5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you know IS wrong
I found this book to be very well written and a book that I couldn't put down easily. Being a long term Bob Geldof fan I was expecting the book to be more against him than it was, and yes in the start it was. The book does show you though how you can be influenced by what you are told and that you do not always know the whole story. I found it to be very well written and...
Published on 1 May 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing tale of lust, greed and death
This biography was written by Gerry Agar, one of Yates friends and part-time PR. Agar has first hand knowledge of people and events, although she cannot be described as permanent member of an "inner circle". Her tale unfolds from a casual meeting with Yates collecting kids from school and rekindling an old acquaintance.

Paula is described as "very intelligent",...
Published 22 months ago by Daniela. G.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Paula Yates, The Misunderstood Blonde, 31 Jan 2006
This book is an incredible read, about a gifted and intelligent woman, Paula Yates who from her childhood seemed to suffer from lonliness and a desperate need to be loved!
Her marriage to a controlling self absorbed Geldof, was replaced by a drug addicted serial womaniser. These two men claimed to totally adore and love her dearly, however I don't think she ever found the love she really craved. She spiralled out of control into an opiate fantasy world that Hutchence existed in, just to be a part of his life! Her legacy leaves 4 beautiful Daughters, who can carry her memory forward.
This book is well crafted by Gerry Agar.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much fluff, 24 Aug 2010
Gerry Agar confesses in this book that, during Paula Yates' lifetime, the two women colluded to drip poison to the press about Bob Geldof.

Why, then, should we take her insider account seriously, and believe her tales of life within Paula's circle?

To be fair to Agar, she makes it clear that there were many episodes she was not present at. And the incidents she describes are often of the most mundane kind - children's illnesses, chance meetings in the schoolyard, Paula's wonderful Christmas decorations and so on. The reader is left to slot these everyday observations into the more widely-known dramatic details of Paula's life and death.

There are a few moments of real drama and tension in the book, particularly when Paula is facing a possible drug charge, but Agar's lack of detailed insider knowledge tends to deny us a satisfactory insight to these events.

With the subject matter available, it should have been impossible to make this a frustrating read, especially with Agar's background in sensationalising the banal- but unfortunately, it really is rather frustrating. Even the title is barely explained in the text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who Knew?, 19 Jan 2005
Ms. S. E. Martin "Radio1Rox" (Ipswich, Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paula, Michael and Bob: Everything You Know Is Wrong (Hardcover)
A brillent story, As I was quite young, when all the whole Paula, Micheal, Bob triangle occurred, I came to approach this book with an open mind. I didnt, know their story and was willing to not pre-judge the characters.
I was shocked to Learn the effects of Paula's desent into drug's. All I remember, from the time was the News headline ' Paula Yate's found dead by 4 year old daughter' Im a fan of Bob's and found myself questioning this at the beginning of book, only to have it turned around again by the end.
You can't help feeling sorry for the Paula, you meet at the beginning of the book, who turned into something tragic, that she herself would have disliked.
you are made to feel sorry for the auther as well, but my main sympathies go out to her children, who have had to grow up in the shadow of everything that happened, and to Bob, who get to see his children grow up (like he did) without a mother.
it's a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars This is no sensational tragic tale, 1 Dec 2003
Paula Yates fascinated me from a very early age. Many of my fashion statements were influenced by this woman and up until meeting Michael, she seems to have had it all. I tried not to read the accounts of her gradual downfall in the tabloid press, the romantic in me not wanting to believe she could have fallen so far from 'grace'. I guess for some of us she'd become more like an old friend than an untouchable celebrity over the years and it appeared as though like many of us, all she ever wanted was to be happy. I approached this book with a degree of trepidation, and left it a couple of days later with an overwhelming sense of sadness. I couldn't put the book down, being drawn deeper into it's stark revelations and knowing that with the turn of a page the image of 'our Paula' would be blown apart. It had to be done, the truth about these individuals had to be told, and it was told with style, sensitivity and astonishing attention to detail. Agar is indeed a woman with insight; she was obviously keeping a diary of her friendship with Paula - who wouldn't have?- and has skillfully managed to intertwine what could have become a simple date/time/incident account with moving and honest thoughts and feelings as the lives of all concerned were affected and torn apart by this destructive relationship. Agar's insight into Paula's personality was for the most part painful to read, her actions, the single-minded way in which she felt compelled to manipulate, lie and deceive all around her left a nasty taste in the mouth. Drugs, dependancy, obsession and the ultimate demise of two of the most colourful, talented, intelligent and fatally flawed individuals of our times are documented here in one of the most enthralling reads of recent years. Personally speaking, I think the author has achieved her goal. I've taken the time to stop and look at my life - there is need for change for most of us, maybe not on the scale of those detailed in this book, but change nontheless. Help is there if it is needed, if only we can be human enough to ask, honest enough to admit. Just one last thing. The British press and their relationship with those in the public eye - the revelations were shocking, the 'leaking' of stories and trading of gossip, are we the public really so gullible? Or so hungry and bored with our own lives that we need to perpetuate this feeding frenzy? Enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous, 2 Jan 2007
S. Suthers (Portsmouth) - See all my reviews
This is the best book I have read in a long time. From the front cover to the back I couldn't put this book down. I was a great fan of Paula Yates and after reading this book have been left surprised at how sly and calculating she could be at times when she wanted to get her own way. There was no getting away from it, she loved Michael Hutchence with all her heart, but on reading this book I can't really make my mind up whether he honestly felt the same way about her, I felt he was really struggling with their relationship and stayed with her because of Tiger. (Why else would he have all those one night stands and a long term relationship with someone else)!! I did think that when Michael and Paula died, that Bob Geldof had contributed to their stress and depression, but after reading this book I realise now that he was only trying to help her out, trying to get her to sort her life out. He loved her til the day she died, and how lovely that he took on little Tiger. This book is brilliant, I have learned an awful lot about Paula, MH and BG by reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was death the only answer, 10 Oct 2003
This is a gripping and sad story, expertly told by Ms Agar who obviously lived through this tragedy, and appears to be still affected by it. Having met and socialised with Michael many times prior to his meeting Paula I was particularly taken with the authors uncanny description of the Michael I knew - fresh enthusiastic, carefree and fun - and the gradual transformation caused in no small part by Paula's obvious manipulations, into a depressed shell of his former self, until his sad death.
The story is a stark warning of the negative effects of drugs, alcohol, obsession, well meaning but calculating friends, and massive press interference. A lie lived in the publics eye.
The big question in the book must surely be - did Ms Agar do the right thing, informing the police of the drugs in the house? In my opinion it was absolutely the right thing to do, but a shame that the other 'friends' did not help Ms Agar, rather than cover up for Paula and Michael. If they had, Paula and Michael might be alive today. You have to read the book to make your own decision, but it was certainly a very weighty responsibility for anyone to make.
There are huge lessons to be learned,if you read this book you will understand a lot of what was the tragedy of Paul, Michael and Bob.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 15 July 2014
I simply could not put this book down well written very touching and from the heart , a must read

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 20 May 2011
Save the money and avoid this book, just a bunch of gossip for the morbids. Just one of the many attempts to raise money out of the private lives of famous people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 1 July 2004
I wasn't fully aware of the story behind this love triangle, only snippets of what I heard in the press. I was completely absorbed by what I read. I went from blaming Bob, to Michael to Paula. I was interested to learn about the situation regarding Michaels death, but after reading I am still not any clearer as to what happened. The whole story just proves how much drugs can change you. It was interesting to get an insight as to the truth beind what the press write and where they get their information! Its just a shame that it is a true story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Backstabbing is wrong!, 5 Sep 2007
Apart from learning some more disturbing facts about these three icons, I found that I felt the author had an agenda for spilling the beans. Not only does Ms Agar repeatedly point out her lack of funds throughout the times spent with paula but also bleats on about promises of 25% commision for her supposed work. Well I,m sure profits from this book now outway what she felt was owed to her. She comes across as a jealous and possesive hanger-on, obsessive about wanting famous friends and I can proberly imagine Bono and the rest saying 'Gerry who? Oh yeah the over eager one, up Paulas backside'. For someone who portrays themselves as wanting to help others through therapists I hope she can reccomend some to those four girls left behind who have to read this scathing of their parents. All I can say is I felt fabrication outwayed facts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Paula, Michael and Bob: Everything You Know Is Wrong
Paula, Michael and Bob: Everything You Know Is Wrong by Gerry Agar (Hardcover - 15 Sep 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01