1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended material for debate., 12 July 2007
Peter G. Williams (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Does the New Age Movement Relate to Christianity? (Paperback)
I've recently finished reading Nicky Gumbel's book and have to say that I found it to be one of the worst pieces of ill-argued, polemic, finger-pointing, Holier than Thou, bigoted nonsense that I've ever had the misfortune to read. I had a good opinion of The Alpha Course before I discovered the opinion of it's "pioneer" and will now be avoiding their material like the plague unless I start to worry that my blood pressure is falling dangerously low.

Nicky claims he will describe "What exactly is the New Age Movement" on the back cover, but fails to really grasp the point on just about every page. Or was his intention to draw battle lines?

The New Age is "Detestable" (Page 12), "Horrible" (Page 15), "Extremes" (Page 17) , "Absurd" (Page 22),"Evil powers" (Page 23) ,"Satanic Counterfeit" (Page 24) and "Hollow and Deceptive" (Page 25).

Christianity on the other hand is "Supremely" (Page 16) , "Glorious Truths" (Page 20) and "Jesus is the only way of salvation" (Page 23) - no wonder Christianity is coming into conflict with others with an attitude like that!

The book starts flexibly enough. Pages 7 - 18 give a mostly excellent overview of many of the ideas available to New Age Thinking. John Stott's quote is right on the money, I'll have to read more of his work. But by page 20 we're right back into My Way or the Highway and Christians are told to "bring the good news of Jesus to those who are involved in the New Age." on page 27. The New Age movement is accused on making an "explicit assault" on the heart of true Christianity on page 16. Apparently we have "infiltrated the arts and music world" (page 12). Nicky makes me sound like a terrorist!

To conclude: I thoroughly recommend this book as essential reading to anyone on either side of the theological debate. Further, I suggest that it be added to the School's Religious Education Curriculum as valuable material for provoking classroom discussion. 5 Stars! Keep up the good work Nicky as you stand wagging your finger reproachfully at a world in crisis.

How Does the New Age Movement Relate to Christianity?
How Does the New Age Movement Relate to Christianity? by Nicky Gumbel (Paperback - 8 Mar 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01