5.0 out of 5 stars another fabulous book in the Roman Mysteries series.
These books have been a revelation to my 10 year old son, whose favourite subject is History. When he started reading them he became hooked immediately, even though he hadn't been keen to start reading the first one, as he didn't like the description of them, especially the fact that there was a heroine rather then a hero! He had been a reluctant though competent reader...
Published on 18 April 2009 by busybee

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating spiritual turn
Published on 21 Oct 2009 by Missa Marmalstein

4.0 out of 5 stars is it religious?, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Prophet from Ephesus: Roman Mystery 16 (THE ROMAN MYSTERIES) (Paperback)
my teenage knights were fascinated, and so were mum and dad, by the whole set of books, which we have collected in fits and starts.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW what an other interesting and amazing book, 13 Jan 2013
A must for all Roman mystery fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I liked this book more then the any other Roman mystery book . This book takes loads of twists and turns and how Lupus,Nubia, Aristo and Jonathan become Christian it Is a must read

4.0 out of 5 stars St. John and the slave trade *CONTAINS SPOILERS*, 18 Oct 2011
As usual the research is astounding, putting many adult historical novelists to shame (Conn Iggudlen comes to mind). The description and accuracy to detail is faultless, the twists and turns of the plot are exciting to keep the reader interested and wondering what will happen next. What I like about Caroline Lawrence is that her books are practical, she doesn't conform to the clichés of a happy ending or shying away from such issues as sex. All of this goes to make the Roman Mysteries a unique and interesting and accurate children's novel set in ancient Rome and a must read for all people of all ages. However the reason this book didn't get the full 5 stars is the principle characters (save for Flavia thank god, no pun intended conversion to Christianity. Now Lupus I can understand living with Jonathan and learning to control his anger and forgive his uncle for what he did, how that can lead to Christianity and I do find his conversion authentic albeit with the feeling of light, god's love etc it could be portrayed more realistically, he felt calm, relaxed etc. Nubia too with some thought yes I can see, she likes animals and Romano-Greco Polytheism demanded animal sacrifice though should this make her a vegetarian too? But she likes goat and camel stew but anyway that aside I can see why Nubia would find Christianity perhaps appealing. What I cant understand however is Aristo's conversation; a classical Greek scholar well versed in Homer and a frequent visitor to the temple of Aphrodite? His conversion was rushed in "I've spent 3 days with this fisherman and i'm now converted and all my lifelong teachings and beliefs have gone out of the window." Now maybe in the bible this would happen but Caroline Lawrence has hitherto treated her audience with the intelligent respect they deserve and for this I greatly admired her but I found this book to be very preachy, it seemed to convey the idea that all good characters were Christians and that the faith could turn the most evil person good. Now while this can happen and is a fundamental part of the Christian faith in what has been a rather balanced series of books religious wise to date it deviates from her normal accuracy in portraying characters and situations that feel real. The only consolation is that Flavia, at least, remains Polythenic and can at least give us the "pagans" view on events which was the majority view and belief at that time. I liked how in "The Beggar from Voulbilis" her attachment to Isis was shown in a dream that could be taken as a vision or just a dream, if the Christian conversions had been treated in a similar way in this novel than I think it would have worked much more effectively and feel more authentic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 25 Feb 2009
S. R. H. James (London, UK) - See all my reviews
It's getting exciting now, isn't it? The (alas) penultimate book of this fabulous series, so well researched as always. We have travelled the length and breadth of the Roman Empire enjoying the thrilling adventures of Flavia, Jonathan, Nubia and Lupus. What's more, we have learned so much about the mores of those times, not always comfortable but full of honesty and integrity. This one deals with the tricky subject of child abduction, touched upon in a previous volume. And an ending awaits. Read it and collect the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roman Book, 5 Sep 2010
A Kid's Review
Great book it is not very different to the other books but it is a bit strange at the end though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roman mysteries, 15 Mar 2010
ali (Biggar scotland) - See all my reviews
My 11 year old got the first 15 of these for christmas- and read them all in a few days- she has really enjoyed them and wanted to get the others as well.
She gave this one 4 stars !

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating spiritual turn, 21 Oct 2009
I have been a big fan of this series, and have ordered all of the books to both read myself and pass onto my students. This book shares many of the fantastic things I have loved about the other ones in the series, such as great descriptions of the settings and a good mystery to solve. But this one actually angered me when it came to the issue of early Christianity. While I have always found Jonathan's grappling with the "Way" thoughtful and probably realistic in it's depiction of Jews who were the first believers in Christianity, in this book three main characters just seem to magically become Christian. As this book is targeted towards intelligent young people who are most likely dealing with their own spiritual beliefs, it seems simplistic and misleading. I felt like throwing the book across the room when I finished it, and almost didn't lend it to a student who is the series biggest fan. She read it and liked it for the romantic entanglements, but I was sorely disappointed.

The Prophet from Ephesus: Roman Mystery 16 (THE ROMAN MYSTERIES)
The Prophet from Ephesus: Roman Mystery 16 (THE ROMAN MYSTERIES) by Caroline Lawrence (Paperback - 6 Aug 2009)