4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of selkies
Published on 15 April 2012 by Book chatter

I recently read Siobhan Dowd's Ransom of Dond, a tale told in the style and form of a traditional tale. This is similar - based itself on the stories of the selkie, seals who change form into humans. I'm afraid I found myself struggling with this.

I listened to the audio version, read by Sian Phillips. At only two hours, it felt much longer.

Berlie...
Published 14 months ago by K. J. Noyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong setting and beautiful language will unfortunately not 'sell' this to Wimpy kid readers, 18 Feb. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Daughter of the Sea (Paperback)

Berlie Doherty certainly doesn't write down to children. But the appeal of a tale like this is going to be very limited. I read it in advance of my Junior Book Group all reading a Doherty book. While I might say that the language is beautiful, the writing evocative, it's also a little bit (and I hate to say it) dull. I've read and loved Street Child and know Doherty's range but I'll be hard-pushed to manage to 'sell' this to my group.

It concerns a childless couple who long for a baby and whose wish appears to be granted by the appearance of a little girl from the sea. But she is destined to be discovered a selkie, a seal in human form. It's a tale that works well as a short folk tale. But for me didn't work as a longer one. Very sorry Berlie, as I'm looking forward to trying some of your others!

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale of selkies, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Daughter of the Sea (Paperback)
Based on legends from iceland and the North, this is a story of a childless couple who one day find a baby girl abandoned in the sea, bring her up as their own, but have to face the consequences as she grows up and her people want her back. Interwoven with selkie tales as the girl discovers who she really is, the book can't have a happy ending. An OK read, easy and quick, but not outstanding.

Daughter of the Sea
Daughter of the Sea by Berlie Doherty (Paperback - 5 Jun. 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01