Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 January 2016
Easy to read, thrilling truth to read about. Mini articles on some pages add useful background about theologians and the like but can be easily skipped if you want to keep the flow.
on 27 April 2013
Bought three copies now, an excellent light and refreshing read on the Trinity and how it is a necessary concept to our faith and other nice things.
on 17 February 2013
Excellent refreshing reminder of the centrality of the Trinity as the revelation of our loving, self-giving God, the Father. Clear and readable.
on 22 January 2013
I think many Christians have an idea that the Trinity is such a difficult concept to get your head around, that it gets relegated to a theological tick box: Do I believe in the Trinity? Yes, of course. What difference does that belief make to my life and worship? Hmm.

Michael Reeves makes the case that belief in a Trinitarian God is not just something we have to assent to in order to be orthodox; it is an absolute necessity that grounds everything else. The God of the Bible is loving, kind, gracious, sharing, glorious and just precisely /because/ of his Trinitarian character.

Theological books can be duller than a dull day in Dulwich. But this one is lively and bright and moving and exciting - exactly how a book about the character of God should be! Let your mind be refresher and expanded as you understand God as he truly is.
on 17 August 2013
This is an excellent read. Through it, God has encouraged me enormously and I've learnt lots about Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Written in an easy and accessible style - great for personal and group study. Our Men's Reading Group are studying Connected by Sam Allberry and this is a recommended supplement, along with Vol 2 of The Daily Reading Bible (Matthias Press), which has great Bible passages about the Trinity. In fact, I've found The Good God easier than Connected, but let's see how we get along in our group first!
on 29 August 2013
This book is a real treasure, which I can't recommend highly enough. I heard Mike Reeves give some seminars recently on the subject of God the Trinity and was so inspired that I bought the book. As I read, I was not only stirred in my mind to understand the intrinsic nature of God as Father, Son and Spirit, but also stirred in my spirit to worship him and appreciate his beauty and his great love and grace. May you also be richly blessed through these pages.
on 29 September 2014
I'm not the type to purchase a book on the Trinity, but having been inspired by hearing Michael Reeves at a conference I thought I would give it a go. Easy to read, and very uplifting. It opened my eyes to see God anew as Father, and how different the Christian Trinitarian God is from all others. It also touched my heart that God " draws us to share his eternal love and fellowship".
on 21 June 2013
This book goes much beyond the standard, proof-texted and logical presentation of the Trinity. It is warm and inspiring and shows how the doctrine of the Trinity is more than something merely to be believed - it is the basis for our worship and enjoyment of God himself. Excellent book.
on 29 December 2013
Michael Reeves paints a quite beautiful picture of the triune God in this most uplifting of works on the Trinity. He writes with humour, and the book is deliberately not overbearingly long. A riveting read even for those who are not theological nerds or anoraks! The experience of digesting its truths compelled me to worship; rarely is God portrayed so attractively as Reeves presents him here as Father, Son and Spirit. Dry and academic this is most certainly not. This is the kind of God that we can warm to and get really excited about: the God who is radiating, outgoing and loving; whose glory is not about taking but giving. The Father is relational: eternally loving the Son through the Spirit. This God is generous and bountiful, and GOOD. This is the God that atheists don't seem to know anything about, and theologians often fail to present.

Reeves writes of one of the key ingredients to the beauty of the Trinity being how friendly and familial it all is. God the Father enjoys being himself: he enjoys his Son, he enjoys being a Father to him; all so much so that he chose to share his 'Fatherliness', and fellowship with those he would create - i.e. the human race! Loving familial relationship. The triune God's delight in family. Call me a heretic, but I couldn't help being reminded of Wm. Paul Young's novel, "The Shack". And this from an author who approvingly quotes Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Owen, and Jonathan Edwards!

Indeed, Michael Reeves ends the book by suggesting that if we fully absorbed how boundlessly the Father loves us through Jesus it would bring about reformation. I agree. He writes so compellingly of the beauty of the Trinity that it seems simply impossible for this relational God to send anyone to hell without continuing to pursue them in his love. This is a very winsome picture indeed. Yes, wrath is there, but it flows from his love. As Reeves writes:

"The wrath of God is proof that he truly cares. His love is livid, potent and committed - and therein lies our hope. Through his wrath he will destroy all devilry that we might enjoy him in a purified world, the home of righteousness."

There was no wrath in eternity past, but only mutual love and fellowship within the Trinity. Wrath is very much a temporal thing. God will be all in all; he will at the last fill the universe with the light of his wonderful glory. He is all light - but that is terrible for those who love the darkness. The question is whether human beings will continue to love the darkness and reject God's marvellous light for all eternity in God's good and restored universe. Is it too much to agree with Rob Bell that love will ultimately win?
on 25 May 2013
The good God demonstrated through a good book!

Easy to read and full of truth and revelation. Well worth a read and several 're-reads!