5.0 out of 5 stars Another great installment!
Published on 2 Sept. 2008 by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Habit breaker
I've not really been in to reading for a long time now, but I still push myself to pick up a book as I feel guilty for not being in the habit. I've been reading Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series since 2005, and they've had their ups and downs. I didn't even bother reviewing the last entry, and the name escapes me at the moment, but Oath Breaker, while...
Published on 19 Jun. 2010 by Inspector Gadget

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great installment!, 2 Sept. 2008
Bookworm (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Another unmissable episode in the story of Torak and his "pack"! I agree with the other reviewer that the stories are getting darker with each book, as Torak goes through his adolescent rites of passage, and much sadder too, in line with the overall series name - "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness". I can imagine my youngest son, who is 9 and yet to read "Oathbreaker"(ha! ha! I got first dibs!!), becoming quite upset, as the plot for this story not only introduces us to new characters, but says goodbye to someone very important to Torak. Michelle Paver also reveals more of Torak's history and that of his parents, with some heartbreaking revelations. It is exciting and full of tension as Torak faces yet another threat to his and his friends security, and reluctantly acknowledges his destiny. He is also growing up, and has to learn to control all the raging emotions within him. Renn too is maturing and Torak feels a frisson of attraction between them as their bonds of friendship deepen. I can't wait for the final installment, although I will freely admit that I will be very sad to say goodbye to these characters. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars I waited a year for this, and I wasn't disappointed..., 6 Oct. 2008
When I first read Wolf Brother, I thought WOW, this is seriously good. I've collected and read all the books since, and I'm over halfway through Oathbreaker. And it's brilliant.

I'll try not to give out too many spoilers, but this is one of the darkest installments so far, with Torak desperate for revenge after one of his closest friends is murdered by the Soul-Eaters. There's no hanging around in the story, already there's a huge amount of action before you've even finished the second chapter. The Deep Forest is also beautifully described in great detail, plus the character's emotions have become far more complex and it's easier to feel strong sympathy or hate towards them.

If you liked the first four, you'll definitely love this one. It has to be the must-have book of 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 24 Sept. 2009
This review is from: 05 Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness) (Paperback)
Yes, the basic plot is similar to the other stories - Torak gets in trouble & Renn helps him, they track another Soul Hunter. But the "filling" is what I enjoy - so five stars definitely. This is a very unusual genre for children's books and I don't think anyone has used this "ancient man" theme since "Stigg of the Dump". And the anthropological study of ancient human culture is excellent. Also, Torak and Renn are excellent survivors, living off of natures resources. Fans of "Ray Meers" might enjoy this also. I like the style of writing, as the narration switches between wolf and his human counterparts. I like the way that wolf says "there is no 'wolf word' " for the feeling that Torak has, - as Torak wants 'revenge', emphasising the difference between man and wolf. A good book for sophisticated readers of the 9-12 age group. For adults like me who also enjoy these stories, they might like to read some of the academic source books about shamanism by Mircea Eliade Rites and Symbols of Initiation: The Mysteries of Birth and Rebirth, Myth of the Eternal Return: Cosmos and History (Works of Mircea Eliade).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Feb. 2013
I have loved this series of books since I first opened Wolf Brother in 2004. Michelle Paver's beautiful writing creates an ancient world that instantly draws you in and makes you believe in it so much you can almost feel the breeze and hear the Forest leaves rustling around you.

I love her detail. She has obviously done a lot of research and truly immersed herself in the world of post-ice age Europe and this reflects in every single line of the book. You can tell she has spent days at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust watching how the wolves move and act around each other, you can tell she's visited Polish forests untouched by human hands and all of that adds up to make these some of the best young teen novels I have ever read in terms of world building and realism.

Her characters are brilliant also. Surprisingly easy to relate to despite living lives so different from our own, just a few pages in it feels `normal' to leave a scrap of food in a tree fork as a `thank you' to the Forest for providing or making sure your bow is carefully oiled and always ready to use. Torak is strong-willed and one of my favourite characters in any book, partly because of his close relationship to Wolf and partly because he is so very human in his doubts, passion and fears.

The story is fast paced and exciting, keeping you turning the pages long after you should have switched off the light and gone to sleep or stopped reading to do your homework.

There is nothing I can come up with to dislike. Which means Michelle must be doing something very right indeed.

All I can say, is I can't wait to read Ghost Hunter - the final instalment of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oath Breaker :no broken promises here!, 1 May 2009
Mrs. J. McKerrow "brownowljess" (Dumfries & Galloway , Scotland) - See all my reviews
Oath Breaker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness book 5
I was delighted to get this book, I've got all the others and was desperate to find out how Torak, Renn and Wolf were getting on. Michelle's work does not disappoint, I couldn't put it down, it tugged at the heartstrings too. You find out a little more about the background story too which is very interesting.I now have to curb my impatience for Book 6 due in the Autumn!
Great service from Amazon, keep up the good work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, Books 1 to 6, 25 Aug. 2009
GCLima (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
This Michelle Paver series are an absolute marvel. You want to rush with the plot to the end but you are loath to miss any detail! The writing is of a very high quality, not the ordinary mush of the Dan Brown's standard. The research of the ancient tribal cultures brings real life to a picture of a world only previously glimpsed by archeologists and antropologists, and then turns it into both agent and background of an adventure where fully developed characters and a magic plot are woven. I am 63 years old and my son is already 30, and we not only read and enjoyed them all but are also keeping the whole collection for the future children we are hoping he might have someday! Ghost Hunter: Bk. 6 (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness)Oath Breaker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness book 5Outcast: (Chronicles Of Ancient Darkness book 4)Soul Eater: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness book 3Spirit Walker: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Book 2[[ASIN:1842551310 Wolf Brother: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness Book 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better!, 26 July 2009
Toni Wickens (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
Bought these books to read with the children and we all love them! This is the best book of the series so far! We all cried, laughed and loved the ending. Excellent all the way through and can't wait to read the last book. We love Wolf and Torak's relationship and i'm sure we have learned to communicate with our dog better as the description of their interactions are so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 1 May 2009
The penultimate book in the series is fraught with danger and adventure as we continue with Torak's destiny together with Renn and Wolf. I could not put the book down until I finished it; Paver's words transport you back to Torak's time and grip you until the end. A beautifully written book which would be impossible to not read!

4.0 out of 5 stars much to enjoy, 26 Mar. 2009
Simon A. Wright "simonandsuewright" (manchester;england) - See all my reviews
Another good book from Ms Paver and I thought the storyline stronger than the last couple.The detail again felt authentic,and even though you knew torak would have to play another get out of gaol card it still maintained the suspense to the end.Not long to go now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 4 Oct. 2009
Oath Breaker is a excellant continuation of the Chronicles of Darkness series. This story, along with the others in the series are perfect for both young and old readers and the plot keeps you on the edge of your seat as you follow Torak, Renn and Wolf through their adventures in a dangerous yet beautiful ancient world.

Oath Breaker shows all three main characters begining to take on greater responsibilities as they get older and leave the safety of childhood behind them as they begin the hunt for the remaining Soul Eaters.

All three face challenges that put thier friendship, individual beliefs and courage to the test in this continuation of the series.

I would highly recommend the Chronicles of Darkness series.

05 Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness)
05 Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness) by Michelle Paver (Paperback - 4 Jun. 2009)