5.0 out of 5 stars a truly memorable novel
Published on 18 Oct 2011 by Nellster

2.0 out of 5 stars More dark than light
Turgid is the only word I can think to describe this novel. Overly wordy in most parts and although I would consider myself to have a larger than average vocabulary, I needed a dictionary to understand some of the words.
Published 19 months ago by An Avid reader

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly memorable novel, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Light: A Novel (Paperback)
I read this book last year and since then have read three more of her books. This is a book which has lived on with me since reading it. I read a lot and have difficulty remembering a lot of what I've read (age possibly!) but Light worked on so many levels that it has taken up residence in a small corner of my mind - along with The Kite Runner, strangely! Elphinstone researches her books thoroughly and the settings are 'off the beaten track' and the characterisation real and rounded. Light works as a historical novel (looking at the changes made to the lighthouses around the coast of Britain), an historical social commentary (how mixed race people were viewed in Britain at the time), a recounting of the lives of lighthouse keepers at the time, a revenge thriller and a lovely and touching love story. This is one of those amazing stories which just make sense, the characters are engaging and real and I really cared about them. Give yourself a treat and read Light. Even the title is flawless!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great read!, 30 July 2007
E. J. Cadman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light (Paperback)
What I like about Elphinstone's writing is that she can go from the universal themes (she describes, probably unintentionally, the whole of the Universal Process in the first paragraph of 'Light' while ostensibly describing the way the lighthouse works)to extracting profound moral drama out of everyday and normal happenings. Her descriptions of what it takes to keep the lighthouse running day to day and her insightful understanding of the dilemmas each character faces make this a real page turner -- like all her work.

2.0 out of 5 stars More dark than light, 21 April 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Light: A Novel (Paperback)
Not for me I'm afraid! A thoroughly dull novel which took a long time to get nowhere! I very rarely give up on a book and it took all my determination to get through this. The only good thing was that I was able to buy it cheaply through Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, 1 Aug 2012
Carroty Nell "Nell" (Alaska, USA (summer) Manchester, England (winter)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Light: A Novel (Paperback)
Light by Margaret Elphinstone is a stunning and absolutely flawless book.

The story is set on a tiny island, Ellan Bride, off the Isle of Man in the early 19th century. The only human inhabitants of Ellan Bride are the lighthouse keeper, Lucy, her widowed sister-in-law Diya and their three children. When Mr Stevenson's surveyors, Archie and Ben, arrive on the island in advance of building a new, modern lighthouse, Lucy and her family know that their way of life is under threat.

'Light' is not a book with a dynamic storyline - don't expect murders and twists in the plot. What makes this a great and unforgettable read is the superb setting: Elphinstone's descriptions of the bird and animal life and the natural topography of Ellan Bride is powerful indeed. Equally masterful is her characterisation: the cast of characters is very small and all the stronger for it. We really get inside the minds of Lucy, Archie and the rest -they become as real for the reader as the noise of those omnipresent seabirds.

A really great book told in wonderful, flowing and vivid prose.

Light: A Novel
Light: A Novel by Margaret Elphinstone (Paperback - 16 Aug 2007)