Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 October 2013
Our son used the book. It's been passed around the family and friends. It is currently at the school and all teachers are reading up on AS. I was going to highlight all the things that applied to our 9yr old son but there was so much info that was useful it would have been easier to highlight the things that weren't applicable!
This book is designed with children in mind and great to share with them so they understand what is going on with either themselves or siblings.
on 17 December 2012
Telling your child about a diagnosis of Autism or Asperger Syndrome is never going to be easy, but many parents put it off for far too long because they don't know what to say or how to explain. Jude Welton's has done a truly excellent job in creating a book to help. I have used and recommended it now with children from 7 years old up to 13 or 14. All have responded very positively except one who was unable to recognise any of the difficulties "Adam" experiences. Sine everyone else knew the young person in question did in fact experience the same problems it was clear we needed to work through some denial first. If your child is bright but has a diagnosis of Asd just explain its the same as Aspergers and read this book with them. It's a simple but excellent introduction which is best used in book format rather than kindle as the kindle formatting does not seem able to faithfully replicate the careful organisation of the book.
on 12 January 2011
Excellent book, I have given a copy to the school and had the in laws read it too. My son is not very severe and very highly intelligent so he doesn't fit the picture completely but there are a lot of things mentioned in there that other people would not think to link to Aspergers. It was nice to see it in black and white and point out to people involved.
on 16 September 2008
Most of the pictures shown in this book remind me of my childhood! I was completely unaware of Asperger Syndrome in those days, though. Especially, the one on p.18, which seems to indicate the similar experiences in my 1st and 2nd elementary school days. Everybody enjoyed playing ball,while I was just watching the scene almost all the time, not knowing what to do. Nothing was so embarrassing and awkward than that, if you ask me. Of course, I had tried my best to interact with the other children, mainly because I felt quite lonely. However, I was so afraid of `screwing up' or my poor motor skill that I wouldn't join them to avert my embarrassment. In short, I was preoccupied with such mixed and complicated emotions!
I'm sure this book tells about the experiences of people with AS and/or autism not only in the past but the present. And that will give them a lot of opportunities to gain happiness!
on 21 July 2009
Good book to give to those who know little of the complexities of an ASD disorder.
on 19 April 2013
A very short book that explains the basic challenges of Asperger Syndrome in a way that anyone can understand. Great for others involved in a child's care such as grandparents etc.
on 1 March 2011
Having been told my son possibly has aspergers I bought this book. It's a good book if your child is younger than mine (10) or with stronger aspergers symptoms (not sure that's the right way to put it). Still not convinced my child has aspergers, still looking for information that proves he does.
on 5 August 2011
It's ok, but deffinately aimed at children. On the other hand, being a quick read meant my husband actually read it!
on 24 October 2012
Nice and short, this book is an excellent overview of Asperger's. I have Asperger's and I found it very useful, because it has a short sentence and picture for younger children to understand, as well as a page explaining the diagram for adults. Highly recommended.
on 5 May 2014
I don't know why this was recommended. To start with it's so short I'd call it a leaflet. Secondly it only covers one persons very individual symptoms. It repeats itself over and over again. A complete waste of my money!!