5.0 out of 5 stars I bet you'll laugh
As an ardent letter writer, I wanted this book as soon as I saw it was released. I wasn't disappointed. I'd not got past the second letter and my other half asked me to leave the room with my book because my laughter stopped him hearing the TV.
I'm not sure how Robin Cooper gets his ideas for potential products but his proposals were brilliant - a book for children...
Published on 24 Oct 2004 by Talie

3.0 out of 5 stars He's invented a new colour - Greem
Published on 11 Mar 2011 by Eileen Shaw

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars He's invented a new colour - Greem, 11 Mar 2011
Eileen Shaw "Kokoschka's_cat" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
Some of these letters are very funny, some are just so-so, but the majority raise a smile if not a belly-laugh. The best ones, I thought, involved Robin's attempts to find replacement components for his wife's `hair station', including a Dutch valve and special copper wiring with `Lisp Henry' written on it. His suggestions for children's books were entertained by Dorling Kindersley and even encouraged, until they saw a sample chapter (included in the book) in which his protagonist wakes up next to a dead wife. I am most disappointed that I'll never have the chance to have a children's Icarus party, complete with feather-bedecked flying man.

The level of humour is a bit juvenile, and some of the letters don't really hit the target in any but a rather peurile way. The replies often verge on the tight-lipped, though some people get the joke straight off. I understand this sort of thing has been done before by William Donaldson, in some reviewers' opinion, far better. I must get a copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed bag, 21 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
I have read the book and have sympathy for the enthusiast and otherwise. Some of the letters were funny but some began to get a little tired and one dimensional. I love the idea of satirical letters but I think the more absurd the better. Some of these didn't cross my threshold for absurdity. Still to each their own and I can understand why many find the book great. Just not totally for me

5.0 out of 5 stars i'm with Gervais, 6 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
i have to say that i've just bought this book, and though i don't want to seem like a copycat of the funniest man on earth, i think that the Robin Cooper letters is the funniest book i've read.
the letters veer between stream of consciousness (where i found my self grinning like an idiot as i wondered what cooper would come up with next), and short, sharp, spit-the-coffee-across-starbucks laugh out loud moments.
my advice to those thinking of buying the book would be this;
don't: read it whilst ingesting food / drinks (see above)
do; be prepared to have people move away from you on public transport as you snort and giggle at ideas like 'waspard' (wasp mustard).
do; buy five copies as you'll want to give one to all your friends.
don't; be surprised if your friends aren't talking to you because you're late because you wanted to finish the book so much.
anyway - i loved it and hope this review will help others enjoy the mental, laugh out loud silliness of Cooper.
yannik.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the cover!, 1 Dec 2008
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
It is rare that I read a book all the way through in a day, but I completed this one in a three hour car journey (not while driving though!) At 142 pages, it's an easy book to read and is like a literature version of the channel 4 series Fonejacker.

There are some good letters that were worth book marking, including the poem about aluminium set to 'Oh my Darling Clementine' and the letter to the Society of Existential Analysis. The letters also give you some good ideas for letter writing and can be light-heartedly amusing, steering clear of puerility.

However, this is where the similarity between the hype (on the cover) and the content ends. The book does seem like someone's hobby when bored, and the timewasting nature of the letters follow the tawdry cliche of being a waste of your (the readers) time.

It is reminiscent of reading one of those Clarkson books of magazine articles - essentially what you get is just a load of raw material, which could do with processing into something better. Maybe this is why the fawning praise is from TV comedians - it's good source material, but little more.

So, to conclude, if you are a comedian, then this is a good book for you, as it has much in the way of diverse and useful muse material. However, if you are after comedy then get a hold of some early Jeremy Clarkson or Douglas Adams. Better still, experiment a little by getting Nikolai Gogol's St Petersburg Tales, which are a lesson in just what can be made with comedic ideas...

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts off well but ultimately disappointing, 30 Nov 2004
P. J. Bragg (Bristol and Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
A collection of prank letters sent by the author to various organisations. I read this book in the course of an evening and only laughed out loud on two occasions. For 6.99 (let alone the cover price of 9.99) I expect a little more. The book starts off well with a lengthy discussion between the author and a well meaning publishers assistant but most of the rest of the book consists of bizarre but not particularily funny letters from the author followed by a firm but polite rejection letter from the organisation he's corresponded with. It all gets a bit repetitive after a while.
Not a total waste of time but there are better books to spend your money on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasting Time Not Usually This Much Fun, 27 Jun 2005
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
I don't really read that many books. I like to think it's because I don't have the time. But the truth is that I just like to feed my head with content delivered in manageable bite-sized chunks. So you can probably guess that I like to watch bits of MTV and scan magazines for interesting articles. That way I don't have to give up hours of my time all at once. So from the outset, Robin Cooper's brilliant collection of letters was always going to appeal. The problem is that once you start reading you can't put it down. Really though, I mean it. Ended up reading the whole damn thing in one sitting, which goes right against my principles. Have to concede it is the funniest thing I've ever read. Only shame was it ended so soon. Hope there'll be another book. Might even set aside the time to read it all in one go again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chronicles of a Nutter, 11 April 2005
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
As an office worker, I recently had the dis(pleasure) of recieving a letter from a member of the public who likened all my colleagues to ladies and gentlemen of the night. Robin Cooper, whilst far from vicious or defamatory, uses the same obscure sense of the ridiculous to portray the perfect nutter-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands. He is every organisation's nightmare, bombarding them with silly, cringing, hilarious correspondence. I have been chuckling all week about his discovery of mustard made by wasps ("waspard")and replaying his darkly sinister notions of a childrens entertainer ("Icarus, thou art the flying man". Buy the book, if only to choke with laughter when he Mr Cooper reveals a teaser of his up and coming book The Sad Beaurocrat. Buy the book. You know you want to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out Loud, 22 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
A book full of letters written with tongue firmly in cheek this is laugh out loud funny. The replies that Cooper recieves are often just as funny, without intending to be. I firmly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good laugh

4.0 out of 5 stars This really made me laugh, 16 July 2005
Paul Johnson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
I read this in the course of one evening and have to say I don't think I have ever come across a book that has made me laugh out loud so often.
It is a collection of letters the author has sent to various organisations and the responses he is sent. The groups he writes to are incredibly diverse and the topics of the letters are bizzare to say the least. What is incredible is that people actually enter into correspondance with him and often the responses from serious people are by far the funniest thing in the book.
I highly recommend this, though would not advise reading it in public.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud if you like The Office/Vic Reeves etc, 26 Jan 2006
Andrew (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Timewaster Letters (Paperback)
These letters combine seriousness with absurdity in just the right ratio - the unexpected twists jump out at you and in many places are truly hilarious. The sort of book you can read in a couple of sittings or just dip into from time to time. I followed the advice of another reviewer and got hold of The Henry Root letters but possibly because they're 30 years old now they just felt rather pompous in comparison, so don't immediately assume that if you love Robin Cooper's letters you'll like Root's ones too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

The Timewaster Letters
The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper (Paperback - 22 Sep 2005)
4.79