5.0 out of 5 stars This book is absolutely fantastic !
I am a 12 year old boy who absolutely hated reading. One day my mum asked me to just try reading this book (wolf Brother)like all mums tend to do with books. I read 224 pages in around 4 days! Just to make it clear, I would normally read that amount in any other book in about 2 months!

I highly rate this book for anyone from 10 and upwards.
Published on 28 Jun 2006 by BFH

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
This is a really good book to read but at the start it is a little bit hard to understand
Published 6 months ago by Hylton Harvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Brother, 29 Aug 2006
Gren (The forest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolf Brother: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Book 1 (Hardcover)
Wolf Brother is the first in the six part series the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness .Wolf Brother is set just after the first ice age.The story starts when Toraks Father is killed by a demon possesed bear and Its Toraks destiny to go to the Mountain of the world spirit to destroy the bear. It is on this journey Torak finds the orphaned wolf cub. Together they must find the mountain or die trying......

I absolutely love this book its the best book series i've ever read. Once you've read Wolf Brother Then the next book in the series Spirit Walker is next and is as good if not better than Wolf Brother (I also have written a review on Spirit Walker)

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it magic?, 16 May 2007
Very interesting read which will appeal to all ages. Unusually set in the era of early man, with a subtle hint of magic thrown in. Had me hooked from the first chapter & have since read the rest in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Brother, 27 Nov 2006
I scarcely come across a good book as I am very fussy about what book I read but about 2 weeks ago my mum told me about a book that my cousin was reading. She had been telling me for ages to read the book by the name of Wolf Brother and after weeks of my mum telling me about this book I decided to read it. When I first saw it I thought it would not be worth reading and was a waste of time but I was so wrong. This book took me about 3 hours to complete and within a week I had got the sequal out of the libary and read them both at the weekend. Anyway Wolf Brother is great any age and at the moment I am reading it to my nine year old sister who loves it!

Wolf Brother is about a boy named torak who lives around 6,000 years ago in North-Western Europe which in that time was completely covered in forest. The book itself is well researched fast-paced and thrilling and I am so glad i started reading t as i have read all the books over and over countless times.

Wolf Brother is about a boy who is twelve years old and is about how he is left alone orphaned in the forest when his farther dies as the result of a possessed bear and how he finds his companion wolf who at times is just a normal wolf cub with a love of ligonberrys but at other times the mysterious guide who must help torak complete the quest untill it is too late.

I conclude that this book is a must for anyone aged eight plus as my nine year old sister loves it and I can't wait to show it too the rest of my family. This book is a thrilling page turner and I would reccomend this book to anyone.

((Written by a KS3 girl))

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Jun 2007
A book for all ages. Wolf brother is fantastically written and edited, making it smooth and easy to follow. The way Michelle keeps the plot moving at a fast but detailed pace is genius. In a way this book reminds me of the jungle book. i don't know why. It just does.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 3 Sep 2004
Wolf Brother is the first book of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, and it is a stunningly vivid portrayal of a world six thousand years ago, a world of darkness and fear, ruled only by arcane magicks and the fickle ways of elemental spirits. Twelve-year old Torak is alone, wounded, and being hunted by the demon that slaughtered his father. He has no allies amongst the other Clans of the Forest; his only friend is Wolf, the small cub he rescued in the wake of the demon's rampages. There is no kind, benevolent Mother Nature to act as his protector in these times; only one with the skills and wits of a hunter can survive, as a great demon walks the earth in these dark days.
Wolf Brother tells the tale of Torak's quest, as it turns from a simple struggle to keep himself and Wolf alive, into a desperate battle to awaken the ancient World Spirit. For only the World Spirit can save the Forest - and possibly the whole world - from one of the most powerful demons imaginable. I am a great fan of Tolkien's works; and I found Wolf Brother capable of portraying the most epic struggles as well as the most personal thoughts and feelings of each character. I think that this masterpiece is one comparable to Tolkien's classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of a fantastic series, 12 Feb 2009
Wolf brother is quite simply, a brilliant start to a series that has captured my imagination since I first started reading the series a few years ago. Michelle Paver's ability to describe the world where Torak lives, his trials, friendships and adventures is remarkable. The plot makes the story a real page turner (I won't give anything away here) and the climax is gripping. I've enjoyed this book so much that I've recommended it to most of my nieces and nephews around the age of 10 to 12 and all of them have really enjoyed it.

Wolf's personality will appeal to kids who love animals while Renn's stubborness and dedication to her friends will appeal to girls with a strong sense of individuality. Torak will appeal to boys with a real sense of adventure and all three are characters grow throughout the novel into more mature and responsible young people that kids can look up to.

Adults will enjoy the book for the escapism of the story and anyone with an interest in ancient history or ancient civilisations (picts, celts, native americans etc) will really enjoy the detail around how the characters live their daily lives, the mage craft (religious belief in the book)and the way traditons in this fictional work are created and embedded in the story.

Its great fun, very original and a welcome break from the dominance of other series' such as the harry potter franchise.

Start with this book and work through the rest of the series as quickly as you can as the latest part of the story will be arriving later this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars An AMAZING series..., 2 Sep 2007
This is an amazing book, the start of a series witch has led to 'Spirit Walker' and 'Soul Eater' , and will lead to 'Outcast' , 'Oathbreaker' and one as yet indefinate (to the public) book.

These are spellbinding yet slightly scary, action packed, moving tales that take you back to Torak's world...A world of darkness.

Don't miss out! This is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 23 April 2005
Liz (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
Wolf Brother, the first book in The Chronicles Of Ancient Darkness is amazing. Set in the Bronze Age it follows a young boy called Torak on his painfull journey alone, well, not totally! This story is creative, detailed, exciting, imaginative and truely gripping, I couldn't put it down! This book would be perfect for all ages (teenagers +), it was actually my mum who recommended it! If anyone's read Clan of the Cave Bear it's supposed to be a little like that but less complex so young adults can read it! This well researched book gets a 5 star rating from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, a great read!, 12 Nov 2005
I didn't really think that much of this book when I first picked it up, but as soon as I finished the first chapter I loved it.
The book is beautifully written, each chapter flowing smoothly into the next, producing powerful images with the detailed description and a very appealing sense of spirituality. The huge amount of research and effort put into the book has paid off excellently, taking you to the point where you want to get up and go back into Torak's world, and to travel with him and the adorable Wolf on their journey to the Mountain of the World Spirit.
The characters are well-described and easy to support, love or hate as necessary. Some people, me for example, may be moved to the point of tears at the end of the book. I love the obviously deep bond between Wolf and Torak as Pack-Brothers, and the parts of the story told from Wolf's point of view are unforgettable.
Overall, I think this is a brilliant book with great description, an accurate description of the time period and a good plotline. I strongly recommend it for people of all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars mesmerising reading of a great new children's author, 5 Nov 2004
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
From the moment the hero, Torak, wakes and finds his dying father waiting for the death-blow from the demon bear that hunts them through the Bronze Age woods, this book makes your hair stand on end. That's without the magical voice of Gandalf, sorry, Ian McKellen, who makes Paver's spare, vivid prose sound like Shakespeare. How Torak finds an orphaned wolf-cub and teams up with him, each relying on the other's senses, how Torak discovers his father was one of seven mages who turned against evil, and how he is befriended by the fierce Renn from another clan is utterly compelling. Together, all three must journey to the Mountain of the World SPirit to ask for its help in destroying the giant bear - which will otherwise destroy the whole forest, with its tree spirits, aurochs, birds and deer. Paver has pulled off the miracle of getting you right inside what it must have felt like to be vividly alive in that time. Every detail about their clothing, hunting equipment, religious beliefs etc rings true. My family listened to this in awed silence, and when it was over my husband read the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Wolf Brother: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Book 1
Wolf Brother: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Book 1 by Michelle Paver (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01