Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2011
I started out looking for books that actually explained HOW and WHY we should draw what we see. Unlike other books which tell you to draw shapes (circles, boxes etc) then add flesh, this book concentrates one what you actually see, shades, shapes, sizes etc. I was a little daunted at first, but then had a go. I was amazed. I can now draw very realistic eyes, noses, lips - put these together to make a face - then move and draw figures.

Get this book and you wont need another.
on 10 July 2007
Im a total novice to drawing but was keen to try and learn. I found this book both interesting and very helpful, with plenty of practical advice which has really helped me to develop and produce results which i am very happy with, whilst also keeping the enthusiasm level high.
I can't comment on how helpful or not it would be to an already established artist as i am not one! but for anyone starting out like myself i would highly recommend this book.
on 23 July 2009
This is a great book that goes through the basics of essential observation and drawing skills. It is full of great examples and has inspired me to have a go at drawing, something I haven't done since my school days.
on 19 April 2015
What a fabulous book - I went from total despair at my poor efforts before owning this book to feeling extremely pleased at my swift progress after only an hour of reading and practising with the help of this book - so much so I am enthused to carry on. Excellent if you are a beginner like me.
on 26 December 2012
I have looked at many "How to draw" books. Most are superficial, and of the "any fool can draw" type. This book is a classic, covering all aspects of drawing together with relevant exercises. Slow but thorough.
on 12 March 2014
I liked this book. It guides you from basic drawing exercises through to drawing figures. I felt there could have been a bit more explanation of how to draw the more complicated things.
on 10 August 2010
A good book for those looking for tips and ideas although the book probably offers more if I read it through. Probably more suited to the serious aspiring artist rather than me who is just playing at it.
on 9 February 2013
Not as good as I thought it would be and prefer the drawing portraits book and found that more useful
on 18 January 2016
This book is from one of those authors that has several books around a topic, drawing in this case, with lots of reused content between them. Having said that, the content is too shallow for a book that calls itself a “complete professional course for artists”. Drawings are uninspiring, even amateurish in some cases.

The book cannot be considered a “complete” course, much less “professional” or targeted at “artists”. Even hobbyist can find much better books out there.
on 1 March 2015
This is the book to get if you're starting to draw. I looked at several different books and borrowed some from the library, this being one of them. I like the simple starting guide ideas to create the correct composition. The kindle price for this guide makes it a gift.