4.0 out of 5 stars Rifkind Rocks
Published on 21 Mar 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Trys so hard
Published on 19 May 2010 by Steve Smiles

4.0 out of 5 stars Rifkind Rocks, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: OverExposure (Mass Market Paperback)
I had read a lot of Hugo Rifkind's columns in The Times so I thought I knew what to expect, namely, witty, sharp and incisive writing. While that's what I got, and oodles of it to boot, I was left just a little deflated. On reflection, I think its because my expectations were too high. In fairness, Overexposure isn't pitched as some intellectual or verbal masterpiece - I read it in about two days, which is pretty quick when you consider I don't generally have a lot of time to read anything these days - but I was expecting slightly more.

The plot clips along and you swerve between sympathy and apathy for the central figure - he's a pretty pathetic character, not sure what he's doing in his deadline-driven job, not sure what he's waiting for in life outside of work. But of course, despite seeming like a horrible person, the glint of goodness we all apparently possess comes through in the end.

The ending was probably the most disappointing element - There was always only one of two options here, and neither would have surprised - you could see it coming a mile off.

This is a light read. It carries you along, entertaining you along the way. The plot isn't too complicated and you won't be taxed intellectually, but the writing is very good and well structured. I really enjoyed it and I look forward to another from Mr. Rifkind.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's funny 'cos it's true, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Overexposure (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable crime caper. It read like a modern day Ealing comedy, almost as if Irvine Welsh had had a hand in the writing. Maybe someone who hasn't worked in media would find the characters unrealistic, yet I can tell you they are very real indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable romp, 19 Oct 2006
J. Fraser (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OverExposure (Paperback)
Hugo Rifkind is a shining wit (Spoonerism not intended) and this punchy debut is a cracking read concerning the dark underside of celebrity journalism. I would say it was a perfect holiday read, if that isn't too much of a backhanded compliment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worryingly accurate depiction of gossip columnists' lives, 3 Aug 2006
J. Malvern "Jack Malvern" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OverExposure (Paperback)
Highly enjoyable whodunnit? that will appeal to fans of Iain Banks and anyone seeking an insight into the hollow circus that is the London gossip scene.

4.0 out of 5 stars PG Wodehouse meets Martin Amis in a dingy hotel room rented out by Irvine Welsh. Some time later this book appears..., 26 Sep 2006
dangermouseforpope "Penfold" (Number 10 downing street. The Letter box on the corner.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OverExposure (Paperback)
Read this book. If you've never read a book before, then learn to read, then buy this book and then read it.

Even if you've read loads of other books this is still a wonderful book, in comparison to those other books that you like, whatever they may be.

Yes that's right. This book has it all. Comedy. Tragedy. Sex. Violence. Corruption. Drugs. Love. Sadness. Sex.

It also has, in this crazy mixed up world we live in and is often found wanting on a basic moral level, depth and substance.

Ironic given that it's about the shallow and empty world of celebrity. You see? Shallowness/depth: the dichotomy of our seedy yet exciting age.

Read it if you love celebrity culture. Read it if you loathe celebrity culture. Read it. Read it. Read it.

There. That's all I have to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling!, 31 July 2006
P. M. Goodman "Petegoodman" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OverExposure (Paperback)
Hugo Rifkind is a newcomer to the writing scene, but has arrived with a bang.

Over exposure is a smart sassy and sordid book - completely unputdownable.

I look forward to Hugo's next.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trys so hard, 19 May 2010
This review is from: OverExposure (Paperback)
I picked this book based on the reviews given and was totally disappointed. I have never read a book that has tried to be so painstaking trendy, How does it do this basically by name dropping every celebrity you can think of (and some you cant) during the course of the book. If i had to read the sentence 'Who would play me in a movie of my life' again I would quite happily gouge my eyes out. The story plods on very slowly interrupted by a load of backstory that seems completley irrelevant to the actual main story. Avoid at all costs it truly is the worst book I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

OverExposure
OverExposure by Hugo Rifkind (Mass Market Paperback - 3 May 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01