Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 November 2007
My son has read all these books. He cannot wait for the next one to come out. I have to preorder it as soon as I can. Reads them as soon as they arrive. Its great to see him away from the computer or playstation.
on 25 February 2008
I'm Alison's 11 year-old daughter-Carys.

After 3 hours of reading (I'm a bookworm!), I looked up and thought "Where am I?"
The book is just fabulous, captivating. Torak is 14 summers old-and bears the mark of the soul-eaters. He is marked an outcast by the clans. He needs to prove to Fin-Kedinn and the others that he is not a soul-eater and that he was marked one against his will; proving harder every day by the Soul-Sickness. Renn also has a dark secret-a haunting secret.
Torak's fight for justice will take him on a captivating journey with his friends Wolf, Renn and his kinsman from the Seal Clan-Bale.

This fantastic storyline will transport you back into the past to Torak's time, almost 6,000 years ago-seriously.

It's nice to get away from the computer or Nintendo Wii for a bit!

(I also like the way Wolf has his way of talking-The Up, The Bright Beast-That-Bites-Hot, The Thunderer, Tall-Tailless and especially the Bright-White-Eye and her many little cubs and the many little Wets!)

All in all, AMAZING!!!!!!!
on 31 August 2008
I disagree that this book would not appeal to over 16's.. im 26!!! i have followed toraks adventures from wolf brother to the lastest.. oath breaker, pre ordered for monday and i'll be ready to delve in to it's pages!
i find the story beautifully written and fully reasearched to create the ancient world we lived in before the advance of the technological era.
im a big fantasy fan but also love the natural magic that nature creates and if that applies to you too.. get the other books, wolf brother, spirit walker, soul eater, this one and the new, and get lost in this extroadinary and very real world of the clans of the ancient seas, mountains and forests!!
on 20 September 2007
im 13yo and i read this book in 2days..
its absolutley wonderful! amazingly written, fully captivating story line; a book that you cant put down, that all to often hear about, but all too rarely find. Definetly somthing worth reading. Very powerful, emotive series of books; as Torak encounters power, lonliness and betrayal and renn reveils a deep dark secret. outcast one of the best yet! cant wait for oathbreaker! well done michelle paver, reading the ancient darkness is the best reading expiriance ever!! :D
on 31 January 2008
Another brilliant read in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. This one had me gripped from page 1, and wouldn't let me go until I'd finished it!. Michelle Paver draws you back into the ancient world, first created in 'Wolf Brother', into a hunter-gatherer society of survival, and here we find Torak (now 14) struggling not only to find his way through the forest, but also to find his way through to adulthood as well.

Torak now has some difficult paths ahead. He already knows his destiny lies in destroying the power of the spirit-walkers, the fire opal, but as he now bears the horrible brand of the spirit-walkers on his chest, can he free himself from their control? A number of events conspire against Torak in this book to make his journey a particularly tough one. However, he has the ever-faithful Wolf by his side, and his friends Renn and Bale want to help too... if he'll let them.

The other books in the series are 'Wolf Brother', 'Spirit Walker', and 'Soul Eater'.
on 9 August 2009
I cannot say that I'm a big reader, in fact quite the opposite. But i love a good story when i hear one as much as the next person and on top of this I do some long journeys on a regular basis. These long journeys can be up to 7 hours but listening to an Audio book magically shortens that time and with the chronicles of Ancient Darkness, i arrive at my destination and have often sat there hanging on Ian Mckellen every word as i cannot bring myself to turn the radio off. Outcast is no different, well written and well read it's a story that'll make you want to go on those long journeys jut to give you an oppertunity to listen!
on 26 September 2008
I am well over half a century in age and have really enjoyed these books! Age does not play a part when something is written as well as these. Don't ever miss out on a treat because of 'age'!!!!
on 4 June 2010
Due to my car radio being broken i have recently started picking up audio books from charity shops- literally anything! I am an amazon seller and have sold michelle paver books before but never really looked at them.

I picked up a copy of Soul Eaters a few months back, knowing it was fiction (bleugh) and a childrens book, it went straight to the bottom of my pile.

When i finally got round to listening to it, i realised quite quickly i had saved the best until last!

I enjoyed soul eaters so much i kept going and sitting in my car to listen to it!Ian Mckellan really brought the story to life. I am glad that i had an audio book first as i think it made the names etc a bit clearer. I dont think i would have enjoyed the book as much.

Anyway, after listening to soul eaters i couldnt believe my luck but found outcast in poundland and read the lot in one night.

It was superb, as stated in the title of the review, i have not enjoyed fiction for a very long time and this is the first childrens book i have read since middle school.

It is written beautifully and i would recommend it to children and adults alike.

I am now starting to read oath breaker....... thus i must depart! I fear i shall become engrossed again and be up all night!
on 7 May 2010
Paver continues to tell an excellent story. My son (aged 12) got hooked after reading the first book, Wolf Brother and then we call got hooked in the course of reading Spirit Walker together. We could hardly bear to put the book down. Goodness knows what we'll do when we reach the end of the series! Can't recommend this and the other books in the series highly enough.
on 13 July 2008
I read "Wolf Brother", the first in Michelle Paver's wonderful series when it came out some years ago, and have been following Torak on his adventures ever since. I have to say these books are fabulous - total escapism on the one hand, but you also learn so much from Ms Paver's meticulous research into the period and its likely peoples. With her superbly descriptive writing you are drawn into this scary, but wonderfully beautiful world immediately and really connect with the characters. As in the Harry Potter books, you are with the main characters from the age of 12 or thereabouts, and read about them as they grow up. Each book shows them facing fantastic external dangers as well as internal challenges as they approach adulthood. I agree with the other reviewer on the lower age limit, and it is probably fair to say that 9 -14 is the general target age. I totally disagree, however, that these books will not appeal to the over 15's. It is possible that very young children (and vegetarians of all ages!) might be a little upset by the details of animals being hunted then devoured, but from 8 years up I suspect they will just love the gory descriptions! Some teenagers going through an "uber-cool" period might turn their noses up, but I'm sure they'll be in the minority. If your 16 year old likes literature generally, then I'm sure they'll like these. People of any age with an interest in anthropology or ancient world myths will love them too. I'm in my 40's and I adore them! I was really upset when I finished Outcast (always a good sign!) and I can't wait for the next two books in the series - roll on Book 5! Michelle Paver deserves real recognition for this super series.