5.0 out of 5 stars Written with Respect and Understanding
I have Asperger's Syndrome, an adult and married. I highly recommend ths book for adults too as the tips and strategies given are useful to anyone (children and adults) with Asperger's Syndrome and their respective Neuro Typical parents or parteners in life.

Published on 10 Aug 2008 by Manx Mann

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Prefer the Luke Jackson books but it is a good source of information
Published 3 months ago by Heather M Joy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Written with Respect and Understanding, 10 Aug 2008
This review is from: Parenting a Child with Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies (Paperback)

Unlike most books on Asperger's Syndrome, Berenda Boyd shows a great deal of respect, understanding and acceptance of Asperger's Syndrome. The book is in an easy to read unfussy style providing a clear guide that is broken down into understandable sections, practical and realistic, extremely well written book to just dip into or be read and re-read and keep referring back to time and time and again. Brenda really knows what she is talking about.

Brenda Boyd's positive attitude ensures readers will gain a sense of celebrating Asperger's as a life-enriching experience.

I especially like the very end of the book REPORT FROM PLANET ASPERGER which I always take with me where ever I am in the world. This shows people with Asperger's in their true light. Planet Asperger "would probably be kinder, safer and more truthful than this world" & "But perhaps the most special feature of all on Planet Asperger is the great respect given to children and their values."

I also liked how she compared Asperger's to Neuro Typicals akin to comparing trains to cars. As an Asperger, which ever way the tracks are laid, that's the way our train goes.

The intended audience is wide but the book's title could restrict the readership to parents and carers only, which would be a shame.

I highly recommend this book and think it is worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the book shelf!, 3 Dec 2005
I have read numerous 'Asperger' related books and have found this one certainly refreshing. By that I mean I have read biographies, text book based information books and various other books to help me understand aspects of Asperger Syndrome but this one I keep going back to. It is practical and interesting. If you are a parent of an AS child, then I personally recommend you buy this book for your bookshelf! You don't have to read it cover to cover (although I did find it interesting enough to do this) You can just keep 'dipping' into it when you feel you could do with a tip or stratagy. And yes, they really do work!

5.0 out of 5 stars A godsend, 1 Jan 2008
My 4-year-old has recently received a preliminary diagnosis of AS. I borrowed this book from the library by chance and it is so brilliant and practical and positive that I'm just logging on to Amazon at the moment to buy loads more copies for family, friends and teachers. Not only does it help you understand how your child thinks and feels but it provides very specific tips on dealing with AS behaviour which is working wonders on my daughter after just a month. Brenda Boyd - if you happen to read this - I want to say a very sincere and heartfelt thank you for changing my life and my daughter's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying for practical help, 8 Sep 2010
So much of this book reflects our experiences with our own son. I agree with other reviewers that most, if not all, of the strategies will work. It's a great book to dip into as and when needed. Our son does not have the social isolation problems that many AS kids have, but it certainly explains why his tantrums which started at 18 months still haven't stopped yet, 9 years later! Perhaps the subtitle should have been 'Nerves of steel and the patience of a saint'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Practical Book, Isn't It!?, 16 Sep 2008
I'm sure this book is very useful for adults with Asperger Syndrome as well as kids with AS and parents with AS children! The main reason is that this work is quite easy to understand and practical. Although I'm still single, I can see that raising AS and/or autistic children has been very stressful for their parents. Ordinary parenting doesn't always work when it comes to dealing with people with AS and other developmental disabilities. I think it is because this is exactly what ordinary people have never experienced before, which makes them harder to cope with. Certainly, most developmentally challenged people seem or look almost the same as any other people around them. However, they have been feeling different and distant from ordinary people, which is likely to lead to social inferiority and low self-confidence. I'm not the exception because I was diagnosed as ADHD and PDD(=Pervasive Developmental Disorder) when I was 34.
That's why I strongly feel that Parenting a Child With Asperger Syndrome: 200 Tips and Strategies will apply to my daily life. I know it is so difficult to carry out 100% of what is written in this book. But I'll try my best to cope with my difficulties in my life by comprehending gradually what she is driving at.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good resource for anyone working with AS children, 11 May 2009
Mrs. N. MCNEILL (UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book very down to earth and practical. It dealt with everyday issues in a sensible way.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a parent of a child with AS, 24 Nov 2010
L. Hewitt (Europe) - See all my reviews
As a parent of a child with AS I found this book very beneficial. If you are expecting your health care provider to provide you with information about this syndrome, you may be waiting. I found the tips in this book very useful as a means of understanding our special little man and also as a way of making our time together more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parenting a child with Asperger Syndrome, 29 Dec 2007
Really useful book by someone who knows what it is like. I have even bought a copy for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must- have for parents/ health care professionals., 31 Dec 2012
Very informative and easy to read. Great for parents/ health care professionals. Can read cover to cover or dip in and out of relevant chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 16 Dec 2012
this book is fantastic. I had no idea what had hit me over the last 7 years managing a child who was loving but seemed so defiant and as high school came got much worse. After finally chasing a diagnosis I brought this book and all the worries I have had have know gone as this explains everything and gives ways and means of dealing with the issues presented. Very cleverly written and a must have. thanks for opening my eyes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›