5.0 out of 5 stars strangely comforting, 22 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Finding a Different Kind of Normal: Misadventures with Asperger Syndrome (Paperback)
My son was diagnosed Autistic when he was 3, and my husband thinks he's probably Asperger's. I am increasingly suspicious that I, too, am 'on the spectrum', looking back on my strange childhood, and the way I never seemed to fit it with the many different groups I tried to be a part of, and my many bizarre hobbies and habits. Still, I love myself, and adore my son and husband, I just think we're all very intelligent and good at training ourselves to pass as 'normal'!
This book, from its opening lines, is very comforting in the way Jeanette recalls facts from her childhood verbatim. Nothing is sensationalised, and thus she actually comes across as a very normal, if very individual woman. It makes events in my own life easier to understand. Hopefully, if more people like this tell their stories, without apology, those with Autism/Aspergers will start to feel able to live their lives without the constant need to justify their behaviour.
It is especially difficult for WOMEN with Asperger's to gain sympathy/understanding, as they are often much better at learning to fit in, and often people only expect males to have ASD. I am especially impressed with the way Jeanette describes how she was able to identify the ways in which she 'stuck out' and train herself to appear normal (eg her campaign to Australianise her accent and vocabulary).

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Insights About Aspergers Motivations and Behavior, 13 Aug 2006
Amazon Customer (Canberra, Australia) - See all my reviews
I have an adult son with Aspergers, and as president of our local Aspergers support group I have had a chance to meet many Aspergers adults. Reflecting some of those whose experiences are at the extremes, this book provides unique insight.

"Finding a Different Kind of Normal" will be of interest to families and professionals who want to better understand Aspergers adolescents and adults and some of the more difficult challenges they face -- aggressive violence, drugs, prison, depression and other psychiatric problems.

What I found most fascinating about the book is simply the very honest and straightforward way that Jeanette Purkis tells about her sometimes dramatic experiences, all the while providing considerable insight into her thinking, motivations and emotions at the time. Of course no two people think alike or respond exactly the same to a given situation, but Purkis's detailed descriptions of her inner world help us better understand the sometimes very different Aspergers way of being in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting comfortably?, 14 April 2014
D. Lambert (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
Heaven only knew how Jeanette got through her lifetime of discomfort and many fears. If you read this book you will find out how it might feel to think you have to apologise for being who you really are. And to arrive at the point where being who she really is, is a choice she would now make freely. This book is worth buying just for the Epilogue!

Finding a Different Kind of Normal: Misadventures with Asperger Syndrome