on 17 May 2013
What an exquisite book!
I was enchanted when I found out that a book about Rory McEwen was going to be published and I am delighted with the result.
When I first saw Rory McEwen's work- a small painting of a Ginkgo leaf- he instantly became an influence on my work and an everlasting inspiration. I always imagined this little leaf had held together long enough for Rory McEwen to finish the painting and then it had fallen to the floor and shattered like glass at his feet. Rory McEwen was not copying nature and he wasn't enhancing it either. He was just translating it for us, showing its beauty in a simple, pure form.
This book has captured the spirit of Rory McEwen's work beautifully and put together this collection with the same passion that animated the artist.
on 26 July 2013
Bought this after visiting exhibition of his work at Kew. The art work is amazing and wonderfully reproduced. The story of his life was so interesting. I had known of his musical talent but had no idea he was associated with so many musical legends. A book I will treasure.
on 2 June 2013
The first 50 pages contain an overivew of Rory McEwen's life with photos, and three or four examples of his collages, but the rest of the book is dedicated to his botanical work. It is a beautiful book for anyone interested in botanical art, whether you like to simply look at it, or like me, like to draw and paint botanical subjects yourself. Well worth the money!
on 10 October 2013
This book gives a good overview of Rory McEwen's life and work, but the real treats are the many reproductions of his hyper-realistic paintings of botanical subjects. I like the inclusion of enlarged details alongside the prints. There is also a section of illustrations of works by other botanical artists who have been inspired by McEwen's work. This will be a source of inspiration for botanical artists.
on 5 April 2014
This is a beautiful book with wonderful colour plates. It is truly inspirational if you are an aspiring botanical artist. His composition and use of space creates stunning studies. I love the dying leaves!
on 9 June 2013
Would have given a 10 star rating first class in every way. Don't think about buying this book just buy it you will not be disappointed
on 20 June 2013
This book is lovely. It has informed me about the man and the artist. His daughters who are responsible for its publication should be very proud not just of their talented and amazing father, but of themselves for this book. It is such an honour to be able to share such information about Rory McEwen, as well as see so many examples of his work, how I wish I could have met him. His work is all consuming as you study it, and feels like a direct link to the man himself, almost like he is looking back at you. I am learning so much as well as enjoying so much. I will be going to see the exhibition of his work currently on show at Kew. Thank you so much.
on 11 June 2013
A book full of beautiful images and well reproduced. The biography is a delight to read and discover the other talents of Rory McEwen. Incredible value .
on 31 December 2015
This book is full of the most beautiful Botanical Studies ever. Portrayed as they were produced, ie a tiny rose bud in the corner of a large otherwise blank page. To my mind they have an almost magical quality,the precision and accuracy required for this genre of artwork is most certainly there, along with an extra ingredient I can't define. The story of how he lived, how he painted and his music career all combine to give an insight of this multi talented man. From beginning to end the book encompasses some of Rory McEwens life and work gloriously.
on 19 June 2013
I bought the book mainly for the colour reproductions of McEwens botanical paintings - I was not disappointed. Also an interesting read.