5.0 out of 5 stars It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry

Published on 17 Jun. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars samey dull city girl, 17 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
I thought this book looked promising, however it turned out to be confusing, predictible and utterly dull. Why change the names of some real life restaurants and not others? And how can you belive that the hero falls for Sorrel when he barely spends more than 2 minutes talking to her, most of which time she is drunk. Far better to read the exellent Pinapple Tart or the incomparable Bridget

3.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 19 May 2003
This review is from: Tulips, Chips and Mayonnaise (Paperback)
This book was really the most strange book. The main character Sorrel, must be the most accident prone person that i have ever
heard about.
The beginning is interesting but doesn't really describe what she looks like. I tried hard to see whether the author left any clues. Nothing apart from the fact that she think's she's fat - doesn't most women!
Her stalker was probably the most entertaining part. The story does all sound very unbelievable, but that might appeal to people! The ending was just like a romantic novel, which is lovely but not for everyone.
A brilliant book for females who love romance, but it could be a let down!

5.0 out of 5 stars It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry, 4 April 2001
By A Customer
I picked up this book because of the endearing little Westie on the cover, which I later learnt was Hector. This is a fantastic book from start to finish, a rollercoaster ride of all emotions, empathising with Sorrel and her classic 'one-liner' thoughts, feeling protective of her with her disastorous ex boyfriend and willing her on with the new love interest in her life.
A classic 'girlie' book and a must read.
By the time I finished the book I felt that I knew all of the characters and that they were my mates too.
Dawn Cairns brings us a very simiar writing style to Jane Green who brought us Straight Talking and Bookends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read that made me smile, laugh and cry, 23 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Tulips, Chips and Mayonnaise (Paperback)
From the minute I picked this book up I couldn't put it down - I laughed out loud, inwardly cringed with familiar recognition at the plights of Sorrell the central character and cried through her desperation.
The book is funny, heart warming and written to engage the reader immmediately into the life of the characters. The writer manages to depict the human weaknesses in us all without being patronising or predicatable.
I highly recommend too anyone who wants an enjoyable read - and who has had to phone a friend to piece together the previous evening - this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 30 Oct. 2004
Ciara (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Wow! I loved this book from start to finish and I could hardly put it down! To be honest i read it three times and it didn't even begin to bore me. It was beautiful! I felt I could connect with the main character, Sorrel. I felt all that she felt especially the falling in love with Jake bit! Also being from Belfast myself I knew the places the author talked about which also helped me feel part of the book. The only problem with this book was the amount of typos!
If you are looking for an easy read, lots of laughs and a touching ending READ THIS BOOK.

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read with a great twist, not your average romance, 26 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book at a service station on my way down south. The point being to help me relax. I thought it was great. I didn't get a wink of sleep on my trip and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. It is one of those books that reminds you that life isn't quite worth giving up on as you never know whats going to be round the next corner

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, funny and Capitivating, 14 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Tulips, Chips and Mayonnaise (Paperback)
This book was such a joy to read, very entertaining and funny with a very clever twist in the story line. Exquisitely written, captivating your imagination and allowing you to really understand and sympathise with the characters and the intersting situations they find themselves in! Looking forward to more work from this first time author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!, 17 April 2001
By A Customer
I could bearly put this book down, from page one, Sorrel and her adventures had my full attention.
There was abit of romance, abit of suspence and some truly hilarious moments !!!!
By the end, I felt like I knew all the characters personally.

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange mix..., 31 May 2001
By A Customer
I've just finished reading this book and I'm left a little confused. It was a great start - describing the feelings of a single 20/30 something perfectly, and with some originality - had some suspense in the middle which was fantastic but didn't really fit with the start, - and then finished like a tacky old Mills and Boons but far too Over-the-Top to be believable (how many times did she hurt her foot??). So I'm confused - I enjoyed all the different elements but they didn't fit in the same book!!! Still, it kept me reading, which is something because I usually get fed up with these girly books before the end. It reminded me in parts of 'Rachel's Holiday' / 'Lucy Sullivan' by Marian Keyes, but not so good I'm afraid...

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful editing!, 23 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
Thank goodness I'm not the only one who noticed all the mistakes. Typos are one thing but the incorrect useage of apostrophes really really annoyed me.
Also I didn't feel connected to the character at all. Did we even get a description of what she looked like (apart from thinking she was fat of course)?
The danger in writing books from the first person is that other characters often get underdeveloped. This is what happened with the hero. It would have been nice to at least had a scene of when they talked on the phone. I couldn't believe that he was in love with her.
It started off promising but then the plot became confusing and dragged a lot.
I finished the book but only because I wanted to see how many more typos I could find.
However I would be interested to read the author's second book to see if she has improved with experience and practice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tulips, Chips and Mayonnaise
Tulips, Chips and Mayonnaise by Dawn Cairns (Paperback - Mar. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01