5.0 out of 5 stars Torak's farewell
Published on 23 Aug 2009 by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars A little predictable
First of all, I have been devoted to this series for a while now after my friends introduced me to the weird and wonderful world of Torak and Wolf (and Renn not to forget). I have been eagerly awaiting the return of Torak and co for nearly a year now and purchased this book first chance I got. However, I found this one a little predictable. The plot of the story is...
Published on 29 Sep 2009 by Mrs J

5.0 out of 5 stars Torak's farewell, 23 Aug 2009
Bookworm (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Michelle Paver brings the "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness" series to a dramatic conclusion with this final story. Your emotions will be taken on a roller-coaster - heartbreak, fear, relief, happiness, .... I was moved to tears of sadness and joy. I'm exhausted! This is an exciting episode in Torak's rites of passage, as he faces his final challenge - to free his world once and for all of the dreaded Soul Eaters.

There is a theme of loss running through this book (loss of innocence, security, loved ones, hope) so if your children are very young, or quite emotional, they might get upset, particularly in the first half of the story. To balance this, however, Michelle Paver brings to the story a great sense of inclusion and cameraderie, and a hopeful reassurance that friends can sometimes be found in unlikely places.

As usual, the detail and visual imagery she creates is fabulous and it is so real, you can almost smell the world she describes - like the scent of the cold, night air on someone who comes in from outside in the winter.

I am going to miss Torak, Renn, and the rest, but I will miss Wolf, with his simple touching language and fierce loyalty the most. Thankyou Miss Paver, and I am looking forward to reading your next books with my children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive. Addictive. A Complete Triumph!, 18 Aug 2009
The final instalment of this spectacular series immediately lets you know that this will be the darkest book of all. A cloud of evil has settled over the forest, oppressing its inhabitants and feeding off their fear. Eostra of the Eagle Owl Clan is wearing the Clans down with the nightmares she sends, the plagues of moths and the Tokoroths - demon children - who do her bidding. Torak can no longer sit by and watch others suffer; he has a destiny to fulfil - as The Listener - and whether she means draw him out or not he can no longer sit and wait while she toys with the people he cares for. Torak set off alone, not wishing to endanger Renn - whom he feels more for than he admits - and Wolf - who now has a mate and young cubs who rely on him.

This entire series has been a triumph. Each book is filled with such beautiful detail that shows how passionate about this subject Michelle Paver is. Her research has been extensive and shows through with her detailed knowledge of each animal, its habits, habitats and reactions; each environment, the dangers, the differing living styles and what it takes to survive in each extreme; finally the system of beliefs and traditions which govern the Clans. In `Wolf Brother' Torak, having never lived among a Clan is ignorant of many of these things, so as he learns each new environment or belief, so too does the reader. Torak imparts his greatest skills of Tracking (understanding how each animal will react & how to read the signs of their passing throughout the forest) to the reader by making you feel as if you are right within the story.

All 6 of the books contain the wild intense beauty of nature.

The final book feels like it brings us full circle, back to the mountains again, for Torak to face his greatest fear and to see whether he can master it to save the Forest, the Deep Forest, the Mountains & the Sea from the true Eater of Souls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concluding book in series that does not disappoint, 5 Aug 2010
This review is from: 06 Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness) (Paperback)
This is the sixth book in the series and the one that ties the lose strands together. Michelle Paver's ability to draw the reader in with wonderful descriptions where you seem to smell and taste the ancient landscape is amazing. I was first hooked in by Wolf Brother and have not been let down by any of the books, really getting to know and enjoy the main characters. If you like adventures with a bit of meat and sense of place then get stuck in!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful End To The Series., 13 Oct 2009
A Penn (York, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been an avid fan of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness and was eagerly looking forward to the last in the series. It did not dissapoint, with action and adventure in each turn, although a little obvious in some stages the twists more than made up for it. The ending was one that I had expected for a long time and yet leaves the over all feeling of one of such hope that it did not feel like a let down. You should Watch out for the return of an interesting character who was woven wonderfully into the plot. Having re-read the entire series just afterwards I would say that Ghost Hunter fits into the series perfectly and I would recomend to any fan. A satifying ending to the series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad to see the end, 4 Oct 2009
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The final novel arrives and one that I'm sad to see the final chapter turn. Its definitely been an epic journey and one that whilst becoming darker in the last couple of instalments has lead the protagonist and his friends on a journey not only of self discovery but also of adventure alongside peril. A great offering and one that will make this a series to recommend to many readers which I feel will become a bit of a classic. Great stuff and definitely a series that will remain with me for a long time as this has made Michelle into one of my favourite authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Read - Worth the Wait, 18 Sep 2009
J. Harsh "jbean" (Iowa, USA) - See all my reviews
In this final installment of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series, (also referred to as Wolf Brother series,) Michelle Paver has done a fabulous job of tying up loose ends while still keeping us guessing right up until the last few pages. My son and I have had a fabulous time reading this series and having our own "book club" discussions about them. (Unable to wait for the US releases, we always snap up the new releases through Amazon UK!) As the mother of a 12-year-old boy, it is wonderful to have a way to still connect with him even though his priorities are quickly turning toward friends, athletics, etc.! We are now beginning to re-read the series and are looking at some of the events that take place with a new perspective (now that we know how everything turns out in the end!) I would highly recommend Paver's series to any one of my friends...and have recommended it to many of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fast moving story, 3 May 2013
All of the chronicles of Ancient Darkness books have been riveting, suitable for adults and children. Exciting stories that kept me reading non-stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars these books are unique and inspiring full of memorys to tresure, 28 April 2013
im 13 and read this in 1 day. it creates an amazing world full of people so real you feel like there pain is yours .as i read this i wanted to be in the forest playng with the cubs and climbing rock faces. i am sad to say good bye to wolf torak and renn~i know them like i would friends~ but i have a feeling these books will be just as good next time i read them .

4.0 out of 5 stars Still exciting, 31 Oct 2012
This is the last in the Michelle Paver Chronicles and Ancient darkness series of six. I've enjoyed every one. They have transported me back in man's history to a time when we lived in harmony with the land, rivers, lakes, seas, forests and mountains. We have no way of knowing how accurate this account of life then would have been, but I imagine this is very close to reality. I know that the book is intended for younger readers, but this transported me back to a time when I made my first trips to the lending library. I found this genre exciting then and still do 60 years on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing end to a phenomenal series, 22 Dec 2009
One word springs to mind upon finishing GHOST HUNTER = Phenomenal.It truly is amazing. From the first line, I was hooked. It took me just a few hours to read the book. I was left utterly amazed. I felt that the book did everything it needed to do. It answered all the questions posed throughout the series, it had a dramatically satisfying ending. Twists and turns, and WHOA is Eostra evil!I recommend this book, and indeed the whole series to everyone. This is a series that will be read, loved and enjoyed for generations to come. A true work of craftmanship

06 Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness)
06 Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness) by Michelle Paver (Paperback - 1 April 2010)