5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best and kindest sleep book on the market
Published on 13 Aug. 2003 by F Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas
A woman (Hollyer) who loves her health visitor (Smith) felt she was her "fairy godmother". The two came together to write this book about baby sleep. It does have some good ideas but the book leaves you to sort it out by yourself. The key idea is a core night which happens in the first few months and becomes the basis for helping your baby sleep. However, if you...
Published on 19 Aug. 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best and kindest sleep book on the market, 13 Aug. 2003
F Brown (Bromley, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
After 1 year of sleepless nights (being up 3-6 hours nearly every night), I was only half way through reading this, when I tried implementing the suggestions and within 3 nights, and very little distress to all, my daughter slept through! Although it is far more useful to read before the baby arrives, it is still invaluable at any stage if you have a child who does not sleep. It gave me the confidence to believe that my daughter could sleep through the night and she did. It also has great advice when sleep becomes disrupted again due to teething/illness etc. I borrowed a copy with my first child, bought a second hand copy with my second daughter and have lent it out and recommended it to anyone and everyone. I am delighted to see it is back in print

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for new parents, 19 Aug. 2006
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
We bought the book on recommendation from a friend. It uses a baby led approach to learning to sleep through the night. The core night chapter in particular is very useful. One of the biggest hints that it gave to us though is to trust your baby to be able to sleep. Taking that advice on board stopped us running to pick both our girls up at the first noise and waiting to see if they would settle by themself first. As a result our eldest slept through 10pm-7am from 7 weeks and the youngest by 8 weeks old. It is not a cry it out approach at all - I personally am not for that sort of parenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best baby advice book ever written!, 17 July 2001
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
I was given this book by a friend of mine when I was pregnant and she said she had wished she had it when her son was a few weeks old.
I read it twice before my daughter was born and again once she had arrived - I admit in the early weeks I threw the book across the room a couple of times in frustration & tiredness! But I followed the advice - suddenly at 7 weeks old Emily did her "Core" night - down at 10pm and she didn't wake until 5.30am. I couldn't believe it and neither could my body - I was breast feeding at the time!
We did get caught out trying to keep Emily up for her 10pm feed as she would feed at 7pm and then be screaming again by 8pm, friends said it was colic but I searched the book again and realised she did want another feed even though she had just finished and then to go to bed please!
Bedtime just got earlier and earlier until finally Emily was saying; "Bedtime is 7pm Mum!". By 10 weeks Emily was going to bed at 7pm and waking at 7am - Thank you Beatrice and Lucy! My husband & I returned to eating and talking together of an evening and my daughter (who is now 1) actually says "Ba, Ba" when she has finished her milk and is ready to be put in her cot!
She sleeps for England day and night and I have no doubt that she is such a happy and contented child because she gets plenty of sleep and is confident to go to sleep all by herself.
Of course we have had some nightime interruptions with teeth/illness and it would be easy to give her a feed to get her back to sleep - but she knows and we know, that she is only fed when she's hungry!
This book is so fantastic as it tells you to take your queue from your baby and avoids the traps so many parents seem to fall into resulting in unnecessary sleep training/controlled crying. I cannot believe it is out of print - I ordered a copy from America. It should be handed out in the delivery suite instead of the packs they give you! I have only just allowed my treasured copy out of my sight and lent it to my aerobics teacher who is exhausted by her 6 week old baby girl!

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless!, 24 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
A priceless read for any would be parents. We were so thrilled by the results we acheived after implementing the suggestions in this book that we now by it as a gift for everyone we know who is expecting a baby. These women are common sense geniuses!

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider it before going to "Cry" Method, 26 Mar. 2014
its a thin straight forward book with feelings to get your job done. Your baby will start sleeping through the night by one and week if you follow the book. It is worth seeing before you try "Cry it out" method.
I personally feel "Cry" method is cruel. As baby is left in cot to cry .. come on he is just a baby he doesn't know what he supposed to do when the parents left him alone in dark room. how will he understand... are you expecting him to be so intelligent as an adult.

This book offers you to console your baby and tell him what he supposed to do in controlled crying. As if a baby daily gets a loly then one day you dont give because its a bad habit but leave the child cry is not good but you can console him and show him the other things than loly.. in the way child dont get distress and get to know that there are other things available than loly .. and happily settles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence for Mum, 30 Jan. 2013
This was a great book to read. Not only to the point (and common sense!) but gives you the confidence to believe in your baby.

I am breastfeeding my baby and was under the impression that she could not go through the night without a feed. The lack of sleep was driving me loopy (as I have a very energetic 2 year old). Within a week and half she was sleeping through and waking up so happy and pleased with herself (i did give her alot of praise...she is amazing for saving her mother's sanity after all). The book does tell you about the "core night" which I took as anything over 5 hours (baby was nearly 3 months). I know all the arguments for not giving a dummy but I used it for 3 nights only (as I could not have her waking my 2 year old). She had it once for 5 minutes the first night, 10 sucks the next, 2 sucks the last time..... and no more. What can I say - she learns fast!

The book is quick and easy to read and it certainly helped me. Good luck if you do read the book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book gave me confidence, 2 Aug. 2008
S. Mcadam (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
This book gave me the confidence to believe that my (now 4month old) son was capable of sleeping for long stretches at a time, and he now sleeps happily from 8pm-6.30am each night - he's done this since around 14 weeks. No harsh techniques, just understanding how sleep works and what you can do to help things along in the most natural way, using the 'core night' as your starting point.
I lent my copy of the book to 4 other mums at my postnatal group, who were intrigued about how I had so little hassle with the whole sleep issue, and they couldn't believe how it helped to turn their sleep problems around - again, mainly just from giving them understanding and confidence.

It also helps that it's quite concise and a very easy read.

Highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars very quick to read - very good advice, 5 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
It doesn't take long to read this book at all. From the moment I finished it I felt more confident about parenting. I also felt confident that it would be possible to get our daughter to sleep - so I was feeling much better before I'd even put anything into practice.
We tried sticking to the methods in the book and we had results in days. Our baby was sleeping for a long time and so were we. Everyone was much happier. It was from this point that I really enjoyed being a parent.

This book gives very concise information, and I believe it would be useful for a child of any age. You may find it useful to complement it with another book with more specific details of things you can try like bedtime routines.

Update: six years on.
We have now used this book for both of our daughters (now 6 and 2). Both are very good sleepers compared to their peers, and have been throughout their lives. My first daughter was reliably sleeping 10 hours plus from 6 weeks old, and 12 hours a few weeks later. My second daughter was very stubborn (and loud) and without the guidelines in this book she would have run us ragged. It took about 3 months to get her reliably sleeping for 12 hours a night, and she tested us from time to time after that. Each child is different, but the advice in this book should give you some power to influence your childs sleep rather than just leaving it to chance. We have also recommended this book to many other friends who have had children. Those who have stuck with it have had good results, but some have found it easier than others. I would recommend getting this book and having read it before your child is 4 weeks old. Then you'll be ready to take advantage of it from the earliest opportunities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relax!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
This book was recommended to us by one of the senior staff at the Children's Osteopathy Centre in London. Unlike many other books on the subject it gave us an insight into the whole sleep issue from the baby's point of view, helping us understand what was going on without laying down rules about how things should be, with timetables to fit into. It took the pressure off and really gave us guidance for dealing with our baby. We now give this book to all our friends who become pregnant. If you like to understand situations and don't just want to follow instructions, this book is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great support, recommended read for all parents to be., 15 April 2010
A. Grey-Areben (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights (Paperback)
I bought this after having my second baby, who wasn't a good sleeper like my first. It is an easy read and I found it very helpful as it explains the mechanics of a baby's sleep. There are a number of examples, which help you see the advice in practise, there is also a good appreciation that children are different but as the principles are simple they can be applied to all children. The difficulty is whether as a parent you are willing to make the sacrifices to follow the plan but as with all these type of books, you take what you want and leave the rest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights
Sleep: The Easy Way To Peaceful Nights by Lucy Smith (Paperback - 9 May 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01