5.0 out of 5 stars Making Babies the hard way - it is very true
Published on 6 Jun 2007 by A Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't always that bad
Published on 15 Dec 2010 by Anna

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Babies the hard way - it is very true, 6 Jun 2007
This review is from: Making Babies the Hard Way: Living With Infertility and Treatment (Paperback)
I have read quite a few books on the challenge of infertility and fertility treatment and none of them capture the emotional, financial and relationship issues as well as this one does. A brilliant part talks about the unhelpful things that people say and the helpful things that people say and should be read by everyone who is touched by fertility issues amongst family and friends.

It really was like listening to my own personal dilemma's, thoughts, hopes and fears in a very real and honest way.

I am so greatful to Caroline and Bruce for having the courage to tell it like it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A searingly honest account of what infertility treatment really involves, 31 May 2007
This book is a 'must read' for anyone considering or having fertility treatment, and for their friends,relatives and professionals. The different treatments available and what they involve are clearly explained and very useful, but what is most relevant and graphically described was the impact of comments made by well meaning friends, family and even experts - as well as the cumulative effects of the treatment itself - on the couple's relationship. We get the 'his and hers' points of view, so it's not just an eye opener, but a real tear-jerker too.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book-highly recommended, 30 May 2007
A. E. CARTER - See all my reviews
A wonderful book. A sensitive and touching account of a couples struggle to have a family. I really felt the highs and lows,and in her honesty and beautiful story telling caroline gallop 'invites' us into her world.It is educational and informative; and the issues covered, current in a world where infertility is becoming more and more prevailent. In sharing her story Im sure Caroline Gallop will inspire and encourage many other couples experiencing a similar situation.Highly recommended,and would be a useful read for medical practioners also.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book - essential reading for those having treatment, 20 April 2009
I have recently had a failed cycle of IVF and was looking for a book to give me information and support to get through the next cycle.

This book was even better than I had hoped it could be. The information is there, but not in technical terms which go over your head, but with careful explanations as to what happens at each stage. The impact physically and emotionally on you and your partner was described in a very honest and open way, and having the male point of view from Bruce certainly added a great deal to the whole book.

Thank you to Caroline and Bruce for allowing the world into their personal battle and sharing a very difficult time in a way which I am sure will be extremely helpful to other couples.

5.0 out of 5 stars A relief to find someone who can express the feelings, 7 Dec 2010
I have been through treatment for a long time and this is the first book I have read that doesn't tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing and what you have being doing wrong etc. It is raw and honest and expressed emotions I had previously found difficult to express - it really helped me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Read, 10 Aug 2014
I bought this book, following my first failed IVF cycle in 2008. A meeting with the author, at a fertility conference, was my inspiration for the purchase.
Some reviewers have said this is not a good guide to fertility treatment. It's not a guide. It's one couples account of their journey. Everyone's journey is different.
We were blessed, on Cycle 5, with a son. I still re-read this book from time to time and it will always tug at my heartstrings.
In particular, Caroline's letter to her older childless self-anyone touched by infertility cannot fail to be moved by this.

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't always that bad, 15 Dec 2010
Oh My God - if I'd read this book before I embarked on my infertility treatment I don't think I would have ever got as far as the clinic door. And, she never even got as far as IVF treatment! I'm currently having treatment for my first cycle of IVF (three previous failed attempts at IUI) and haven't suffered ANY symptoms. Maybe I'm just lucky but for anyone out there who is thinking about buying this book as a guide to what you have to go through to have a baby if you can't conceive naturally, it isn't always that bad. AND, I'm doing it without a supportive partner and none of my friends, work colleagues know. Please don't be put off infertility treatment if you really want to have a baby - it doesn't have as big an impact on your life as you think it might - and it will ALWAYS be worth it if you end up having a baby at the end of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 15 Nov 2012
I loved this book read it all in a day when was raining outside and nothing to do....It's great and easy to read the way its written from two poins of view to show men goes through it all too and they have there own feelings about everything!
Would read again and recommend to anyone like myself who wasn't gonna ever have a baby with the problems I have,but I'm truly blessed as my baby wish came true and have a son now

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Nov 2009
Amazing book Caroline describes the emotions associated with fertilty treatment so clearly and it really made me feel there was someone who understood what it felt like to go through the process and that you can come out the other side. As other reviewers said it sould be read by anyone who has someone close to them undergoing treatment as it really gives you an insight as to what is involved in the process in a clear and honest way. It really is a book written from the heart.

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok read, 12 Oct 2009
This book was ok but I felt it was very one dimensional. I guess it depends what you're looking for but I did not find this book inspiring & it's a little "out there" in terms of coping mechanisms. Again, this might suit some people but wasn't for me.

Making Babies the Hard Way: Living With Infertility and Treatment
Making Babies the Hard Way: Living With Infertility and Treatment by Caroline Gallup (Paperback - 14 April 2003)