5.0 out of 5 stars literary clowning on high wires
I think of Michael Innes's as having something in common with the authors of '1066 and all that' in that the more one knows of history the funnier it becomes - in the case of Innes, read literature for history.

Published on 13 Sep 2010 by barrie hesketh

3.0 out of 5 stars From London Far
A Professor whilst at his local tobacconists finds a literary quotation spoken aloud plunges him into a secret world of art theft and criminals.

Please note despite the Amazon title, this is not part of the Inspector Appleby series.

Published on 3 May 2012 by Rich

5.0 out of 5 stars literary clowning on high wires, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: From London Far (Inspector Appleby Mystery S.) (Paperback)

Innes is the pen name of J.I.M. Stewart, professor of English. He wrote with affection about young people, I like to think he must have been good with his students. He gives women succesful parts to play in his quirky high adventures. I find it a help to have a dictionary to hand - I suggest Chambers, for the author was a Scot and a bit of a tease with the words and constructions he used. Now that I am in my 80s I find I like re reading old books, but not many of these offer literary highjinks, so that when I rquire a touch of comedy after a session with say, Ford Madox Ford and Henry James, I turn to Innes. I read that I am not the only one who has laughed out loud at 'From London Far'.

3.0 out of 5 stars From London Far, 3 May 2012
This review is from: From London Far (Inspector Appleby Mystery S.) (Paperback)

A not un-enjoyable book with an appealing hero, this is reminiscent of a 1950's Cinemascope extravaganza with an International cast, as it leaps from London, to Scotland and then America. Not to be taken terribly seriously, there is a fair amount of humour. The two old women living in the Scottish castle are entertaining. Some of the humour I'm fairly sure went over my head. This loses points as it feels that Innes wrote this for those of his friends and colleagues who want to read a 'mystery' but wouldn't be seen dead picking up an Agatha Christie. You do feel this is one for those 'in the know' but a decent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarly romp, 21 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: From London Far (Inspector Appleby Mystery S.) (Paperback)
A delightfully fantastic adventure, full of humour and erudition. One of Michael Innes's very best.

From London Far (Inspector Appleby Mystery S.)
From London Far (Inspector Appleby Mystery S.) by Michael Innes (Paperback - 23 Sep 2008)
5.95