5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and deep and glorious, 6 Dec 2005
Rev.J.AllanTaylor (Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
It is difficult to do justice to this book in a review...you just need to read it! I read it from cover to cover in a few hours. It is a facinating, deeply moving, sad but life enhancing account of a baby's life. As a hospital chaplain I meeet, too often, parents whose babies live for only a short time or who do not live at all outside the womb. But they have, like the baby in this book, lived inside the womb and have experienced life and warmth and nurture and security and above all love. The book is really the story of how the baby affected the life of the family from 20 weeks onwards. Sarah Williams is a distinguished academic and a skilled writer but above all she is, along with her husband, a deeply compassionate woman and mother. The book contains many profound insights, has a rich vein of humour in the midst of sadness and is moving without being sentimental. Please read it and tell others about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazinginly heart warming, 28 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
Every mother, religious or not, should read this book. I am not a religious person at all but this book touches you in a way I have never felt before. Yes, it is sad and I cried long and hard but that sadness goes away with the realisation of the strength this family has, not only in a religious sense, but within themselves as a family. Sarah's daughters are so very brave and incredibly strong. A truly charming book to read. Thank you for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 28 Feb 2007
Ms. L. Speirs (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down, not for one minutes. It gripped me right from the start. It's a story of love, faith and courage. How Sarah and her family got through this I will never know.

I found my own faith challenged by it and it renewed in me a desire to make my faith the bedrock of my life - that I would remain steadfast despite my circumstances and that I can trust God to bring me through anything.

It cried many times while reading this book and would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone looking to be moved or inspired by anothers life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving and beautiful read, 3 Dec 2009
BBGreen "Chilibean32" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
As a mother of four children who has also lost a baby to misscarriage it took me a couple of weeks to prepare myself to pick up this book. But once I did it was impossible to put down. I grabbed a box of tissues and sobbed my way though.

The joy, pain and understanding Sarah gained through the life of her unborn daughter was very moving and also uplifting. As Christian myself, I believe that my child is now with the Lord, but this gave me a new understanding of my own grief and how precious my baby is to me. This is a very beautifully written book, well paced and full of honesty. I would highly recommend it to all grieving parents and anyone supporting them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and helpful, 20 July 2010
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
As a family waiting, for what the experts say is a baby that cannot survive outside the womb, this book has helped beyond measure as we prepare for a stillborn but at the same time long for a miracle. I would recommend it to anybody who is going through the prospect of losing a baby, or who has already gone through it and is trying to come to terms with what has already happened. This book clearly gives the Christian perspective, but I believe it would be helpful for anybody to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars allow yourself to be disturbed!, 19 May 2010
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
I agree with all the other reviewers that this is an amazing book. It is heart-rendingly honest and provides no easy answers. It challenged my views, and should make us all think about how we see the as yet unborn person. Indeed, it should be a must-read for the medical profession, and inform how we do things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible autobiography, 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
One the most touching and moving books I've ever read. Author has an amazing ability to explain and reflect on her deeply moving personal experience. Not a book you can stop reading once you start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 28 July 2011
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
The book received was exactly as described both in looks and content. Brilliant read, could have said to purchase a box of tissues with it though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me think and cry, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Shaming of the Strong (Paperback)
...highly recommend but not for the faint hearted. The courage, some would call it faith others would call it stupidity impressed on my beliefs. Certainly worth having on the bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars The shaming of the strong., 9 July 2011
Sarah Williams (the Author) and daughter of Jennifer Rees Larcombe
gives a detailed day to day living with her frustations of carrying a 'special' needs baby with so much unhelpful yet wise advice.Some who read this book
will have moral issues and yet will see clearly why Sarah came to those
decisions.I passed the book on and it's still doing the rounds. Buy it and
see what you think.

The Shaming of the Strong
The Shaming of the Strong by Sarah Williams (Paperback - 17 Feb 2006)