Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 April 2008
I bought this book by mistake for my 10 month old but i'm glad i did. It is very well written and the illustration is great. I always read to my baby before i put him to bed and although he is too young to understand, he really loves this book. It seems to grab his attention much more than any other book i read to him.
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2007
This is a cracking book which starts with a picture of a long queue outside the loo block at a zoo. Two children waiting outside spend their time speculating what animal might be inside and what might be causing the delay. The story flows well with good rhythm and rhyme "Is it a tiger who needed a tiddle, a wandering wombat who wanted a widdle, a waddling penguin too frozen to piddle?"
"Is it a crocodile clipping his nails? Or is it a coachload of elderly snails?"
Admittedly the subject matter is a tiny bit risky for an elderly relative with a strong sense of decency and a sensitive constitution from an era gone by. Your children however will love that. And the whole book's really rather tastefully done and very definitely fun. The illustrations are absolutely smashing as you'd expect from Adrian Reynolds, a master of bright and appealing picture books. My three roar with laughter at pictures of a hippo's fat bottom with a toilet seat stuck on his bottom, and poor little velvety mole who reached for the paper and fell down the hole (so perhaps one to avoid when toilet training).
A firm favourite in our house.
And if you like this, try also Someone Bigger by Emmett and Reynolds which has a similar feel and pace and is another cracking title.
on 10 July 2008
I can thoroughly recommend this book. It reads really well and my three year old twins love reading it to us as well as having it read to them frequently.
on 23 May 2014
Although not stated, this is actually a shortened version of this story. (Which I had borrowed from a library.) Something that was very disappointing to discover and is the reason for the two star review.

It's not mentioned on the book or in the sales description that this is the case. I feel the publisher, Andersen Press, should be more transparent. It's not something I've encountered before as board book editions are, in my experience to date, usually complete just smaller.

When I contacted the publisher about my frustration they tried to justify their actions by saying "We find that our board books are usually enjoyed most by babies and the very youngest of children (who are perhaps not ready to move onto normal hardbacks or paperbacks) as their durability makes them ideal for this age-group. Often children at this age prefer a slightly shorter story, and we wanted this board book edition of 'Who's in the Loo?' to be appropriate for very small children, as well as children who are slightly older." Which doesn't explain why they hide the fact that it's abridged. It's deceptive in my view.

Rather than stating that it is a shortened version, they instead suggested that had I noticed the number of pages was fewer that I could have worked this out myself. This seemed absurd to me. It hadn't and wouldn't cross my mind to consider that an alternate print edition might be different in its content. I suspect others wouldn't either.

If you haven't experienced the full version of this fun story, then you may get on just fine with this. I felt duped. If you can, get the version with the CD of the story read by Stephen Mangan with sound effects. Brilliant.
on 8 November 2010
This book is a must for anybody with a sense of humour. My 3 year old son absolutely loves it and I have to admit it makes me chuckle everytime I read it, which is quite alot. We borrowed it from our local library initially but after just a couple of days I bought it, knowing it would be a firm family favourite. I did make the mistake though of buying the hardback book thinking it would be more durable for a 3 year old, but when it came I realised it is a shortened version of the original and not quite as good.
I have since gone on to buy several copies for birthday presents and replaced the hardback copy with the paperback version.
on 20 November 2012
This books is just the sort of irreverent fun that children love... lines like "Is it an elephant doing a poo?" will have them rolling around in tears, I know my wife and I were when we discovered the book. bought this for a friends little boy's first birthday and apparently it's already a firm favourite... We now have a "goto" present when we have a kids birthday to attend & I can't wait to read it to my children in the not too distant future :)
on 10 March 2013
This is my all time favourite story, I have loved it since my nursery teachers used to read it to me when I was little. I still love to read it on my own now. It always makes me laugh!

The story starts when a boy called Harry is at the adventure park and the queue for the loo is really really long. He joins the queue with his friend and they are desperate to go to the toilet and curious to find out who is in the loo. They spend a long time guessing but I don't want to spoilt the characters for you so I won't tell you too much !

My favourite character is the rhino who's bottom got stuck in the loo! It is so funny and the pictures in the book have been illustrated fabulously by Adrian Reynolds. The rhyming words by the author Jeanne Willis are hysterical to read.

My favourite part of the book is when the elephant is having a big poo! It is probably thhe funniest part of a book ever!

The ending is quite funny and there is a little twist to the story but the key message is ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS.

I would recommend this book for a junior or infant school reader who likes funny stories and jokes !
on 6 December 2010
We bought the board book version of this as our little one (7months) loves to grab at pages, we're so glad we did as we never tire of reading this to him.
It's funny, the pictures are excellent and the rhymes easy to remember.
We enjoy reading it to him and I'm sure that's passed on to his enjoyment.
If we could give it 6 stars we would.
on 24 August 2009
My 3yr old daughter loved this book so much when she got it out of our local library we just had to buy it.

It is very bright & colourful & has some very funny pictures that had her laughing. The story itself is more like a ryhming book which has 2 children trying to think who might be in the loo while they are waiting desperatly to get in. They have a long list of different animals which they go through all doing something different, including 'a pig who is washing his pants' and a 'rhino would had a hot curry'.

It's a must read for any little one as it keeps them amused all the way through (though it's not a long book) so be prepared to have to read it more than once!
on 7 February 2015
I work in a charity shop and saw this book when I was working but unfortunately it was very well worn. It made me giggle when I read it so bought a second hand copy from a used book site. When it arrived it was as good as new and my 18 month old grandson thinks it is very funny although I am sure he doesn't yet understand the humour!!! The illustrations are good and he can now find the various animals. Well worth the 1p. plus the £2.80 postage.