‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate book for beginners, 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
I am a total novice when it comes to Aquariums, just about to make my own from scratch (thats siliconing the thing together as well!).

This book arrived the other day via Amazon's usual, (to date) faultless service, and I have read it front to back already.

Well set out and highly informative, especially aimed at the beginner but I feel sure the more advanced fishkeeper will find it helpful too.
Step by step setting up of the equipment detailing the alternatives available along the way.
Comprehensive section on aquatic plants.
Separate sections detailing first fish to buy, then second and then a selection of fish to be added when the tank is more established. Concentrates on the community fish but includes a selection of Cichlids suitable for the comunity tank.
One extra plus, is its indication of the size of each fish fully grown, something many books fail to do.

You can't go wrong with this book, worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, But Worth the Extra, 20 Nov 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is not cheap, even at Amazon prices but it is worth the extra few pounds. The author has been involved in the writing or co-writing of a number of aquarium/tropical fish books and has certainly got the hang of how to go about producing a good book, covering all aspects of fish-keeping.

The book takes you step by step through the business of setting up an aquarium, something that you must know how to do correctly, because if you don't the results can be catastrophic. Most people when they get a tank, immediately want to see some fish in it. Disaster strikes and they give up the idea of keeping fish before they have even started.

This book tell you the correct way to set up the tank when to introduce the plant and more importantly when to put fish in. Without going into great detail here, a chemical process needs to take place before the water is fit to put fish in. Putting fish into water that five minutes ago was in the tap is a sure recipe for disaster. The book explains what needs to be done step by step.

Follow the instructions in the book and you will have a wonderful looking tank with beautiful, healthy fish, some of which are shown in the excellent photographs in the book. The old saying "it's easy when you know how" illustrates why you should buy this book and anyway watching the movements of brightly colored fish , that rapidly become tame enough show their hungry when you get the food out is much better than watching TV and more relaxing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
I bought this because of the reviews & think it's as good as is claimed. My only reservation was that I looked for a trouble-shooting section when I had a problem with water-quality & didn't find one.

I know there is extensive advice about achieving the correct water-quality but I hoped to find a quick solution when my tank-water was poor. The section on water chemistry is extremely useful & if I'd had the book a couple of weeks earlier, when I got my fish, I probably wouldn't have had any difficulty. I'd just like to have had quick-reference help on sorting it. That said, my other 2 aquarium books were not as useful as this one.

I think the week-by-week format is very good & the illustrations & writing-style are of very high quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping tropical fish, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
As a new tropical fish keeper this book is a great source of information. Written in simple terms and well laid out.
Also very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
me an my wife are just about to jump into aquarium project and were looking for something which could explain in detail from A to Z. This is the one! Very pleased with the layout and photograph quality. It really does the job and gives you a clear picture where to start and how to progress. If you are a beginner then this book is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
Planning to get my new aquarium so decided to purchase a book for 'rookies'. I'd rate it very high - its got all the neccesary information and leads you step by step through all the stages of setting up a tank.
Delivery without fail. Would highly reccommed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starters book, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
Had a fish tank 25 years ago, how things have changed, this book could not be better for the beginner, cant go wrong if you just follow the day to day instructions, I love it, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
This book is a must have for anyone starting a new aquarium. I brought this before I started & used it at every stage of setting up my tank, buying plants, buying fish, understanding chemical levels & maintaining it. I think I will keep this book handy for a long time yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!!!, 18 Jun 2011
Max Bednarski "Max Stanley" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
I am really happy with the way the book explains and illustrates EVERYTHING about setting up week by week a fish tank!
I have 5 aquariums at home and it's my hobby for years.. and this book .. even after many years of experience answered me many questions.
you won't regret it! really worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week (Hardcover)
Excellent guide ! it is well worth the money ! dont hesitate buying it ! i am so glad i bought this book, it has helped me so much, the week by week guide is very useful and the clear images are making it so easy to start a fishtank !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week
Setting UP a Tropical Aquarium Week-By-Week by Stuart Thraves (Hardcover - 28 Feb 2010)
14.77