cover too - I will be giving a few copies out to many a relative this Xmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indulge yourself!, 20 Jun 2008
b4-its-2-l8 (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a little gem of a book; I bought it thinking it would give me helpful ways of knowing and remembering more about grammar - but it's so much more than this.

The whole book is about mnemonics and rhymes as memory aids, grouped into 17 themed categories as listed in the contents page, which is viewable on the 'Search Inside' feature.

This book is ideal for flicking open and dipping into whatever page it lands on as it not only cites fascinating facts/trivia it also provides the means for remembering them!

To give a flavour of the diversity of information in this book, here's a rhyme which caught my attention (I hope the information's accurate!) on what's good to choose for firewood:

Beech wood fires are bright and clear,
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for long it's laid away.
Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
Blaze up bright and do not last.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
Even the very flames are cold.
Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills you eyes and makes you choke.
Apple wood will scent your room,
With an incense like perfume.
Oak and maple, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter cold.
But ash wood wet and ash wood dry,
A king shall warm his slippers by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, 4 Jan 2008
data
in
neat
groups

I enjoyed reading this book as it was fun to browse through, with catchy memory titbits that stick with you after the book was completed. Also the simple yet fun cartoons add to the over quality of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teacher's Gift, 7 May 2009
M. Jarvis - See all my reviews
I came across this book in a little shop a few years ago and thought it would make an adorable thank you gift for my son's teacher at the end of the school year. She loved it and asked me where I'd purchased it. I bought one here on Amazon this year and plan to give it to his current teacher (if I don't keep it for myself). I thought it was a cute and fun book that could also be used as reference material for a teacher and is something a little different to give as an end of year gift.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected, 9 Mar 2009
Vaila Spencer (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I thought this would be two things 1) a nostalgic trip to school days and the joys of learning and 2) useful even now for remembering such things as the order of the planets or roman emperors. It was a bit of a nostalgic trip but really disappointed on the second count. there seemed to be no connection between the series to be remembered and the mnemomic in question. For example to remember the order of the planets I would have expected something astral as a 'hook' to hang the mnemoic on, instead it was 'my very educated mother served us nine pizzas'....what has that to do with the planets.
One other complaint is the lack of an index.
Overall, a curiosity of a book, the sort that you have handy to read in the loo :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
informative

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school ways, 12 May 2014
I love this book. All the old rhymes are there. And it has been useful to my grandson. It seems they don't teach this stuff at school any more!

i before e (except after c): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff
i before e (except after c): Old-School Ways to Remember Stuff by Judy Parkinson (Hardcover - 9 Aug 2007)
6.99