5.0 out of 5 stars Compelled to fix and maintain your MTB? Buy this book!, 18 Sep 2004
By A Customer
I've tried them all. 1994, Mountain Bike Maintenance by Rob Van Der Plas. 1999, "Bicycling Magazine's" Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair by Jim Langley. 2001, Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn.
It wouldn't be appropriate to review those books here, but suffice to say that the first one was rather insufficient and ended up in the bin, as did the Zinn. Then in 2003, The Mountain Bike Book by Steve Worland & Complete Bike Book by Chris Sidwells were purchased. Getting better, but these are books about Bicycling and don't really go into proper maintenance to any useful level.
Finally, last week, Mountain Bike Maintenance: The Illustrated Manual by Mel Allwood came through my door. If you are a mechanical engineer, don't bother. If you are seasoned bike mechanic, don't bother. Although, I have encountered some very dire skills in bike shops in the last couple of years. If you are just the average garden variety bicycle rider, who likes to understand how it all works and occasionally do the slightly more advanced maintenance jobs and need good, concise instructions accompanied by good, clear images, this is the book for you.
Well done Mel Allwood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me a lot, 25 Jan 2006
This review is from: Mountain Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
I got this book for Christmas and I've used it a lot, not only has it helped me carry out some basic bits of maintenance of my bike, but it has also explained loads about the components of a bike and how they work.
As you would expect, it explains each of the main 'bits' of a bike and what kind of problems you are likely to encounter, and explains why and how to clean your bike (I used to just leave it caked in mud - and wonder why the gears stopped working)
It also gives you a kind of idiots guide to the types of tools you need to arm yourself with - both at home and what you need to carry around with you for emergency.
It's written in a down-to-earth fashion by someone who comes across as genuinely being interested in bikes - not too technical and totally honest when it comes to things you can try yourself and things you should probably ask for help on!
I feel so much more confident now about going into a bike shop and asking questions that don't make me look totally clueless. If I ever meet Mel, the author, in a pub I'd love to buy them a pint just to say thanks :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pictures & Easy Instructions, 7 Feb 2006
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a bike maintenance book written by someone who knows about bikes and has obviously used other maintenance books and become frustrated: because this book is brilliant and has saved me hundreds of pounds in bike shop fees.
You are taught everything from changing a set of brake blocks and tuning gears all the way up to wheel building and changing headsets. Everything is explained in thorough detail with reference to real tools and lubes and comes with step-by-step, full-colour photographs. I'm no bike nut (just a commuter) but have managed to replace a rear cassette, new chains and tune gears regularly - with this book they are all pretty easy (it even rates how tough the job is).
Do not buy any other bike maintenance book because this one rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch instructions for novices, 17 April 2006
Wistiliamos (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Well impressed, top notch instructions for novices like me on the maintenance front, just bought the kids and me some mountain bikes and they are definitely more complicated than in my day.

This has helped me understand how it works and gives me confidence in dealing with any issues I may come across.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 25 April 2005
MrShev "mrshev" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I managed to rebuild my transmission using this book, it rocks. Also, it has heavy duty paper...which is just as well as my book is covered in gunk.

Totally, totally recommend if you are a beginner and would like to learn how to maintain your bike. I must have saved around £100 in mechanic fees because I have learnt so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 14 Dec 2004
By A Customer
Clearly laid out, good photos, good step by step descriptions. Great on frequently required work (adjusting brakes, gears, suspension etc) to less frequent work (replacing parts).
Big plus is that the text will say things like watch out when you undo a particular screw as they have a habit of jumping out the thread and running away on the floor!
Besides the content the book has a good binding and paper quality, have spilt degreaser and oil all over it and not disentergrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 14 Aug 2005
I'd recently brought a new mountain bike and wanted to try at the least the basic maintenance myself. I found this book and read the reviews and decided to give it a try.
I have to agree with all the other positive reviews. Every aspect of bike maintenance is explained at a level a novice can understand without being patronising. The photographs are excellent. Also the information on "how stuff works" really helps the understanding when it comes to the detail of performing a task.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!!, 14 Jun 2005
I just recently spent £600 on a bike for fitness (and fun) reasons. I didn't realise quite how technical they are when I bought it. When I saw this book, I thought it was worth a go. I was right. It has clear diagrams and instruction on how to do any sort of job no matter what sort of mountain bike you have (i.e, hardtail, full suss, single speed, downhill etc). If you are a beginner then this book will help you loads! If you are more experienced I think this will still help you, if there are a couple of jobs your not sure on.
Great buy, if you are enthusiastic about mountain biking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Supa-dupa!, 28 April 2005
By A Customer
After looking over what a few others thought of this book I was convinced it would be the best to buy, put it this way you won't be dissapointed. There are full color illustrations and step by step guides that tell you not just about the bike but what tools and lubes are best for the job.
A great buy, I got mine from one of the market sellers somewhere in the states because it was a couple of £'s cheaper at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mountain Bike Maintenance - Mel Allwood, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Mountain Bike Maintenance (Paperback)
This must be the received maintenance manual for mountain bikes. It is extremely well laid out and accessible. It lays out the problems likely to occur, and explains clearly how to overcome them.

Mountain Bike Maintenance
Mountain Bike Maintenance by Mel Allwood (Paperback - 1 July 2004)
Used & New from: £10.17