Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2008
I bought this book fully expecting your usual how-to draw book, that might tell you a lot or show you lots of pictures, but never fully explains how to get to the final drawing. Luckily I was wrong. This is a really good book for beginners, as Ben takes you step-by-step through drawing facial features, body parts, full figures and costume. He has a lively and engaging style which is full of enthusiasm for the medium, and he also includes a section at the back about colouring your designs using Photoshop.

Highly recommended.
on 12 December 2005
This is the best Manga book I have seen (and I have ten of them). Ben Krefta uses simple step by step instructions to take you through the enitre drawing process.
If there is one Manga book to buy to start off with then this is the one.
on 12 August 2009
This book defiantly set me back a bit as wasn't expecting too much from it at first when I bought it. As I bought several different books and this one wasn't the one that I thought I would learn from the most in the sense of How To Draw. (Well what Can I say I was wrong lol) I rate the book 5 Star.

To begin with and as one might expect the book starts with how to do the basic's then goes into how to do more complex tasks such as drawing body's faces and things such as equipment and other more complex tests. Quite easy to pick up the style of drawing from this book defiantly good book for beginners and I defiantly recommend this book for any manga or anime drawer advanced or beginner level. 5 Star all the way.
on 13 August 2012
Allow me to give a bit of background about myself (feel free to skip the first paragraph). Art, and in particular drawing, has been a hobby of mine all my life, and I have been watching anime ever since Pokémon first made its debut on our TV screens when I was a kid. Recently I've been getting into anime (and manga) much more and have dabbled in drawing some of my own and with the help of youtube (big shout out to Mark Crilley and his fantastic channel!). I decided to look for a book which could give me additional insights into the style of art and how to better approach it, so I ordered this book and here we are.

The book arrived earlier today, and I've spent a fair amount of time looking through it all. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into it, and it feels very well put together. There are a lot of really useful tips in here, and the conversational style of the author is very easy to get along with.

Unfortunately, however, the style of drawing in this book is not what I would call 'typical' of the Manga I am used to, and indeed, was expecting when I ordered this book. Ben Krefta has his own unique way of drawing manga, and where I feel I was let down was the front cover. I 'judged the book by its cover' before deciding to make the purchase, and feel as though the style of manga depicted inside the book is actually pretty different from the girl on the front cover, who is more 'typical' looking (in a manga sense).

I would say that his manga fits into the 'pseudo-manga' category he himself talks about in the introduction. It looks very western influenced. I especially think that the noses, jaws and chins (especially from a profile or slightly turned away view) are particularly different to what I would call 'the norm' of manga.

I hope this has informed your decision, and I am aware I dwelled on the negatives rather a lot, but really do be aware that he does give some really useful advice and tips in the book too. If you see a seller which is offering it for a cheap price I'd say it's worth the purchase just for last sections which give tips and advice on photoshop, colours etc.
on 20 December 2009
Already had a copy of this book, to give me some inspiration for designs of my own but my 10 and 14 year old kids dip into it all the time. Have looked at a lot of other books for basic and advanced manga drawing instructions and still think this is one of the best, so bought it as a gift for another beginner. Has clear instructions and illustrations for mastering techniques for drawing individual parts ie - hands, eyes, hair, head shapes, expressions and accessories building up to the full figure - which other books don't cover, specially not with such clarity. Couldn't recommend this book enough for anyone starting out with manga drawing, has good back to basics info for figure drawing in general and also has a section for working with your drawings in Photoshop with tips and techniques for storyboarding. As a rusty artist who used to enjoy figure work this has been a great book for me to re-focus and get back and into things and my 10 year old daughter has taken all the instructions on board and is now starting to impressively draw from her own imagination. A great book for an artists collection.
on 12 February 2011
this was the first ever book i bought for drawing manga, i honestly didn't know what to expect, when i got it and flicked through it i was happy to see that everything was straight forward step-by-step guides to drawing every aspect of a manga character you need. i'm also a beginner at drawing, and i don't normally produce very good art, but i'm amazed at the results i get from following the steps in this book. if you are a beginner and you want to learn to draw manga this is definitely the book you want. worth every penny.
on 19 August 2011
Bought this for my 12 year old who is interested in Manga, it's an ideal beginners book as it takes you through each section in clear, easy to follow steps. It covers everything from faces to figures to clothes, how to position the figures and clothes to suggest action and movement and has a section on photoshop. The best of this type of book by far and at an extremely affordable price.
on 20 December 2010
this book has been a great help to me as i only started drawing anime and manga shortly before this and has made my work a couple of grades higher and has given me the understanding of the facial expressions and body stances it also helps with clothes and accessories which many books forget and it makes the book more interesting as it is not the same as most that only tell you some of the things you need to know. but there is only one problem with this book and it is that it mainly only shows you how to draw his drawings again and not draw your own so I recommend getting another book with it. it is great for beginners and more complex drawers if you are a beginner then it will lift you onto your feet and if you are great at drawing anime then it will give you many tips and hints and tell you things you didn't know that help you a lot.
on 17 July 2011
Bought this for my autistic daughter who previously loved copying manga characters.
Since receiving this book she is now creating her own characters instead of just copying others, which is exactly what we wanted. She's hardly without it now.
on 22 December 2011
For me, this is the first manga book i'v bought, being led by other reviews. And i cant say how great this books is. it gives easy step-by-step pictures and explanations to guide you through your work and gives you an idea on how to create your own work. this book tells you how to create effective character movement as well as showing how to emphasise emotions and body language and shows you how to create actions like juming, running, falling etc.truthfully, i cant love this book enough. ooh and great delivery too. i ordered with free super saver delivery, estimated for the next week. do you how long it took to come? ONE DAY. i ordered yesterday and it came today, although it was estimated for the 29th december. Amazon, i love you