5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done to Luke Jackson
As an individual with Asperger's syndrome, I thought that it portrayed Asperger's syndrome perfectly, I could relate to almost all of it. The humour worked really well, because AS is normally portrayed really negatively. So, in summary, it made me laugh, cry, and realise that having AS isn't such a bad thing after all.

So, if Luke Jackson ever reads this, then...
Published on 9 Jan 2007 by E. H. Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant
I myself was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome when I was four years old. I thought the book was OK but I found that it made me feel seperate from everyone else. Luke is referring to AS kids as different people. AS people aren't different from other people, its just the wa of thinking. That was the negative bit.

I was impressed with Luke Jacksons style of...
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by Mr. B. Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done to Luke Jackson, 9 Jan 2007
E. H. Jackson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence (Paperback)

So, if Luke Jackson ever reads this, then very well done! I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it!!!

Jennifer Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars The breakthrough my asd/as child needed!, 14 Jun 2005
By A Customer
I have a teenage son who was diagnosed last year with Mixed Developmental Disorder, including ASD/AS. I borrowed this book in the hope that he would read it and understand a little about his condition. Obviously I myself am trying to learn and understand 'what makes him tick'and bagan to read it before him. Sentence after sentence, page after page it appeared that Luke (the books author and subject)and my son could be the same person and my son could indeed have written this book himself. My son, being sceptical of having this condition at first refused to read it, but after becoming agitated with me reading out the many parallels to his own life, took the book from my hands stating that he was going to find a page where something would prove that he indeed was different from Luke and did not have this condition. After dipping into the book randomly for 20 minutes trying to find something that would prove the professionals, myself and everyone else wrong he admitted defeat. Every sentence/ paragraph he had attempted to read out to me further added to the evidence against his own beliefs. It has challenged his own perceptions of himself and whilst he is still outwardly in denial about his condition there is no doubt that this book has had a great impact on him and he is definately more willing to find out more. To this end, the book has been a complete success, it has broken through a barrier of denial that for a long time has seemed impossible to penetrate. It doesn't offer any 'fixes' and I think Mothers will find this book more helpful than Fathers insofar as women very often need 'insight' and men very often need to find a solution. This book is definately now on my wish list. If you have friends or relatives who express the opinion that 'there is nothing wrong with your chid that X, Y or Z wouldn't cure' or that in order for there to be a 'condition' there must be visible obvious symptoms this may be the book that changes their persepctive as it doesn't bamboozle with science.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book i'll never forget!, 17 Sep 2003
I have twins too. one with Aspergere's Syndrome and ADHD combined and the other with a different learning disabilities but with Aspie tendencies. my son is also on a special diet as well as medication as he is slowly being weaned down. He does not follow the GFCF diet but his diet is specialised to his needs and more towards his ADHD. Your book Luke, touched my heart. I have been there (and still am!)but I did not know what life was like behind some of my son's closed doors and you helped me to see that by sharing your life and your family's. You are all stars and i salute you all. The diets are so difficult at times and you made me laugh and cry over it all. My son laughed at your brother with ADHD going real quiet on the diet and wanting to get in the kitchen. he laughed cos he did this too, he laughed WITH him not at him :O) I havent seen the programme yet but I am looking forward to it on video here.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and helpful, 11 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I have an autistic son and I have found Luke's book and excellent introduction for family and friend's who want to know more about the problems my son faces and how life is for him. Luke is a talented young writer and the book is a pleasure to read, and funny as well.
"maurice" indeed needs to revise his opinions. My son follows a gluten free diet and the fact that he is given casein has never caused any problems within the support group network. I found the lists of groups provided at the back of the book to be helpful (and freely available elsewhere).
I would highly recommend this book as an introduction to autism and I believe it should be read by *all* school teachers given the increasing numbers of autistic children entering the mainstream school system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, user friendly book., 29 July 2006
S. Browne (Tralee, Kerry Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a parent of a 5 year old boy who comes in the 'complex disorders' category; maybe AS, maybe ASD, maybe ADD/HD, maybe OCD... the list goes on, I found this book very heart warming and useful. Luke describes many traits that my son has, and advises how to deal with/ adjust to and understand these behaviours and unique ways of seeing and interpreting the world. I was so happy to gain these insights and to 'hear' Luke, brimming with intelligence and enthusiasm for his mission of enlightening us all, refer to his own experiences and slant on things.

Positive and uplifting. Highly recommended for parents, and also of course teachers and AS people amongst others (saving this for my son when he's old enough to read it).

Thanks Luke :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mother of a autistic boy., 8 April 2009
Busy Mum (Sheffield, UK.) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for anyone who knows someone who is autisic. It gives a really insight to the thoughts and feelings of people who have autisim.
It is very well written I think everyone should have a copy. It would be helpful if all the teachers in the schools and everyone generally read this book. It would help people to see beyond the label of AUTISTIC. I am going to give a copy to my little boys school maybe then they will see the little boy who just happens to be autistic and not the autistic boy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Luke, 11 May 2008
Im 15 years old and I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome (AS) last year and reading this book has changed my life. Before I was told I had AS, I was always picked on for being different and sometimes I was so depressed and felt so alone, I wouldn't get out of bed for days. When I was diagnosed, I was told to read this book by a family friend and in doing so, my life changed. Luke Jackson, the author of the book writes about the everyday struggles that AS sufferers have to deal with, and after I finished the book, i thought 'Im not alone, there are other people who know what im going through'. Now I have turned my life around and I am looking foward to my future. Luke Jackson, i just want to say 'Thank You' for making me realise that im not a freak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolesence, 28 Aug 2008
C. Reay (Doncaster, South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I first came across this book when I was at secondary school, and since leaving back in 2005, I have been searching for this particular title. I must say how highly impressed I was with this book and to read about the experiences of someone who has Aspergers Syndrome as it was a pleasure to read. This book is a real must for anyone who has Aspergers Syndrome or anytime of autism or for those who know nothing about this condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Luke is a star., 11 Feb 2006
Suzie "Say something about yourself!" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It is good to know that there is a book like this that teenagers with AS would find useful and accessible. I suspect though the market this book is aimed at is parents, and that often seemed to be who Luke was addressing. I could make a cutting comment about how I think parents should be listening to their own kids if they want to understand them better, and I guess I just have, but I know that is not always possible. Luke explains things clearly and sensibly, and this is as good a book as any for anyone of any age to read as an introduction to Asperger syndrome or to try and gain better understanding of an other. I hope Luke continues writing as he gets older.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insirpring, 25 Nov 2011
Absolutely brilliant book, a great start to learning about AS and autism as my little boy is currently going through the diagnostic process. Thank you Luke for a look inside your mind :)

Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence