5.0 out of 5 stars great book
the best book I've ever read on suicide, and only one I came across that seemed to know what they were talking about - other books can be very academic and theoretical. Lots of personal stories, and clear and compasionate explanations about different stages of this very different grief; great at understanding and breaking the isolation.
I read it first about 10...
Published on 28 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure how I feel about this book
This is the first book I have read discussing suicide and its after effects, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was looking for some answers, some indication of what I can expect while going through grieving someone who killed themself.

Published on 20 Mar 2012 by Trees

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 28 Jan 2003
By A Customer
I read it first about 10 years ago, and it was a huge help, and I bought many copies for friends and people I came across who were also devistated by their own bereavement through suicide. I've re-read it many times since....

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gave me great comfort., 25 Mar 1999
By A Customer
In December my 43 yr. old Mother comitted suicide. Words cannot describe the shock, guilt and loss one feels. I certainly know that I have never felt anything that painful. I don't have any siblings so it fell on me to make all of the arrangements and to try to somehow sort this out. This book explained everything I was feeling was 'okay' and 'normal' from the sleep loss to the nightmares to the guilt I feel every single day. It continuously helps me feel not so alone. The hardest part is that due to the nature of my Mom's death I am very hesitant to talk about it which does, in my opinion, limit the greiving process. I looked for books about this topic at my local bookstores and couldn't find much, KUDOS to Amazon.com for having such a wide selection and to the author for providing insight and comfort in my time of need. I recommend this book as a must read for survivor's of suicide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide (Paperback)
As you are reading this book I would assume you have been affected by suicide which makes this book hard reading as it hits all the chords and reminds one of the situation you are in. However, it is reassuring to know that what I am feeling and how I am coping with things is normal. It also allows me to give myself a break and say "ok so it's alright to cry" or "it's ok to get angry" Following other peoples true stories helps me to understand some of the whys which I could never answer on my own. The book is worth the money but be prepared to be emotional through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential book, 16 Feb 2009
This review is from: Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide (Paperback)
I lost my brother 3 months ago after maybe 30 years of living with that possibility and have spoken to his doctor about what happened and had counselling. They can sympathise but that's all. By page 50 which concentrates on the immediate aftermath of the first 6 months. I was in tears but ones of hope for the first time as for the first time in a long time I did not feel alone. This book will save lives. If you need support you must read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of all - a lifeline in the middle of madness, 20 Jan 2006
Daniel Kerr (Aberystwyth, Ceredigion United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great.... we are never alone with people who write books like these....... Magic to help the madness following it all....
You saved MY life
Thanks
Danny

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure how I feel about this book, 20 Mar 2012
Trees (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide (Paperback)

Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about this book - some parts were very helpful. There are so many extracts from people's discussions on suicide and how they have coped, and reading these was reassuring - so many of their feelings, I have had as well. And moments where I feel like i'm actually going a little bit crazy - people describe similar moments, which again, is reassuring. It's good to know you're not alone.

But a large part of the book focuses on bargains - the emotional deals we make with ourselves in order to cope. And within that, a large amount of focus seems to be placed on anger, and where we direct it. I struggled with this part as I just didn't agree with it, and it seemed such a recurrent theme. I don't feel a huge amount of anger, but when I do, I think its valid whether it's directed at myself or others. I felt the book was saying that this anger should be directed at the person who commited suicide and that to direct this anger at yourself or family, or members of the medical profession, is a way of re-directing this anger.

I don't know... I do think this is a good book, but I did get some help from it, but some parts I really did struggle with. It's only been 3 months since I lost someone I loved to suicide, so maybe I came to this book too soon. If I read again and feel differently, I might post another review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and educational., 27 July 2013
S. hicks "silvershe" (herts,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book alot, it was open and made me think a lot about suicide and how it effects everyone. How it has a ripple effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book, 14 Dec 2013
I thought this book was very helpful and sensitively written. When a family member or friend commits suicide it must inevitably leave so many unanswered questions. Reading other people's experiences and seeing how similar responses come up time and time again, was profoundly helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, buy this book., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide (Paperback)
It seems trivial to read a book at this time, but this help just a little, we recommend this to everyone suffering.

5.0 out of 5 stars at last people I can relate to, 23 Aug 2014
Engaging, provocative, thoughtful, a blend of experience, advice and heartfelt empathy.
Took me 22 years to find the courage to decide to explore h

Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide
Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide by Christopher Lukas (Paperback - 15 Mar 2007)
12.87