4.0 out of 5 stars not in front of the patients, please
This book is both disappointing and fascinating.

It is disappointing for the reader to discover that the author despairs of finding an effective treatment, and has encountered so many psychologists who fail to understand her condition.

Published on 19 May 2007 by JG

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 18 Jun 2007 by Busy mum

4.0 out of 5 stars not in front of the patients, please, 19 May 2007
JG (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with Emetophobia: Coping with Extreme Fear of Vomiting (Paperback)
This book is both disappointing and fascinating.

It is fascinating because it is written by someone who is unafraid to reveal her irrational thoughts and actions, and the work shows a number of repetitive themes that offer a useful insight into the emotional turmoil of emetophobics.

In my view, this is just about the last book an emetophobic should read, but a pretty good read for any psychologist with deep and genuine concerns about the issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Jun 2007
I am so disappointed by this book. I have been waiting impatiently for it for months, only to discover that it is basically a long description of what it is like to be an emetophobe. Granted, that is useful and I agree that it can serve an important service in informing people about emetophobia. But that description adds nothing to what can be found on any of the emetophobia forums.

If you want to learn how to COPE with emetophobia, as promised in the title, this is not the book for you. It will just reassure you that you are not alone. As an emetophobe myself, I was hoping for some real advice and informed discussion of different approaches to getting better. However, the author is incredibly brief (only 3.5 pages) on coping strategies and basically concludes that no kind therapy can cure you. For example, the author's discussion about cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) is limited to "Next I tried CBT and again nothing happened. Talking about the past, recounting past events where vomitting had been involved, did nothing to lessen the phobia." This is a wildly inaccurate explanation of what CBT is. CBT is not about "talking a problem away". I also find the author's discussion of desensitisation ("This desensitisation is the most laughable idea") unhelpful and indicates a lack of understanding of the approach.

Furthermore, her repeatedly statements that no emetophobes have ever been cured is also desperately discouraging for anyone looking for a lifeline. My message is: please don't be put off by this book from looking for ways to get better!

I have suffered from emetophobia all my adult life (I am 38). I have been in therapy for one year and my life has been transformed by it. I admit that I am not cured. I still fear being sick beyond everything. But I am no longer confined to my house, I can look at vomit in the street without freaking out, and have even cuddled my daughter after she vomited. For me, that is fantastic! Every day I get one tiny step closer to understanding the phobia, understanding myself and my body and understanding how anxiety plays a crucial role in my life. This is invaluable and has largely come about through six months of CBT. CBT is hard and demands a lot of effort and a lot of bravery. Desensitisation is also hard and unpleasant to do. But it can help. Taking the desensitisation slowly and taking the time to recognise what is going on in our heads when we sweat and tremble while looking at a stupid photo on the internet is all part of dissecting this horrible, debilitating phobia.

As my therapist said to me, do whatever you think will work for you. I am sorry it did not work for her, but I sincerely hope that Ms. Heaton-Harris has not put off any emetophobes from trying CBT for themselves.

I encourage others who want to actually DO something about their phobia, rather than just accepting their lifetime membership to the Emetophobia Club, to find a therapist who is willing to learn about emetophobia with them. I also encourage them to read "Mind over mood" by Greenberger and Padesky as a starting point to identifying the negative thoughts that unconsiously underpin their fears. And also read "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Bourne which - although it doesn't mention emetophobia - does have a wealth of information on relaxation, identifying negative thoughts and many other subjects.

1.0 out of 5 stars Emetophobics proceed with caution!, 27 Jan 2008
I had high hopes for this book but was also disappointed.

The synopsis says "Living with Emetophobia is a must-have for anyone suffering from emetophobia, anyone living with an emetophobic as well as professionals treating or supporting people with emetophobia". I personally feel this is misleading.

This is a great book for those on the outside of the phobia to read but not for those, like myself, who have emetophobia. That is, unless you want to read about just how bad you could be with this phobia. Emetophobia manifests itself in many different ways. Personally I don't find it helpful to read at great length about other ways it could affect me that, so far, I've been lucky enough not to worry about!

As another review has said, this book is almost completely about what it's like to have emetophobia. Don't be misled by the word "coping" in the title, it is being used purely as an alternative to the word "living". There is very little self-help in this book. If, like me, you are looking for solutions then you may feel short changed by this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to explain what this phobia is like to live with!, 23 May 2007
Jackie Ley (Hampshire. U.K.) - See all my reviews
I also suffer with emetophobia and think this book will really help people who have emet because like me it makes you realise that you are not alone with this awful phobia. I know there is no miracle cure explained in the book, something we would all like, but there is no cure (as yet, but we keep hoping) Like the title says "Living with emetophobia" it explains what it is like to live every day with it and it also has stories from other people who live with this horrid phobia.

I for one think it is an excellent read, also it will also help emet sufferers to be able to pass the book onto family and friends so they can read it and understand the phobia a little better rather than having to keep repeating yourself and trying to explain to them what emetophobia is. I for one am going to be passing my copy onto my Doctor so he can read it and understand it a lot more.

Jackie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor, 29 Oct 2009
C. Reader - See all my reviews
Three and a half pages on 'coping strategies' (which tell you to breathe deeply and 'get busy'.) The rest of the book describes all the symptoms, which a sufferer knows only too well!

My copy is in the bin .. Save your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what i expected!, 15 Oct 2009
Ms. Nj Pugh "Gnat_3prid" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
I am 22 years old and have suffered with emetophobia as long as i can remember. When i was younger i felt like i had control of my phobia but now i feel it is controlling me.

I have been to see my doctor several times and been diagnosed as having Irritable Bowel Syndrom and an OCD but none of them seem to understand that all of my problems relate back to this extreme fear and so i am no closer to finding a way of coping.

I saw this book on an emetophobia support website and decided to buy it as the title suggests it will help the reader to cope. I was so disappointed with this book!! Don't get me wrong, it is a brilliantly written book but it simply describes in great detail how emets suffer and does not actually offer coping strategies at all!

I was also very disheartened by the authors statement that no one is ever cured of emetophobia!! This is controlling my life and i am really struggling with every day at the moment so to have this book tell me there is no cure was a bit of a blow.

Nevertheless it is very informative and i feel would be much better suited to be given to a family member or friend to help them understand how you feel.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, nothing special, overpriced, 22 Sep 2012
having suffered from a fear of vomiting since childhood I downloaded this onto my kindle. I have nearly finished the book and in summary i would say this is more useful for those wanting to understand emetophobia rather than provde any practical advice for those who actually have emetophobia. I was expecting to find coping strategies, and whilst it does evaluate the usefulness of various treatments which is helpful it did not tell me anything I don't already know. It describes the phobia in depth and to be fair the author does state that the book is aimed at those who wish to understand it, from professionals to family and friends and for that I would say it is very good. As the author states it is not very well understood, and often gets misdiagnosed as anorexia or health anxiety. I did however consider it to be a tad overpriced.
Definately better aimed at non sufferers rather than sufferers themselves

1.0 out of 5 stars Mehhh, 21 Mar 2012
I personally haven't read this book, I'm sure its good to know what life it like living with a phobia of sick but for people like myself I know all to well what it's like so there is no point buying this. And there has been people who has suffered with a phobia of votiting and has been CURED so don't give up hope, you've just got to find the right therapy/therapist that suits you

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 31 May 2014
I am emetophobic. I bought it myself understanding that it wasn't a 'fix it' book. It helped me learn about my own fear, and made me realise there a others who suffer to.
My family are not understanding of the fear at all, so I gave it them to read. It helped them to understand that what I have is 'real'.

1.0 out of 5 stars disheartening, 6 Nov 2013
i found as a sufferer that this book did me way more harm than good. it made me give up hope that i would ever get better. i am now loads better but not as a result of this book.
its nice to know someone understands what its like but that really is is it.

Living with Emetophobia: Coping with Extreme Fear of Vomiting
Living with Emetophobia: Coping with Extreme Fear of Vomiting by Nicolette Heaton-Harris (Paperback - 15 April 2007)