5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and delicious
When people talk about 'fast food' and 'easy vegetarian recipes', my heart sinks. So often this means bland and joyless food. Not so with Nadine Abensur! This book is definitely easy, yet never bland, and often exotic.
Published on 5 Jan 2004 by Gabrielle O

2.0 out of 5 stars 101 ways with soy sauce and tabasco
On the face of it, this seems to present an interesting mix of recipes. However, the majority seem to contain soy sauce and(sorry, 'tamari'), tabasco, and then some combination of cumin / coriander / ginger. Whilst I appreciate that north african cooking is the author's heritage it rapidly gets a bit tedious; the new bible seems to have a far wider range.
Published on 31 Dec 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and delicious, 5 Jan 2004
This review is from: Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health (Paperback)
I was given this book for Christmas, and am really enjoying it. I already have the Cranks Bible, and was relieved to find that none of the recipes are duplicated here.
The recipes really are very quick and easy to make. Many of them use things that you would already have in your kitchen - for example there is a surprisingly tasty soup made from frozen peas, a very easy recipe for spanakopita, etc. For a novice cook (like me!) it is very encouraging to have such delicious results from so little effort. The recipes are much more simple than those in the Cranks Bible, and Abensur doesn't expect me to make pastry from scratch - the book is very accepting of the fact that ready-made pastry or pasta is the more realistic option.
My only complaint would be that although the recipes are quick to make, some of them call for a range of ingredients that would take hours to shop for. Unless you live in a big metropolitan city like London, this really slows things down. That said, this is only the case with a few of the recipes in the book, and they do look awfully good and are probably worth it.
Abensur's style is very readable - often she give hints in the recipe which would give you ideas for adapting it in new ways. This is really a cook's book - but for people who are just starting. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food, fast, 28 May 2002
This review is from: Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health (Paperback)
I really liked this book. It uses a good variety of foods, especially pulses. It does use a few key ingredients fairly regularly but I found this a good thing, since you can make sure you have them in the house and then you can cook a lot of different things in the book. The recipes are simple and easy to follow and are do-able in the 15-20 mins the author allows. Good pictures too. And you can adapt them pretty easily if you are trying to follow a lower fat diet. The chickpea and halloumi salad, by the way, is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 1 Nov 2006
This review is from: Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health (Paperback)
I can't say enough good things about this book. I was surprised by the comment about pasta dishes as only 1 out of the 10 chapters in this relates to pasta. For the tofu fans I would highly recommend the mushroom and tofu stroganoff which has a lovely strong rich flavor. There is a great variety in this book and I have yet to become bored of it, in fact when I recently moved house I was in a blind panic when I thought I'd lost it! There are a couple of recipes that will take you longer when you make them this first couple of times, but in general they live up to the promise of being easy to throw together in 30 mins. I often delve into this during the week after being at work all day and this is the only one of my recipe books I would dare to do this with.

If you are looking at his book as a Christmas present then that gives just enough time to try the wonderful seasonal delight of Jerusalem artichokes with red wine and Gruyere. The best place to find these is always small fruit and veg shops as you don't really see them in the supermarket other than Sainsbury's.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, delicious, easy recipes - a wonderful book, 13 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I have become vegetarian recently, & was missing making (& eating!) all my meat-based recipes - until a friend gave me this book. Within 12 hours of receiving it (on Christmas morning!) I'd made one recipe, & within 3 weeks I'd made a dozen more. They were all simple, & really tasty. Like the previous reviewer, I have a meat-loving husband, & even he hasn't missed eating meat at all. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated meals fast! I can't live without this book now, 5 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This book has got me back into the kitchen every evening. I thought that I had no time after work to cook a decent healthy meal until I got this book. There are great recipes for sophisticated meals that can be created in around 30 mins. Although some unusual ingredients are required I love the glossary that provides information on what they are and also a list on essential storecupboard contents. Initially I was unsure if my (meateater) husband would like the meals but, to my surprise he's loved everything I've made so far! I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking vegetarian meals but is limited to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for people in a hurry, 7 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Nadine has done it again! What a great selection of lovely food - all of which can be cooked in under 30 mins. Great for a working mum like me. Can't wait for the next release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like middle eastern flavours, 21 Feb 2006
This review is from: Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health (Paperback)
Easy to use recipes and great if you like spicier, middle eastern flavours and colourful food (not bland, mushy stuff!). I don't find the ingredients unusual or hard to source, unlike other reviewers, but then I do live in London! One of the few recipe books where I've made more than 2 or 3 recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Food Book for Modern Life!, 8 Jan 2010
Miss Scarlet (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health (Paperback)
Quite simply, I live out of this book. I must cook something from it 3-4 times a week. It is wonderful. I would be lost without it. I have owned it for three or four years now and it has brought my level of cooking and knowledge of ingredients to another level. My husband loves the dishes from it too. I am always confident I can impress with a dish from 'Cranks Fast Food' even within my busy time-strapped lifestyle. I thoroughly recommend this to anybody who wants to eat well and still keep regular hours of work! It's relaxing to cook from and the dishes re-awaken the sensuality of food and the healing properties of a really good dinner! Thanks Nadine!

5.0 out of 5 stars My FAVORITE cookbook ever!, 27 Sep 2012
Nadine Abensur's recipes make this cookbook my very favorite...EVER! My guests tend to agree, as they benefit from the many delicious and healthy dishes that I make following the Crank's recipes. Some dishes have become old favorites for me and my friends...others remain to be discovered and savoured. This is the best cookbook that I've ever found for making tasty and nutritious meals--and as a vegetarian, I have a particular fondness for this book. Highly recommended....as I recommend also Nadine's "Crank's Bible."

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Food indeed, 7 Sep 2009
This review is from: Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health (Paperback)
This book is fully in the Cranks Tradition; inspirational!
the recipes are excellent and straight forward, and the Author's suggestions for a "Basic Kit" are absolutely on the nail!
Highly recommended.

Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health
Cranks Fast Food: For Vitality And Health by Nadine Abensur (Paperback - 11 Oct 2001)
Used & New from: 11.75