5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and sensitive writing
Published on 24 April 2005 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars True story well told but....
This is a good book based on a true story of a German girl's life and loves in Nazi Germany. It is however badly written. The writer obviously knows nothing about punctuation e.g use of quotation marks etc I wanted to get my red pen out and correct all the errors. Worth a read and a buy but annoying due to the terrible way in which it was written and structured.
Published 19 months ago by Ms. A. A. Macintyre

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and sensitive writing, 24 April 2005
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
This is the story of Trudy and her mother Anna. Trudy is a University Professor of History at University where she teaches. Born in Germany she and her mother manage to start a new life in America after the war. The theme is one of search for identity, Trudy's identity and she realises who she is in a most unsuspecting way. Flitting back to her mother Anna's experience in the war and what she must do to "save" her daughter from starvation Anna must become involved with an SS Officer of high rank. There is, however, a secret which can never be divulged during these times and ultimately Anna will never admit to Trudy's birthright. We are transported between Nazi Germany and modern Minnesota as the story unfolds. Trudy decides to research the experience of Germans who lived during the time of Hitler and how they interacted with the Jews believing that she is the child of the liaison between her mother and the German Officer. Many of these older Germans did not admit to a culpability of Jew hatred or complicity in handing over the Jews to the Nazis. It is only in an interview with a German who lived in the same time that she becomes aware of the deep secret kept from her all her life. Jenna Blum does not point the finger of accusation but in a considered way allows us to look at the situation and formalise our own conclusions regarding her mother's war time behaviour and that of other Germans.

Jenna Blum's first novel is sensitively written and although one might consider that its initial appeal might be to female readers, I found myself reading the book whenever I could and my attention did not waiver. At first I was not convinced of the plausability of such a story line and looking through Jenna Blum's biographical notes she worked with Steven Spielbergs Shoah Foundation where she must have got some ideas for this book. Certain scenes of intimacy between Anna and her Officer lover could have been sensationalised. Blum avoids any smut and although the reader will understand the nature of these moments they are not thrust down our throat in a manner of speaking. I look forward to Jenna Blum's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, shocking and totally moving, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
An brilliantly written but devastating story about the victims of world war 2. The horrors that jewish people went through but also how the Germans suffered too which is a view point many of us, myself included, didn't entertain much before this book. An emotional story about how there are no winners in war. I felt like a time traveller, going from the character in the war, to almost present day and how two generations and such a massive event can have such a knock on effect. I loved this book, even with some of the cruel stories told, it needs to be understood and never forgotton how horrid it was. Truely gripping, a recommended read and definately will always stay a part of my soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 29 Jun. 2011
Freckles (Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
A wonderful and remarkable novel which I have included in my list of favourite books.

I found the subject matter very harrowing in places and one particular character's recollections of Nazi Germany and it's treatment of the Jews ...well I found myself reading it over and over.

Just dazzling...a true masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
I bought this book this afternoon in a charity shop for £1. It is well worth the cover price!

I imagine most of us are familiar with WW2 stories about hidden Jews and the resistance, but this books digs down another layer, into the life of an ordinary German woman struggling to do her best for her fatherless child. Interwoven between the narrative from 1939-45 is the complimentary story of that child, now a history lecturer in America, as during the course of her research she rediscovers the truth about her own past.

This book reminds me of Margaret Forster's writing. Uncomfortable, but so true.

Bought at 2pm. Read by midnight. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spans the Generations, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
My 16 year old daughter bought this book and passed it on to me with a very high recommendation. I loved it. I've read numerous books about Nazi Germany but found this to be a really original and gripping story and would encourage anyone to buy it. It is disturbing at times - as you would expect - but should not be avoided as a consequence. It is an excellent first novel and I look forward to further works by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible..., 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
What an incredible, thought-provoking, educational book. It made me see the war from a completely different angle and understand some of the complexities of the decisions people had to make during this terrible time. I urge you to read it - don't be put off by the subject matter (as i was initially) - it's a well-written page turner...i feel lost without it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Those who save us, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
A lovely book makes the reader think of the second world war from a different perspective. The Germans all too often thought of badly or the Jews misunderstood. So thought provoking in many ways.I loved the two way read of today and yesterday with the unknown parallels and a wonderful read from beginning to end. I would read this author again.

5.0 out of 5 stars different perspective, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
my whole family read and loved this book.mother,sister and daughter.we all thought it was so different as it tells the story of a daughter of a war survivor,both now living in america, who is not jewish and her relationship with her mother.she is trying to unravel her mothers unusual war time experiences .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Brilliant...Brilliant, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
I first read this book about five years ago. Since then I have read it twice more.
I love it. The subject matter is dark and emotionally troubling, but the story is simply gripping.
Definitely in my top five books of all time and thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read! Get it, 6 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Those Who Save Us (Paperback)
Couldn't put this down! Not your typical holocaust story but excellently written, captivating. One of those books that I need to pass on, but need to find the right person who will appreciate it! (book-lovers problems)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Those Who Save Us
Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (Paperback - 30 Mar. 2006)