5.0 out of 5 stars How Many Miles to Bethlehem
Published on 13 Dec. 2004 by jennyhr

1.0 out of 5 stars How many miles to Bethlehem?
I ordered this because as a family we didn't own a children's book of the Nativity story and I also work in school with children aged 5-7. I was very disappointed as this was recommended in a bookclub for age 4 and above. I found the text very odd for children of this age group (or anyone
actually). and the language used in some cases unsuitable and way over young...
Published on 18 Nov. 2004 by Karon

5.0 out of 5 stars How Many Miles to Bethlehem, 13 Dec. 2004
I could not agree less with Karon of Lancs. This is a marvellous book , both in its words and in its pictures.Both my four-year-old daughter (to whom I read a great deal, we own at least half a dozen Nativity Story books) and I delight in the book. I will be presenting a copy of the book to the Primary School where I teach Year Six (10-11 year old) children.I know that pupils of all ages will enjoy it. Kevin Crossley-Holland's telling of the story is both imaginative and instructive. His use of language will open children's ears to the beauty of richly figurative prose. Thanks to the vivid narratives the reader feels physically and emotionally present at the scene. Even without the wonderful text the book would be a rare gem. Peter Malone's illustrations are gorgeous. They have an immediate impact with their luscious colours and elegant design, and, on further examination, are full of witty and erudite detail. They manage to be both entirely fresh and original, and at the same time, full of reference to the long tradition of paintings of the Nativity It is a shame we do not see much, much more of Peter Malone's work - he has a great talent.
This book is the perfect solution to much of my Christmas present buying : all my god-children will be receiving copies, and quite a few other children (and one or two literary and artistic adults) as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful re-telling of a familiar story, 30 Nov. 2007
A. Vaughan "book lover" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Many Miles to Bethlehem? (Paperback)
This is the best re-telling of the Christmas story that we have found and I would wholeheartedly recommend it for the style in which it is written and for the illustrations. It is told simply, with a refreshing lack of sentimentality and in beautiful language. I think it's a shame that somebody gave it such a low rating below - it really doesn't deserve it. It certainly doesn't talk down to its audience, but if you want to read something to your children (ours are four) that possesses real poetry and that they can keep returning to in years to come, then this fits the bill.

1.0 out of 5 stars How many miles to Bethlehem?, 18 Nov. 2004
Karon (Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
actually). and the language used in some cases unsuitable and way over young children's heads.
On the opeing page "I am Mary. Tight as a drum" I showed it to my colleagues and we all agreed. The only plus point was that it looked like a lovely book, until you open it. "Never judge a book by it's cover". The illustrations had been highly praised and some I did quite like, but not enough to ever use this book. If I'd picked it up in Waterstone's I would have put it straight back down!

4.0 out of 5 stars How many miles to Bethlehem, 12 Dec. 2010
This review is from: How Many Miles to Bethlehem? (Paperback)
A very good story book, I used part of it as a sketch for our nativity as it gives characters just a few lines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, poetic, almost lullaby-like story of nativity., 7 Feb. 2009
A. Maclean "Amy Maclean" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
My children love this Nativity, with its poetic prose, the perfect bed-time story leading up to Christmas.

How Many Miles to Bethlehem?
How Many Miles to Bethlehem? by Kevin Crossley-Holland (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01