5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first?
Published on 16 July 2006 by Whimsical Witch

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book- poor distributor
Great books. My son did not manage to save enough pocket money to buy his sister the new book for her birthday, but was happy to get her a second hand one. This would have been great if it had been in the condition the seller stated. It was not and was tatty and disappointing. That said, the kids would not send it back as they wanted to read it too much.
Published 9 months ago by K. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first?, 16 July 2006
This review is from: Spirit Walker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Bk. 2 (Hardcover)
It is quite posssible that this is better than the first book. They story takes on a deeper, more mature, and scarier road. This time Torak is alone, wolf has left him to be with another wolf pack. Sickness rages over the tribes and there are scary demon children running around causing fear in everyone. Torak knows he is the only one who can do the long journey to the Seal Islands to get the cure, and to save his adopted tribe from succumbing into sickness.

But can he do it alone? Without wolf?

Paver describes Toraks world with such detail that you swear you can smell the dmapness of the forest, and rankness of the sick. The way she describes the sickness is disturbing and almost too much even for me. But that is what makes her a queen of words, adnd what makes these books so spellbinding!

I can hardly wait for the 3rd one :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A miracle of a book, 1 Aug 2006
Trixy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Spirit Walker continues the tale of Torak. He is still camping with the Raven Clan, but feels more of an outsider than ever. When the Clan and several others who dwell in the forest fall sick, Torak takes it upon himself to find the cure.

His quest leads to the Seal Islands, where he is followed, held for breaking the law, caught in tight situations (literally) and betrayed.

A miracle masterpiece from Michelle Paver. Spirit Walker will keep you enthralled until the last page. I can't wait for no. 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Step back in time and transport yourself to another world!, 1 Feb 2007
S. Barnes (UK) - See all my reviews
It's been a long time since I read book one (Wolf Brother) in the Chronicles of Darkness series, but it soon came flooding back when I started to read Spirit Walker.

Set in Stone Age Scandinavia, in book two Torak's journey continues, and the destiny we are given a glimpse of in Wolf Brother is more fully revealed.

At the opening of the book Torak's faithful companion, wolf, has left his side to live with a wolf pack in the mountains. Torak has been taken in by the Raven clan, living in the forest. However, when a strange and horrible sickness strikes suddenly into the heart of the clan, Torak know that it is he who must try to find some answers...

A wonderfully fast-paced and twisting plot. Expect the unexpected! I can't wait to read the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's getting better all the time!, 24 July 2007
R Prestwood "bob57825" (England) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Wolf Brother' (the 1st in the series 'Chronicles of Ancient Darkness'), although I was somewhat disappointed with the ending as I felt it just...stopped!
This 2nd book in the series, 'Sprit walker' is even better than the 1st. I love the way Michelle Paver writes through the eyes of Wolf at times and how you have to decipher what is meant in 'wolf-talk' by words such as the Up (the sky), Fast Wet (a river), Slow Wet (a lake) and Tall Tailless (Torak).
You become totally engulfed in the 'world' that Torak lives in & this book is fantastic escapism for those needing to forget the 'now'.
I'm about to begin the 3rd book ('Soul Eaters') when I can hurry my son to finish it and I can't wait. Stoll on part 4 in Sept 2007!
I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK ENOUGH...BUY IT...READ IT...LOVE IT! (oh and then buy the next one...and the next one...and the next one - clever little Rowling-inspired Paver!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Spirit Walker: Could Paver pull it off again?, 16 Oct 2005
By A Customer
Wolf Brother, by Michelle Paver was recommended to me by a close friend. She lent it to me, and I was immediately thrilled and enticed my Paver's descriptions. When the sequel came out, I was so excited I couldn't wait for it to come out in paperback, and bought it there and then. But the question was:
Could Paver pull it all off again? Could she keep the same personalities in characters we had loved to see in the first book? Could she invent new ones that were likeable heroes, and hateful villans?
The answer was yes. Spirit Walker is a truely excellent book. I have to say I prefered the forest in which Wolf Brother was set to the watery Spirit Walker, but I enjoyed it all the same.
Wolf, Renn, and Torak are all back with a vengance. The Bear is gone, but Torak knows the danger isn't over. He knows his father was from Wolf Clan, but could it be time to visit his mother's old clan...the clan of the Seals?
Spirit Walker is a thoroughly entertaining read. Fans will not be disappointed. If you enjoyed Wolf Brother, you'll enjoy the sequel. It is full of surprising twists and laughable moments. If you haven't even read Wolf Brother, you definately should!
And now we must wait for the third, and last Chronicle of Ancient Darkness. It is very tempting to read the book quickly, but you should try and make it last because Soul Eater won't be out for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit Walker, 13 Jan 2006
I waited until Christmas to read this sequel and wasn't disappointed at all, finished it in two days (which is diappointing as I now have to wait for the next one). I loved Jean Auel's Earths Children series and there are similarities to this but that doesn't detract from Michelle Pavers own style and story. Great follow up to Wolf Brother and worth reading and recommending to anyone - maybe even my son (who I bought the original book for) will read them soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Paver finds her own voice!, 6 Nov 2005
After reading Paver's debut novel I felt I needed to read this sequel. I did enjoy "Wolf Brother" but was slightly annoyed by, what was blatent to me, it being very much the children's, simplified version of Jean Auel's Earth Children series. However on reading "Spirit Walker" all my annoyance was overcome. This novel has found a niche of its own and to be honest I don't think I have ever been so quickly thrown in, and captured by a novel.
Torak is a wonderful main character that you genuinely, as the reader, care so much about. You desperately want things to work out for him. Paver is begining to show a glimps of genius in laying down hinters at what is to come. I won't explain the story and ruin it, but will recommend this book highly. This is a must read for any children and adult alike. Beautiful in its pre-historic setting and enthralling in its powerful story.
Well done Mrs. Paver!

5.0 out of 5 stars This series gets better and better, 13 Dec 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
SPIRIT WALKER is the second book in the "Chronicles of ancient Darkness" series. WOLF BROTHER, the first in the series, was a great beginning to a whole new world but SPIRIT WALKER draws you further in, leaving you wanting more.

The story still follows Torak, a young boy who is able to talk to wolves. At the beginning of this book, Torak is on his own - his father died at the beginning of the first book, and even his friend, Wolf, has left him to join a pack on the Mountain. Torak still misses Wolf, and his father, but he has a clan of his own, so his solitude is not complete. But Torak's world is under threat - there is a strange sickness sweeping the forest.
No one knows what is causing the sickness but the effects are horrific. A cure must be found before too many of the different clans are affected. Torak's world is yet again to become one of danger and betrayal - for a time he has felt that is is different to those in his clan, but he has never known why. His father hinted to him that there was more to his nature than Torak was aware of, but he never explained more.
Soon it becomes apparent that Torak is the one who must go and try to find the cure that is so desperately needed. His journey shall take him to the Seal Islands, where his bone kin dwell. But how shall he earn the trust and respect from this different clan? And what secrets shall he learn of his own life along the way?

That is a basic plot - I do not want to give too much away. What I love about SPIRIT WALKER, like with WOLF BROTHER, the world of Torak is portrayed so brilliantly that you completely get sucked into the story and Torak's life. The beliefs that they have in relation to the body and the spirit, and how this relates to and interacts with nature and their clan creatures, is beautifully written. Although there is no magic, in the style of Harry Potter say, there is definitely a kind of magic going on in Paver's words. Her characters are brilliantly created - Torak is a hero you care about; even Wolf feels well thought out and constructed.
This series is a great addition to any one who loves children's literature, young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous sequel, 7 April 2006
By A Customer
Once again Michelle Paver has written an utterly compelling novel and once again Ian McKellen breathes the life into it. I have three little boys ranging from 6 to 11 who sat spellbound throughout the readings of both books, and my husband and I have found the stories equally enjoyable. I particularly love the way that wolf sees life, his names for everyday objects and the descriptions of how he sees life seem so believable. Although this books begins to reveal more about what is so special about Toraq, there is still so much to uncover and we can't wait for the next one (The Soul Eater) to come out later on this year. The CD also includes an interesting interview with Michelle Paver at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirit Walker, 29 Aug 2006
Gren (The forest) - See all my reviews
A great sickness is Stalking the Forest and Fear is everywhere.Torak must find a cure before its too late. His journey Takes him to the Sea and across it to the mysterious Seal island which are home to the seal clan and it is here he will find the truth, a truth that is never expected.

The second book in the series is as good as the first if not better. I cant Wait for the third book Soul eater to come out!!!

ARRAY(0xaf383f30)

Spirit Walker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Bk. 2
Spirit Walker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Bk. 2 by Michelle Paver (Hardcover - 7 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01