5.0 out of 5 stars Thrillinggg, 20 April 2007
Yusra "Yusra" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Set in the heart of the courtrooms of Rome's port of Ostia, this is an enhancing book that will keep any reader hooked till the end. A unique plot with an amazing storyline, this is by far one of the most thrilling books I have ever read. With surprising twists and new faces, this is one of a kind book.

Mariam's childhood friend, Hephzibah, is stuck in a situation where only someone who knows Roman law inside out can save her. But when Pliny, her original lawyer drops her case, who will take on a case of a slave girl with a troubled past? Especially when she is accused of three murders? Piece by piece, the evidence comes into light... but is she really innocent? or is she just another greedy slavegirl who would do anything to inherit her master's wealth?

5.0 out of 5 stars Now comparing to Ngaio March, 13 May 2007
Richard Campbell "RichSC" (Alexandria, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I had just finished reading one of Ngaio Marsh's later mysteries when I picked up "Slave Girl from Jerusalem". The plot and characterizations beg comparison, I think are more intriguing and in the end more satisfying. What I have found to be essential to all Ms. Lawrence's stories are a very frank and matter of fact look at the world that surrounds the characters and how they relate to it, rather more like Grimm's fairy tales or Beatrix Potter (where "Mr. Rabbit was put in a stew").

The entire series appeals to me as an adult, but I recommend it to all levels of school age kids as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great series, 27 Jun 2014
lynda scott (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 13 The Slave-girl from Jerusalem (The Roman Mysteries) (Paperback)
My grandaughter Isabella has adored these stories,and has learned quite a lot from them. I am about to buy her a Latin dictionary as she is interested in learning the language of her new friends! My A level in Latin from some 50 years ago will have to suffice in our little lessons!
Great book, great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this series, 20 Nov 2013
D. Fellows - See all my reviews
My daughter loves this series of books and has not been disappointed with any of them. She re-reads every one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 11 Nov 2013
My daughter adored this series and knows more than me about the Romans and all other ancient civilizations now. A real good read for a child. Amusing her, she read it many times over.

5.0 out of 5 stars The slave girl from Jerusalem, 30 Sep 2013
A fun book, cool and mysterious. All four children hear of a murdering and decide to investigate. Looking in all places, someone is after Nubia and for one of the popular character, (not Jonathan, Lupus, Flavia or Nubia) a tragic death awaits... I hope you enjoy the book as much as me, it was truly awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 18 Mar 2013
I started reading this book and I thought this was the worst book yet. But I was wrong it's the best I have ever read in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good historical novel for children, 23 Oct 2012
This is a great series of books. My son who is 9 loves the mystery element and read all 17 books in a few weeks. My daughter is 13 and while she is probably a bit old for the story lines claims them as 'background reading' whilst studying Latin. I at 40 find the plots a bit predictable after a while but enjoyed reading the books regardless. There is much to be gleaned of the Roman way of life and some useful vocabulary picked up. The BBC have serialised these and the dvd is now on the christmas list!

In this book the children help one of Mirian's childhood friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crime Room Drama from Ancient Rome, 30 Mar 2007
Straight from the intricusies of ancient Roman culture comes the new childrens novel by Caroline Lawrence.

It follows the four friends as they attempt to prove the innocence of one of Miriam#s childhood friends.

The new element of a trial has been added to enhance the drama of ancient times, not only adding to our knowledge of customs and traditions but also enriching the storyline and characters.

As usual, new faces appear and old friends return, yet the plot is as original as ever.

I found this book very hard to put down, every time you think the mystery is drawing to a lose, a new piece of evidence comes to light. The book is woven with murder, betrayal and love, which makes it immpossble to stop.

13 The Slave-girl from Jerusalem (The Roman Mysteries)
13 The Slave-girl from Jerusalem (The Roman Mysteries) by Caroline Lawrence (Paperback - 2 Aug 2007)