Format: Hardcover|Change

I wish I had this extraordinary book when I was a child! It is truly a Godsend. Masterfully written and beautifully illustrated, this book helps you celebrate the Autism Experience. What makes this book stand out are the rich illustrations; the list of highly accomplished people with autism such as comedian/actor Andy Kaufman; pop poster artist Andy Warhol; musician Glen Gould; Issac Newton; philosopher Kant; Dian Fossey; Nika Tesla; John Cornell and many others. This is a book that will inspire pride, hope and joy among the autism/Asperger's (a/A) world and certainly enlighten the neurotypical (NT) world as well!
Each one of the people in this book were on the a/A spectrum. Many of them, such as the philosopher Kant predated the terms "autism" and "Asperger's" and learned to live with their sensory and perceptual differences. Each and every one of these people have demonstrated how to live successfully on the a/A spectrum. No "Rain Men" here! I just love this book!
Luckily stores in my town have copies of this book and I feel it is something everybody will benefit from. Be sure to ask your libraries to order this book. God bless those who were directly involved in putting this together. This is a book that makes you want to wave your Enigma Banner and celebrate the a/A experience!
on 25 July 2011
My 6 year old is a recently diagnosed Aspergers with a very high IQ, and this book was just what he needed to help him understand he's not on his own. The look on his face as he discovered about these amazing people and their achievements made this book worth every penny. I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 31 March 2013
This is an inspiring book for children who feel they are 'different' because they have autism. This is also a helpful book for parents/carers of children with autism as it helps us see the positives of their little quirks and how this helped famous people in their life.
on 10 May 2007
This book celebrates the differences of people in a clear, straightforward way, by using the examples of famous people past and present. Improving self esteem and confidence in children is vital, but never so much as when the child has a difference. Also good to read as a parent or family member to remind us to always build on strengths.
on 11 November 2008
This book sure gives a lot of hope to any kinds of autistic people; it shows us all the people mentioned in this book turned out to be successful although they weren't always good at fitting in. Simply put, they were differently-abled, not mentally retarded at all. I guess that's mainly because they had different sort of talents nobody else had ever thought of. I know there are still biased people against mental illness and impairments. However, I'd like them to deal with this book to think twice about mental or developmental challenges.

And let me get it straight: You'll eventually get burned if you put down this book! That's why I would like not only people with autism or AS but NT people to buckle down to this inspiring book! Don't label this 'just for kids only'!
on 5 November 2012
My son, who is 8, is an academically bright boy who can struggle with social interactions and definitely sees the world a bit differently to some of his peers.Researching homework about heroes we came across this book and ordered it more from curiosity than anything else. It arrived an hour ago and is being read from cover to cover with complete absorption. It has the perfect combination of interesting detail and humour, with my son constantly telling me a new fact he finds amazing as well as laughing out loud from time to time. This book discusses autism in the well written and relaxed introduction but after that it focuses on the amazing achievements of people from Einstein to Mondrian. What is particularly endearing is the way the narrative on each character renders them very human discussing their likes and dislikes, good and bad habits as well as their inventiveness and creativeness - all are discussed with equal emphasis. Thanks for writing this book - I have had real pleasure watching my son read it tonight and it will be valued for a long time.
on 25 November 2009
I found this book to be a positive outlook for my son who has aspergers, he was able to relate to these famous people and their lives. Very informative.
on 16 November 2012
My daughter (10) was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and the educational psychologist recommended trying to find positive role models for her who have made successes because of their condition. This book does exactly that. A great addition to her book shelf and an eye opener for her that her diagnosis changes nothing about who she is, it just helps us understand her better and she can use it to the best of her ability.
on 22 January 2013
This is a beautifully illustrated book with a page for each person that is easy to read for older children, or easily read to younger ones. It's not a thick book, but well worth the money to show your child that there are limitless possibilities for children with Autism to aspire to. Dian Fossey, Piet Mondrian, Albert Einstein, Andy Warhol and many more.
on 11 February 2006
This is a nice concept, but I think it focuses too much on the great achievements of these famous individuals and not enough on the difficulties they experienced, either documented or speculated about. But for this it would get 4 stars instead of 3. It gives a good positive message that being ‘different’ doesn’t always hold you back from achieving or doing what you want to do, however the tragedy is that it often does. This book should not be used to put kids under pressure or give them unrealistic expectations.
My other gripe is, and no offence to Temple Grandin, but it is a sorry state of affairs that she is the only living and / or diagnosed autistic person in this book. What of people like Steven Spielberg, Bill Gates, and Dan Akroyd, of whom rumours abound of their belief that they have Asperger Syndrome? If this is true it is people like this who should be role models for young people on the spectrum. That is the book I would now like to see.