4.0 out of 5 stars Just had to finish it!!
I borrowed this book when I was on holiday and when I came home I had to know how it ended.
Published 22 months ago by ys

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating read
Published on 31 Dec. 2010 by Sisalka

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating read, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Leaving Clare (Paperback)
The book follows three main characters and attempts to develop the characters over the period of several months/years. But here lies the crux: for about 550 pages the characters only agonise more or less dramatically over their dilemmas. Unfortunately I didn't find their dilemmas credible as the characters remained strangely flat. Consequently, the sudden changes in the last few pages where everything simply gets resolved did not make sense either. Altogether a book that left me slightly cross at the end of it and lost my sympathy for the characters somewhere halfway.
The author has also chosen a time in the fifties that is surely interesting but she fails to make it really relevant for today (compare to the exiting characters you would find for instance in Maeve Binchy's depictions of the same era). Having characters ranting about behaviour that in today's world would be seen differently without making that really credible looks too much like a reference to sentimental 'good old days' and is annoying for a modern reader.
Conclusion: There are better books out there that are worth the time of reading 600 pages.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just had to finish it!!, 9 July 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read., 24 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Leaving Clare (Paperback)
This book was a surprise - it was the first book written by this author that I read and have ordered others. An excellent read.

Leaving Clare
Leaving Clare by Geraldine O'Neill (Paperback - 25 Mar. 2010)