5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Lives by John Romer, 22 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaoh's Tombmakers (Phoenix Press) (Paperback)
This is the book that accompanied the television series which was broadcast in the 1980's (I think). It is superbly written in the form of an historical story rather than a text book and is an accurate account of the daily lives of the inhabitants of Deir el Medina, the village where the builders and craftsmen who created the tombs of the Valley of the Kings lived.
Romer's infectious enthusiasm for his subject shines out of every page. I would highly recommend it to any amature Egyptologists especially those who have also read Christian Jacq's fictional 'Stone of Light' series about the tomb builders village. I read 'Ancient Lives' many years ago and when I recently read the 'Stone of Light' series felt that I already knew many of the characters.
I would highly recommend this book to those new to the subject of Egyptology as after reading this you will be hungry for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 July 2007
Mrs. A. M. Chadwick (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
I have been to Egypt, the first time was in 1993, and I made my mind up that I'd like to study Egyptology.

During my second year of studying Egyptology, I've come across this book. Although it wasn't one of the study books I was required to read I decided to purchase it.

It's an excellent book about the Egyptian workers village on the west bank which was close to the Valley of the Kings. Through evidence that's been found this Egyptologist has written a biography about the village and its people.

It's extremely interesting to see how these people coped with the lives they had chosen to live. John Romer also takes a look at some of the peoples lives that have been well documented for generations of Egyptians that were due to follow, the lives of certain Scribes and their families have been extremely well documented, which makes interesting reading for anyone who is interested in Egyptology.

During the middle 1980's Channel 4 did a series of short programmes to do with the "Ancient Lives" of the Egyptians, this is just one of the books which were written in conjunction with that TV series, there are others in this series that you can also read.

It makes an excellent edition to my little Egyptian library, which now stands at nearly 1000 books on this subject. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST-READ BOOK, 6 Oct. 2007
Amazon Customer (Fareham, Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as i started studying Egyptology at Exeter University,
so far i have read it over four times, it traces the lives of the Royal tomb builders of Dier-el-Medina, John Romer covers their marriages, deaths, quarrels and their remarkable acheivements in the Valley of the Kings, as so many of their mames have come to light you have a sense of what they really could have been like, i highly recommend this book to anyone interested in ancient Egypt, its just a shame that the TV series for which this book derives from is not repeated or available to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now on DVD, 22 Oct. 2009
This was a book and TV series that opened my interest in Egyptology. An Excellent read. When I looked up John Romer on the internet I saw that you could pre order the DVD Ancient Lives on Amazon USA. I assume this is why the U Tube extracts have been withdrawn. Is it to be released in England? If so when?
Cheers Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars ancient lives-the story of the tombmakers., 2 Nov. 2008
i thought this book was outstanding.
written beautifully. feel like your really there !

Ancient Lives: The Story of the Pharaoh's Tombmakers (Phoenix Press)
Used & New from: £0.01