5.0 out of 5 stars "One of most powerful books I have ever read."
Published on 24 July 2002 by Belinda Sparks

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is all about bullying in and out of school.
Published on 17 Jan 2000 by Mr. P. G. Mcglinchey

5.0 out of 5 stars "One of most powerful books I have ever read.", 24 July 2002
Belinda Sparks (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hangman (Paperback)
This is a very direct powerful story about ordinary school children from middle class families who go too far. It shows the maliciousness of the 'clever' bully, the powerlessness of his victim and the pivotal role of the bystander. It's about a Year 7 group of pupils and climaxes on a school trip to the D-day landing beaches in Normandy. I have used successfully,with several year groups from Year 5 to Year 9. As they identify with all three main characters in turn - readers get a powerful insight into the nature of bullying - and they are gripped by the narrative which builds up to nail-biting climax.
One Year 9 pupil wrote:
"This book was such a good book. It must have to be one of the most powerful books I have ever read and it has made a real impact on how I think and feel about bullying."

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction tells a truth., 8 July 2008
Book Worm (Northants. uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hangman (Paperback)
Julia Jarman was a frequent "Visiting Author" at both of the schools of which I was Head. She knew how to ask big questions which made us all think. Her novel "Hangman" considers some of the biggest. Most of us at some time in our lives, have ignored, sniggered about, or excluded another person on purpose. What makes us do that? Why should labelling someone "different" make us think it's ok to bully them? Is it ever possible to be a truly innocent bystander? Or do we all share the guilt when bad things happen? Do people really have to die before we realize that in bullying others we betray not just them but ourselves and those we love too?
"Hangman" puts such questions into a powerful , exciting and ultimately optimistic story which thinking students will find hard to put down. I think every school and library on the planet should have a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hangman, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hangman (Paperback)
In an exciting, fast-moving tale of a school trip to France a young boy with Asperger Syndrome experiences bullying at the hands of his class-mates as the class investigates the events of World War 2; disaster is narrowly averted but uncomfortable and seemingly eternal truths about human nature are sensitively dealt with in this thought provoking children's book. It has much to offer to our efforts to promote a society which can accept and warm to 'difference' of whatever origin and teachers wishing to promote peer awareness of children on the autism spectrum as well as those wishing to probe some of the issues around 'bullying' will benefit also from the accompanying schemes of work for Year 7 pupils.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinarily powerful book, 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Hangman (Paperback)
The reviews already here give a very good overview of this book.
Julia Jarman makes powerful and thought provoking links between bullying and war that everyone of all ages should consider. A character towards the end of the book tells us to fight fascism wherever we find it - even within ourselves.
A redemptive act of kindness described in the final sentence is particularly poignant and leaves the reader thoughtful but optimistic.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is all about bullying in and out of school., 17 Jan 2000
Mr. P. G. Mcglinchey (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hangman (Paperback)
I think that Julia Jarman's new book "Hangman" is a very good book.I am the first person from Lambwath Primary School to read it. I enjoyed the part where Toby's schoool Lindley High goes on a school trip to France and when they are in France, Danny, Toby's friend gets lost.There is some swearing in the book but I don't mind because it makes it quite realistic.The bit that I like best is when Toby just leaves Danny and goes off with Nick Tate, the bully. When I first saw the book in the library I thought I've never heard of it before and I got it because it was written by one of my favourite authors, Julia Jarman.The bit I don't like is when some of the characters speak in french.Toby is a really good character and so are several others.The book tells the reader not to bully because bullying makes the victim feel that they are not welcome.Leanne Beale Aged 10 and a bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Hangman' by Julia Jarman, 20 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Hangman (Cascades) (Hardcover)
'Hangman' is a bleak story which believably shows the depths of depression and depravity teenagers can sink to. A quote from Mercedes Lackey comes to mind - 'He was being tortured. That's what we'd call it in an adult and I see no reason to call it by a lesser name in children.' This is my view from working with children subject to bullying, and it is certainly the view portrayed by Jarman through this book.
Old before his years, Danny is a sensitive, shy boy, with a flair for languages the other boys deplore. With a passion for life and learning rather than football and farting, Danny is an easy target for the prepubescent pack, boys too ready to follow the crowd rather than stand alone and be an individual. Abused an alone, Danny is mentally tormented day after day, given false hope that he might be finally accepted. The gang's worst trick could prove to be their last, as the situation takes a turn for the worse, heading down a path that could lead to an end to Danny's pain - for ever.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 1 April 2013
Foz (Lichfield, Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hangman (Paperback)
I wanted to use this as an English writing project, however the poor standard of English throughout the book has disappointed me. There are also many uses of foul slang words which are inappropriate even for my 13 year olds. The story is simple and capturing and we found that once hooked (about the middle of the book) it was difficult not to find out what happens to Danny.

Hangman
Hangman by Julia Jarman (Paperback - 7 Feb 2008)
5.99