Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 July 2002
I read this book about 5 years ago but it's still sits quite well implanted in my memory. The author is at his best when he starts to dig into the motivations of each of the characters and he is evidently no fan of the media. The book is quite tragic in and the outcome seems pre-ordained from the beginning but it makes for a fascinating and gripping read to see how the wheels fall off.
Perhaps most striking of all when you finish the book is to look at the year it was written and then examine the history of some of the former colonies which received their independence in the past fifty years.
on 17 July 2015
Gives a first hand account of how Great Britain's empire was effectively downsized during the fifties
on 15 January 2016
The novel is good; this was a old copy.
on 11 September 2011
I chose this title for our book club here in Ontinyent,Valencia, Spain, as I remember Nocholas Monserratt as a great storyteller from my youth. So far It has proved popular with those eho havwe read it.