on 23 August 2004
I just can't believe how amazing this book is. I am a huge fan of Cliff McNish and have read The Doomspell trilogy and The Silver Child. I have just finished reading Silver City. It was fantastic! In The Silver Child, Cliff McNish creates and developes some fantastic characters. When I began reading Silver City, it was like being reunited with old friends. The characters grew and learned more about their special gifts in this book. Cliff McNish is in no way afraid of being daring. There are shocking parts to this book. There isn't always an easy way out of danger for the characters in this book. They have to work hard and Cliff McNish gets their feelings of worry, excitement etc. across so clearly it becomes believable (even though it is fantasy). This book is not your average magic book with wizards, witches and spells. It is wonderfully different and unique. I eagerly await the next book in this sequence. Keep writing Cliff McNish!!!!!!!!!!!
on 28 August 2004
Silver city is the second book in Cliff McNish's Silver Sequence. It picks up where it left of in Silver Child and is very fast paced. The boy Thomas goes out to seek the strange Unearthers - Children with drills for hands. Their leader, Tanni and his drill-partner Parminder are helped by thomas to change their hands with his beauty. Meanwhile, back at the shack, the twins set out into the ocean to find the protector as the roar draws ever nearer to Earth. Jenny, who is Milo, The silver child's sister has a strange gift where she build dolls and predicts the future. Shes an interesting character and has a HUGE job to do at the end of the book. Helen, too, has quite a big part in the book and is frightened by the unearthers because she can't read their minds.
One of the things i liked most about this book is that alot of the mystery in The Silver Child is revealed and you learn alot more about the roar. In some bits it is quite scary and in others the power of emotion coming out of the book is incredible. It's a rich fantasy novel and if you don't read it then you will miss out a great deal! it is THE best book i've ever read.
on 28 March 2005
Unfortunately I finished this book within a day the plot is excellent and keeps the reader engaged but it's just not long enough. The characters amaze me and the setting of Cold Harbor is described very well, this is the second book in the trilogy and I enjoyed reading it a lot. Mc Nish has completely altered the story type from his past trilogy the doomspell but it still works very well!
on 2 November 2004
First of all, 'The Silver City' is an excellent book, a fantastic sequel. It carries a certain feel that is similar to all of Mcnish's work (The Doomspell Trilogy); realistic yet magical which I am sure other fans with recognise.
In the book, you find out a lot more about 'The Roar', and there is a ray of hope from beneath the ocean depths. The main characters are repeatedly pressed and challenged from different places, testing their resolve and trust. The Silver Child is finding and learning tactics to fight against The Roar. If it sounds heart racing, it is!
There is an array of new charactes, ranging from the mutating 'Unearthers' to the small, innocent Jenny, but there are still all of the original young heroes such as Milo the Silver Boy, the strange Twins Freda and Emily and lovable Walter.
It is a book that I am sure fans of both magical books and Cliff Mcnish will enjoy, all though it is important to read the first book (stated below).
This book is the second in the Silver Sequence, the first one being 'The Silver Boy'. There is more information about current and recent books on:
[...]
Overall, this book is a brilliant read for teenagers and younger years. I would recommend it to all. I have my personal copies of both books and look forward to rereading them many times.
on 21 December 2008
What an amazing book! McNish makes this bizzarely surreal fantasy seem common-place, ordinary and totally believable. I half fell in love with the brave, immeasurably selfless characters while, at the same time, feeling discomforted by their strangeness, in particular their terrifying transformations. Similarly, the setting is fantastic and repugnant in equal measures.

I don't understand why McNish hasn't won more recognition. He is an author of extraordinary talents. I hope to read more of his work soon.
on 4 February 2012
I remember reading the silver sequence collection when I was 10. I loved it so much I thought there couldn't be a book out there that's better - even the Harry Potter collection.
I'm hoping to buy the collection soon so that I can read them all over again (I can't wait).
I think Cliff Mcnish deserves A LOT more popularity and attention. He could be as famous as J.K. Rowling
on 1 July 2013
I couldn't believe that this is actually rated as a book for children, I couldn't put it down. The whole series is terrific.