5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to read, I love this author's style.
Published on 31 Dec 2008 by Ria B

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and witty account of the reign of Elizabeth I
I enjoyed reading this account on the life of Elizabeth, which deigned to cover her entire documented life from her beginnings, adolescence, to the triumph of her accession, troubles with the Catholic recusants and Mary Queen of Scots to her potential matrimonial woes and the final years of her reign.

Weir does well to cover such a complicated and long period...
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Apocalyptic Queen

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and witty account of the reign of Elizabeth I, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)

Weir does well to cover such a complicated and long period as Elizabeth's life was, within a single volume.
In particular, I found Weir's depiction of Elizabeth's relationships with her long standing favourite Robert Dudley and later the Earl of Essex fascinating and illuminating. Similarly, her relationships with her councillors such as the loyal William Cecil and later her trusted advisor, Francis Walsingham are also scrutinised in lucid detail and the way these depictions are interwoven with unfolding events such as the speculation surrounding the death of Amy Robsart, her quest for a suitable husband and the intrigues of Mary Stuart are particularly impressive indeed. Weir also cautiously espouses some new yet very interesting theories surrounding key events of Elizabeth's reign. A few of these relate to the circumstances concerning Amy Robsart, Mary Stuart and the Earl of Essex.

There are also humorous moments throughout the book and nowhere is this more true than in Weir's vivid and engaging portrayal of Elizabeth's endless quest for a suitable husband who would serve her personal needs in the fullfilment of an heir without threatening her personal autonomy and sovereignty. As it was, none presented himself or else, Elizabeth was too fussy, nevertheless Elizabeth appeared to commit herself to several eager suitors on many different occasions before eventually, pulling back from the brink. She would refine the art of keeping her suitors, her council and her country guessing.

My only criticims with regard to this book relate to the fact that as with the Six Wives, some accounts may well be dubious and not thoroughly substantiated. Also, the book is rather short considering that it is a biography of Elizabeth's entire documented life. I also feel that Weir should have deployed a more impartial analysis of Mary, Queen of Scots, and explored perhaps Mary's side of the story.
However, on the whole, I found this to be an entertaining, readable and witty account of Elizabeth's early life and in particular, her reign.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to read, I love this author's style., 31 Dec 2008
Ria B (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)
I have read David Starkey books on the tudor and period and, personally, I find them pretty hard going and at the end of the book I can't remember much about what has been said for some reason (I think he uses too many big words for me - I have to have a dictionary beside me when I read his books!). I find Alison Weir's books are so much more enjoyable and much easier to understand. I became absolutely engrossed in this book and every day looked forward to my half an hour living and breathing in tudor england with Elizabeth and her Court. That's what this great author does - she makes you feel part of the story, and what a story it is! A great book, well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating portrait of Englands greatest monarch, 12 Aug 1999
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
This was by far the best written and most instantly engaging book I have read on the Elizabethan period. Alison Weir perfectly captures the atmosphere at court and the machinations and intrigue which occured there. Her portraits of figures such as Walsingham and Essex really make these people come alive to the reader, and the account of Essex almost drawing his sword on the queen, was one of the finest pieces of historical writing I have encountered. The detail is not overwhelming and is set within a compelling narrative, which makes it accesible to both experts and the interested novice alike. I cannot rate this book highly enough, and I will certainly be reading Alison Wiers' other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight into Elisabeth as she must have been, 18 July 2000
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
This book, like all others by Alison Weir on the Tudor period, was a delight. The author manages to bring the reader so close to Elisabeth that I really had the feeling I was getting to know her. Particularly enjoyable is the way Weir produces historical evidence : she provides several contemporary accounts on an issue, explains why one account seems to be more reliable that the other - and in the process, never does the record get tedious or scholarly, which in itself is a feat. This approach only gives the impression of a very neutral, objective account - which adds tremendous force to the whole story. And what style, what elegance! A pleasure to read. A great, enjoyable book, which I warmly recommend to anybody interested in history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sympathetic portrayal of Elizabeth, 28 July 2006
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
Alison Weir writes a very engaging and sympathetic account of Queen Elizabeth, taking the reader right into the heart of Renaissance England and Elizabeth's splendid court. This is a vivid portrait of Elizabeth and her relationship with her rivals, suitors, courtiers, subjects, foreign diplomats and enemies. All aspects of court life are covered, from social relations and life at court, to war and the politics of 16th century England, thus providing not just an engaging biography but also a journey in time, taking the reader back 500 years to an England at once imperial, majestic, and in the midst of civil political turmoil. One star less because I feel as if not enough space was given to Elizabeth's relationship and dealings with Mary Tudor or the character and motifs of the Earl of Essex, the uprising of the latter being glossed over very quickly and in little detail, despite Essex's influential role at court.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reading, also for non-UK residents, 7 July 2011
Ronald Rens "Torin" (St. Job in 't Goor, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabeth, The Queen (Paperback)
Great book, read it in the shortest time possible. Every third book you see mentions it is "unputdownable" - well, this one is. This biography is put in a "European" context, and is relevant even for people like me ( I'm from Belgium ). Can't wait to read more from the same author !

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply compelling, 22 Oct 2003
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
I have read many of Alison Weirs' books (the latest being the Princes in the Tower) and can not fault her. Aside from her exquisite ability to transport you to an age where the ruler of a country was all powerful. She guides and teaches you about the person and era in which the book is based.
This book in particuar is a "just can't put it down" book. There is everything. Murder, intrigue, treachery, love and even a bit of comedy (I found the thought off essex walking though london yelling for people to take arms against the queen and noone responding as most humerous). Fact is without doubt better than fiction.
Buy this book and you won't be disappointed and I guarentee this will not be the last Alison Weir book you shall buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Royal red-head rules the roost and the roosters, 11 May 1999
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
To those like me who always thought that history was as dry as the minds that teach it in schools; books like this are a revelation. The story of queen Elizabeth I, is one that should fascinate and inspire women of every generation; and Weir's skill is making a long and detailed story totally absorbing. It is the detail that fascinates and delights at every turn of the page but most of all it is a great story. The blockbuster blurb would read: Feisty young girl escapes her dysfunctional family and prison to succeed in a political career. She forsakes marriage but surrounds herself with handsome men (Sir Robert Dudley looks more like Errol Flynn, than Errol Flynn himself). Even though living on a strict budget she still manages to have a wardrobe of three-thousand dresses. Oh yes, and her people loved her. She could be a bit of a cow though.

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible and fascinating, 15 Aug 1999
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
The best thing about Wier is that documents, accounts,paintings and events are integral to her storytelling. Too many historians stick the actual evidence in footnotes, (or ignore it as an inconvenience) while Wier, yet again produces a gripping tale that is as convincing as it is readable. Buy all her others, starting with her Six Wives of Henry VIII - beats Antonia Fraser's into a cocked hat.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely readable biography of a fascinating woman, 8 Feb 2000
This review is from: Elizabeth, the Queen (Paperback)
This was my first try at a book written by Alsion Weir. I have always been enchanted by Queen Elizabeth 1st & it was pure joy to read a book written by someone who has done their homework. Alison Weir has made this Tudor monarch come alive for me as no other author has (so far) She has shaken the dust from history for me, and it has made me want to read more of her books.

ELIZABETH THE QUEEN (READ BY DAVINA PORTER)
ELIZABETH THE QUEEN (READ BY DAVINA PORTER) by ALISON WEIR (Audio Cassette - 2003)
Used & New from: 28.80