Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Soul Eater: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness book 3 (Reissue)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 25 October 2006
In Soul Eater, the 3rd book in the Chronicles of Ancient darkness, Torak is faced with a new challenge as Renn,his companion wolf and himself set out to the desolate far north to find the soul-eaters, a group of powerful mages who plan to rule the forest using souls, and demons. I enjoyed reading this - you were always on the edge on what would happen next. We also get to know another Clan of the far north - the white fox clan. Torak feels - not for the first time in his life - what it's like to lose someone or something very special to him, as the Soul-eaters capture wolf for a desperate sacrifice. The ending is a brilliant cliffhanger for the next book - Outcast!
on 1 September 2006
SOUL EATER is by far the best book in the series and some aspects of the book set you up for Bk 4, OUTCAST (published 2007).

It starts with an amazing kidnap of nine animals that have a significance and then leades on to threaten the future of the Forest and the rest of the world.

Yet again, Torak must foil the plans of the Soul-Eaters and save a friend in need.

We meet the Ice Clans of the Far North and we finally get a glance of ALL of the living Soul-Eaters. Believe me, they're great!

The title of the book becomes clear later on and there is a twist involving Torak! Enough said.

I attended the UK Launch on 30th August 2006 and Michelle said, that at the end of this book, you should be able to guess why the next book is titled OUTCAST and that she recently finished writting a part of OUTCAST where Torak and the readers meet the Wolf Clan for the first time. She said it isn't what Torak expects.

All in all, I say bring on OUTCAST!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I gulped it up in less than two days. It is still extremely well written, exciting and just drop-dead-brilliant. I love it to pieces!

Wolf and Torak has just been re-united since their parting in Wolf Brother, and their terror in Spirit Walker. But danger is lurking behind every bush, and Wolf is taken captive by the evil Soul Eaters and dragged off to the icy north. Where mother nature rules with a harsh and unforgiving hand. Can they save Wolf? And what mayheme are the soul eaters up to this time? Is Torak grown enough to fight them, as is his destiny?

Another thrilling adventure. I cant wait for Outcast to arrive..... I wish it was here already!
on 11 April 2006
I would like to compliment Michelle Paver for her fantastic books. Just as the papers say 'it is a book you long to read, yet rarely find.' I find the storytelling amazing and truly compulsive I just can't wait for the next one to come out and maybe many more. The only problem that I have had with these books, is because they are so good, I want to savour them, so that the book never ends, but I just can't put the book down!
I finished the second one in less that a day and I was full of emotions. About the story and the fact that I've already read it. I know I'll read these books over and over again, and give them to my children.
I think I love these books so much because I have often dreamt of a much simpler world where global warming is not a problem and people live happy and simple lives. Yet these books, make it so much more than that. I also love animals a lot especially dogs and wolf reminds me of my dog. I also find it unbelievable that you can merge in this old life and bring demons and magecraft etc. so well. It is truly astounding!
Last but definately not least, I find the books so well written and everything is so good;
the description
the direct speech
the story itself
the way it is told through wolf;
the great wet, the Up, Tall Tailless, The Bright Beast that bites hot.
the way it is so realistic

And i simply love the style of pictures and the front cover, the map is brilliant; it lets you see what is really happening.
Please don't stop writing I just want them to go on forever!!!
With lots of love and compliments about your books.
Thank-you so much for writing them.
Alison - 13 - Scotland
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
SOUL EATER is the third book in Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. And it is a series which just seems to get better and better. With each new book the characters become more developed; even the character of Wolf, and to say that about a character which is not even a person shows how good Paver's writing is.
This installment takes place during the winter. When Wolf is captured by an un-known enemy, Torak and Renn have to brave the Far North in order to try and rescue him. But in order to do so, Torak has to become closer to his enemies than he would ever have imagined. And even if he succeeds in rescuing Wolf, the consequences of his actions may stay with him in ways he doesn't fully understand or want...
That is a very brief synopsis as I do not want to give too much away and so spoil it for others. What I would add, however, is that SOUL EATER cleverly goes on to develop the idea that there is not a definite line between good and bad people. Torak learns that there is evil - or the potential for evil - in all living things. And in a world which is led by membership to a clan, he also learns that his future and destiny may be harder to bear than he first imagined. These elements, along with how Paver brings Torak's time to life, go together to making her series such a success. To see the world from a completely different perspective, in which people and animals are connected, along with the spirit world, is a much needed breath of fresh air. Although there are elements of magic in her books, it is not the sort of magic created by magcians, witches and wizards brandishing wands - this is magic of a very different kind.

I would thoroughly recommend this series to children and to adults alike.
on 30 December 2009
I absolutly LOVE this book and the entire series. I think Michelle Paver has written them perfectly and in a very effectie way, creating the relationships between Renn and Torak, and Torak and Wolf faultlessly. I thought the new side of Torak that was revealed when he lost Wolf at the beginning of the sory was a good move and is made Torak more "3D". Michelle has managed to get the dynamics of the stories and characters just right and has also clearly done her research about life in Torak's time very thoroughly.

I find the vivid descriptions of how they kill their food, cook their food, dig snow caves, make clothes, track people/animals through the forest and generally live life extremly fascinating!!
But I have to say my guilty pleasure throught out these books is the rare "Wolf Chapters", I love his cute, innocent outlook of the world and how he makes up names for things he doesnt know the proper name of.

All in all, fabulous books that I would recomend to anyone. :D
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Soul Eater is the third book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. Wolf aka pack-brother has been kidnapped and Torak and Renn set out to find him. As they begin their journey to find wolf, Torak takes a `spirit journey', in the form of a raven, and discovers that the Soul Eaters have captured Wolf. They follow Wolf's kidnappers to the Far North - without giving spoilers they find that there is a whole lot more going on than they could have imagined. The narrative is just as enthralling as the first two books in the series; the reader gets a real feel for the kingship between the main characters. The framework, which the author sets, of the cold wastelands of the north only goes on to reinforce the dark nature of the tale that is being told. For me the series just seems to go from strength to strength. What is great about this book is the cross-generational appeal it has.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've said it before and I'll say it again the Harry Potter similarities are all good.

There are more of those evil soul eaters out there to deal with;

much in the same way as Harry still has Horcruxes to find, poor Torak cannot rest until he has sorted out the remaining soul eaters.

The series should be six or seven books surely and I for one cannot wait to get stuck into the next instalment "OUTCAST".

But it will have to wait until after the Deathly Hallows since Outcast is apparently due out 6th Sept in paperback??? (What, no hardback first?)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I enjoyed Wolf Brother but hated Spirit Walker and I was weary that this entry in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series was going to be just as meandering and slow. Fortunately it's not and it's just as good as the first book.

Wolf is kidnapped by the evil Soul Eaters so Torak and Renn must chase after them into The Far North to rescue him. Their chase brings them to the Eye of the Viper, a cave deep, deep in a mountain where the Soul Eaters have made their lair and intend to sacrifice 9 hunters to unleash demon hoardes under their control upon the world.

The mythology is getting a tad out of hand though. I don't know whether these forest people simply don't understand science and physics and mistake everything for fate, miracles and magic or if it's just their ancient point of view trying to make sense of it. That complaint aside, it's a good book that you'll not want to put down until you've finished it. It's way more fast moving than Spirit Walker and brings the COAD series back on track.
on 5 March 2010
Bought the book for my eldest son (11) after we'd read Wolf Brother and Spirit Walker together. He'd thoroughly enjoyed them and I got really hooked half way though Spirit Walker as well. My younger son (9) also started listening in and got similarly hooked. Soul Eater was very exciting and we raced through it, both my sons were begging me to carry on reading most evenings! Having finished it, we couldn't wait to get stuck into the next one, Outcast. It's an excellent series and I think as deserving of attention as Harry Potter, if not more so. It really motivated my older son to start reading seriously for himself as well, so sometimes he'll read chunks himself, and then I'll go back and re-read aloud so we all keep up with the story. The author should be congratulated, it's a superb series and I don't know what we'll do when we get to the end!