5.0 out of 5 stars A Roller Coaster ride!
This is a fantastic book and I'm only sorry that this is the authors first and only because I think I'm going to be a big fan!
Published on 20 Jun 2003 by eileen365

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
This book was okay to read. I don't think I'd recommend it to family and friends though. It didn't grip me but I persevered until the end.
Published 6 months ago by Emma Haigh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Roller Coaster ride!, 20 Jun 2003
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
What a story! It's straightforward enough at first, the usual relationship tangles and just when you think you know where its going (I was open-mouthed at the part after Jenny visits the doctor, but I won't ruin it for you) the author sends you flying in another direction.
I absolutely loved the authors portrayal of Roan The Rat - one of the biggest bastards appearing in fiction in a long time, yet the author still manages to give him some redeeming features. Jenny's best friend Karen was a wonderful character - and the problems she has with her mother in law made me laugh out loud, yet I too could feel her frustrations with Nasty Nellie. As for Mike, Jenny's new love, what a sweetheart! I wanted to take him home with me. Fantastic cast of characters but all inherently different when it comes to dealing with their everyday problems.
In my opiniion, the workd unputdownable is overused when it comes to describing fiction, but in this case it is the ULTIMATE word to describe this book.

I needed to lie down after reading Something You should know (in one day) because I laughed, cried and was completely overcome with emotion. The tension doesn't stop until the very last page.
Highly recommended novel from first time Irish author Melissa Hill. Absolutely wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new twist in the chick-lit tale, 1 July 2003
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
I bought this after it was recommended to me through my bookclub. I was expecting a typical, frothy predictable chick-lit tale but boy was I wrong!
The book focuses around Jenny and how a nasty man from her past Roan Williams, could threaten her present relationship with the lovely Mike. So far so good, but nothing and i mean NOTHING is quite as it seems here. Melissa Hill's style of writing is totally orginial for a chick-lit author - something happens in every single chapter and the story moves forward at a cracking pace. It reminds me almost of a thriller/mystery type story because you are simply dying to know what happens next. Then, just when you think you've figured out where the story's going, Hill leads you off in another direction and blows the whole thing out of the water.
The twist, or should I say twists - this is like a rollercoaster ride - are quite brilliant, so much so I reread the book again straight afterwards just to shake my head in wonder at how cleverly the writer had set me up.
This book really does have everything - a cracking page-turning plot that made me stay up all night to finish it, a lot of laughs and....unbelieveably for a chick-lit book, a huge depth of heartrending emotion and a writing style that sends a shiver up your spine.
I'll certainly be on the eager look out for Melissa Hill's next novel. Brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best new author in a long, long time!, 17 Jun 2003
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
I can't recommend this book highly enough. I was gripped from the very first page right through to the end. I read a lot and it is a very long time since I've been so impressed by a new writer and I could do nothing else until I finished it - which by the way took me all of a day and a full night without sleep!

I had never heard of Melissa Hill but bought it at Dublin airport because of the eyecatching summery pink cover & the fact that one of the characters has the same name as me (sad I know!) as well as the fact that it is by Poolbeg, who normally do good books by Irish authors. But it was just fantastic! The story moves along at a cracking page and just as I thought I had worked out where the story was going, it flipped back on itself and gave me a huge surprise. This is miles better than your straightforward chick lit love story type thing. The story and brill characters will make you laugh out loud, cry buckets and simply gasp at the amazing twists and turns. I've even emailed the author to find out when her next book is due because I think I'm already a life-long fan of Melissa Hill.
Fantastic - the other established Irish authors like Sheila O'Flanagan Cahty Kelly & Marian Keyes should be feeling very nervous because this writer is going to be huge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut, 8 Jan 2008
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
I'm a fan of Melissa Hill's since I first read Never Say Never and apparently this was her very first book, which unfortunately seems unavailable in Germany. Like all her others I very much enjoyed it although I feel that she was just perfecting her technique in this one, and while I didn't spot the big twist, I did have an inkling about one or two smaller things. All in all a good read and recommended to anyone new to Melissa Hill's books or to those who are already fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 19 Aug 2003
Teresa (galway, ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this - it was a wonderful story and I read it in a day. Like other reveiewser, I laughed and cried at the story and loved all the twists. I read Cathy Kelly, Marian Keyes etc and I love IRish authors especially. This is better than anything I've read in a long time and I'm really looking forward to the authors next book. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant surprise, 8 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
I picked up Something You Should Know, intrigued by the title, but expecting your typical, frothy (and inevitably predictable but enjoyable!) chick-lit novel. I soon found out how first impressions and feminine pink covers can often be deceptive!
The story is based around the lives and loves of best friends Jenny and Karen and from the outset, it appears relatively straightforward. From the outset.
However, it soon becomes apparent that the author is having great fun making her readers think one thing while leading us in a totally different direction. Not only that but there is a real depth to Melissa Hill's writing, and once you pass the halfway point you realise that this a book you are unlikely to forget in a hurry. I have to admit that I shed a few tears towards the end and the story haunted me for a long time afterwards. The twists in this tale are well-constructed and suitably breath-taking, so much so that I had to go back to the beginning of the book to try to work out how she fooled me!
A wonderful novel from first-time author Melissa Hill, certainly one of the best Irish fiction writers to appear on the scene in a very long time. Irish staples like Cathy Kelly, Marian Keyes and Sheila O'Flanagan should be feeling quite worried, I think!
I can't wait for her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
Quite simply this is one of the best books I've ever read. I discovered Melissa Hill's books last summer & I've read nearly all of them now - this is one of the ones that really stands out as completely engrossing & believable - & like all of her books, it really makes you think. Would definately recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute page-turner!, 9 Feb 2010
loulou37 (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
This is the first book I have bought by Melissa Hill and it certainly won't be the last! Its a real page-turner and I couldn't put it down. Melissa Hill brings the characters to life and you could easily relate to them in many ways, especially Jenny. This book had me gripped from start to finish. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
This was a very,very good read, a story that really held you, lovely characters and a shocking (although quite sad) surprise at the end. I can't say much more for fear of giving the story away but for me, it was a bit of a 'sixth sense' moment.
I particularly enjoyed this one because I used to live in the same area of Dublin described in the book many, many years ago, and I could imagine the surroundings very easily. I finished it very quickly as although the storyline is your typical love angst tale, it is very absorbing and I ended up reading some of the book over the cooker while making the children's dinner.
I hadn't come across any books by this author before I was recommended this, but I hope to read more of her work in the future.
A really enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: Something You Should Know (Paperback)
I had never heard of this author but as the book was recommended here by Amazon and the author is Irish and Irish authors always write great books, I thought I'd try it out.I really enjoyed it as having recently come out of a similar relationship to the main character Jenny, I could completely identify with her and understand why she kept the blinkers on to his behaviour and continually blamed herself when anything went wrong between them.I loved the fortune teller side of it too as it just goes to show that a woman will clutch at straws and tell herself anything in order to explain away her man's unreasonable behaviour which I thought was very true to life.It was always very well done the way her best friend Karen could see what he was really like long before Jenny could.I could completely identify with this.
This was a very entertaining book which really keeps you involved with the characters and keeps you turning the pages and as far as I'm concerned thats all you want from a book.I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more of Melissa Hill's books. Not sure if the other one about the woman staying at home listed here on amazon is by her too?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Something You Should Know
Something You Should Know by Melissa Hill (Paperback - 1 Jun 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01