5.0 out of 5 stars Change Activist - Make Big Things Happen Fast, 21 Feb. 2003
HEAD, HEART AND HAND -
This is really what Change Activist is all about - uniting these three important ingredients in everything you do. Sounds so simple and yet very few of us are actually able to carry it out in the many aspects that make up our lives.
This book is the most magnificent guide of how to make things happen - explaining that there are no limits, really, if we truly believe in something.
Hence, 'Change Activist' is not as the title might suggest on one single subject, isolated to a single area of life and work. Rather it is a philosophy for life, an attitude to life and everything we do living our lives on a daily basis. It is about making the impossible (or what we perceive as being impossible) possible. A possibility if we really want it.
It serves as a reminder to all of us that it is never too late or too impossible to change the way things are if we really want to. A reminder of the fact that we can all make a contribution, however small or big, towards a fairer and more humanistic world and way of life.
It is an inspiration to the ones amongst us who believe that certain things ought to change, and yet feel that we do not quite have the courage or confidence, neither the tools to take action.
Ms McConnell has a writing style that has so much integrity that not for one minute are you left in doubt that this woman means what she says, she is serious about everything she talks about and it is evidenced in the examples given in the book that she lives by the principles that she 'preaches' - quite unlike, I am sure, many other personal development book authors in the market. Her sense and use of humour throughout further proves that here is someone who has learned a few life lessons and yet she maintains a very healthy distance to herself.
This book contains a power that goes beyond words, and it can lead us to a better and more fulfilling way of leading our lives with a conscious and confidence to make a difference.
Throughout there are specific examples and practices and clear keys that show us how to discover for ourselves the change activist within us. It has a power to awaken presence and consciousness in us.
'Change Activist' is a must-read for anyone looking for a way to take action, a new take on life, a take on the rebel within us that needs to be let out and do something to make that all important difference - using our head, heart and hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Carmel McConnell be our answer to Oprah?, 9 April 2002
This review is from: Change Activist: Make Big Things Happen Fast (First Edition) (Paperback)
This is a great self-help book. I have finished a course of study in a new area after having been a lawyer for too many years. I am now trying to find a job and have had a few setbacks recently. I had reached the stage of wondering whether I had made a big mistake to give up my salary to find something more satisfying to do. I had bought this book for my husband (he still hasn't read it) but decided to have a look at it myself. As a result I now have a revived sense of enthusiasm for job hunting plus some ideas on how to do it more effectively. More importantly I have realised that it is not "mad" to want to make changes and to challenge the status quo. I was once told by one of my bosses that I was too idealistic. This book has helped me to see that he was not idealistic enough. If more partners in law firms had read Carmel McConnell's book I might still be a lawyer!
I enjoyed the bright colour of the cover, the difference in print size and type and the easily digestible chunks of wisdom. The exercises are practical-often self-help tasks are so daunting that I give up half-way through. These are manageable but still thought-provoking.
I'm so enthused I'm going to look up the web links listed at the back of the book. That's a first for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - and some of the proceeds to charity too, 27 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
This is a truly brilliant book. A mix of stimulation, inspiration and practical advice about making things happen in your work and your life, it really does make you sit up and see clearly what you need to do to get better results in everything you do - and to discover more purpose and more satisfaction too. What sets it apart from other books is that the author has
been there and done it - there's no preaching and lots of practice. And how great that all her proceeds from the book and some of the publishers too, go to the child poverty charitable project Magic Breakfast, that feeds hungry
children in the UK. Highly recommended.
Anne-Marie, Branding & Marketing Consultant, London

5.0 out of 5 stars Caution - this book might change your life, 28 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
What an amazing book! Hold on tight while Carmel McConnell takes you on a roller-coaster ride through change management in her own unique way. This book is fun, educational, challenging (very!!) and helps you take a long hard look at your organisation and your role within it. If you have ever felt you are just another number and can't make a difference then be prepared for a very different perspective. A must read for anyone whether you are going through a major change, whether you want to do something for society, or whether you just want to read a thought-provoking book written in a light-hearted way. Remember....angels can fly because they take themselves lightly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything orange is cool - this book included, 28 Mar. 2001
Let work be a great thing - this book tells you how. Operate with integrity, in other words all parts of you together at once, rather than "dis-integration". Carmel's book makes working for a corporation sound like operating as an underground revolutionary. Because it is. Also the cartoons in here are micro-works of comic genius. And did anyone else notice that the body shop on Oxford Street gave away its profits on Monday? I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary people can make a difference, 11 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Naomi Klein's No Logo tells about what activists have been doing to counter the rise of the brand and some of the unethical policies of such brands' purveyors. This book tells you how you, as an individual, can become an activist and make a difference. Whether to your own life or the wider social context - change only happens through people. Carmel McConnell provides some tools to help all of us make a difference to our own lives and / or the wider corporate and social environment in which we exist. The book is written in a conversational style, and you feel that the author is speaking to you personally - actually, she is.

5.0 out of 5 stars health warning - this book really could change your life!, 12 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Change Activist is about being true to yourself, about taking control of your life and doing the things you care about. It is easy to read - direct, funny and challenging - and hard to ignore. Carmel McConnell does the things she writes about, and demonstrates what can be achieved by people who care enough. Parts of the book may make you feel uncomfortable, but you will be challenged to be yourself, take your values to work and make a difference where you are. I'm all for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most stimulating book I've read in years, 5 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Oh I liked this book so much. Anybody who's ever sat at work and thought 'is this it?' - or in the author's words 'felt that the most dynamic thing in the office was the potted plant' - this is the book for you. It's smart, stimulating, funny, thought provoking and sometimes guilt-inducing (but in a good way). Gets to the core of how to makes things happen fast and gets you out of 'commerce induced coma'. Have a job and give a damn? I'm in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air!, 25 Jun. 2001
lizzieleg@hotmail.com (Seaford, East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Phew! - what a lady you are Carmel McConnell! This is truly brilliant writing, and, without sounding corny, yes, a book to 'change your life' - but in such a positive and outward looking way...
I am incredibly lucky working for a company who actively encourage empowerment by their very ethos, and encourage ideas from all levels - a rare commodity in this day and age. However, it is the only way to go in the future if we are to bring the workplace up to civilised standards.
Essential reading for all potential leaders (that's all of us!).
Look forward to the next book Carmel.

Change Activist: Make Big Things Happen Fast (First Edition)
Change Activist: Make Big Things Happen Fast (First Edition) by Carmel McConnell (Paperback - 19 Feb. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01