5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy novice
Im a total novice to drawing but was keen to try and learn. I found this book both interesting and very helpful, with plenty of practical advice which has really helped me to develop and produce results which i am very happy with, whilst also keeping the enthusiasm level high.
Published on 10 July 2007 by UK Neil

3.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental
Not as good as I thought it would be and prefer the drawing portraits book and found that more useful
Published 18 months ago by Alisonrb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy novice, 10 July 2007
I can't comment on how helpful or not it would be to an already established artist as i am not one! but for anyone starting out like myself i would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book out there for serious artistic drawing, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Fundamentals of Drawing: A Complete Professional Course for Artists (Paperback)
I started out looking for books that actually explained HOW and WHY we should draw what we see. Unlike other books which tell you to draw shapes (circles, boxes etc) then add flesh, this book concentrates one what you actually see, shades, shapes, sizes etc. I was a little daunted at first, but then had a go. I was amazed. I can now draw very realistic eyes, noses, lips - put these together to make a face - then move and draw figures.

Get this book and you wont need another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentals of drawing, 23 July 2009
H-Man (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book that goes through the basics of essential observation and drawing skills. It is full of great examples and has inspired me to have a go at drawing, something I haven't done since my school days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 26 Dec 2012
H. G. Phillips "not-a-techie" (vale of glamorgan) - See all my reviews
I have looked at many "How to draw" books. Most are superficial, and of the "any fool can draw" type. This book is a classic, covering all aspects of drawing together with relevant exercises. Slow but thorough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good tips and ides, 10 Aug 2010
A good book for those looking for tips and ideas although the book probably offers more if I read it through. Probably more suited to the serious aspiring artist rather than me who is just playing at it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental, 9 Feb 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 16 Jun 2013
Tom Groves (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up along with Donna Krizek's "Compendium of Drawing Techniques" in a quick "have to use these vouchers up before they expire" shopping trip. Unlike the DK book, which I really enjoyed, I thought this one was dreadful.

The advice is generic, vague, worthless ("don't worry if you go wrong - have another go" is a constant refrain but given that there's very little detailed explanation of HOW to do anything, you're likely to go wrong an awful lot and not know why) and often even contradictory (P94 "Attention to detail is important...don't put in more leaves than are actually there, or too few." followed a couple of paragraphs later by "It is not necessary to count all the leaves and render them precisely, just put in enough to make your drawing look convincing"). His approach largely seems to come down to 1) Draw the outline and 2) Shade it in. This is probably not the best way to become a quality artist.

Technique is very inconsistent and a lot of the drawings are amateurish (sometimes embarrassingly so IMO), sloppy and careless. P75's image for example, unless I'm missing the point somehow, has the most appallingly incorrect perspective in a jarring awful drawing (under a sentence exclaiming "In both of these compositions the use of perspective is essential to their success" no less).

I'm sure there are occasional nuggets of worthwhile information hidden amongst the dross. I'm equally certain that there are many many other more useful and more enjoyable reading experiences out there on this topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars value for money, 20 April 2011
Took this book out from the library, it was ideal for
what i wanted, a guide to drawing. Liked it so much
decided to buy a copy, found this product on Amazon
50% less than rrp so i bought it, great value for money
and arrived within two days...what service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits the nail on the head, 8 Mar 2013
This book just hits the nail on the head for me. These are the fundamentals to get right. I had not realised just how difficult it is to draw a vertical line free hand. Now I am paying more attention to these basic techniques and my sketches are visibly getting better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentals of drawing, 14 May 2014
As a complete beginner - and not having any unrealistic expectations - I thought this book looked really good and does the business. I haven't seriously got into it yet, but it looks as though it will show me the fundamentals

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›