5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually good reference book
I'm a trainee yoga teacher and this is quite possibly my favourite asana/posture book in my fairly large library of yoga texts. Things I like which justify my 5 star rating and recommendation of the book to other readers are:

Published on 3 May 2010 by Dirk Benade

3.0 out of 5 stars A handy book to have
This is a very handy book to have when learning postures. However, it can be a little long winded where something could be explained much simpler the book goes into too much detail and can be a little confusing at times. But the pictures are brilliant and it's a handy size to carry around.
Published on 4 July 2011 by Anne Bedford

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually good reference book, 3 May 2010
This review is from: The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles (Paperback)

1. It is not aligned to any particular school of yoga. The majority of postures you'd find in Ashtanga, Sivananda, Iyengar, Bikram and Bihar schools are listed.

2. Unusually this book also gives build-up poses and counter-poses for each posture. It also identifies what the effect (energising, calming, strengthening etc.) for each pose is. You won't find these things in many other books and it's useful if you practise on your own to be aware of this and want to construct your own lesson plans.

3. Multiple modifications to make any posture easier or harder are also identified. I think these are clearly explained and practical.

4. The author is strong on alignment and also the subtler aspects of yoga. The language makes it clear that it's not about getting the perfect pose, but about experiencing the sensation of the posture in your body.

I concede the point raised by one reviewer that the photographs demonstrating the postures are of the full expression and not for the beginner or intermediate positions. Because of this I'd agree that the book will be most valuable to those who are fairly experienced. That said, I think it can be helpful to see the full posture and start working towards it as a long term goal measured in years rather than months. It would have been useful if the author had further categorised each posture into Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced. To somebody experienced it's pretty obvious which is which but to beginners it may not be clear (the conundrum "is it just me who think that looks hard or would any normal person feel this way?").

I agree with other reviewers that the binding is a nuisance but this is unfortunately the norm rather than the exception for yoga books (Swenson's Ashtanga book is an exception).

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Thorough, 9 April 2007
C. L. Read - See all my reviews
The book is wonderfully descriptive with easy to follow guides on over 150 different yoga postures. Each of the positions has one or more colour photographs to show you how it's done, along with different variations of the posture.

It includes breathing instructions, mudras, and various other little bits and pieces near the end, again, with pictures and just as easy to understand as the rest.

It's a must have for beginners since it's so clear and understandable, and a useful tool for the more advanced as a reference.

Highly reccomended

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Accessible, 3 May 2004
As an amateur / beginner yogi, I found this book extremely informative and accessible. The photographs as fantastically illustrative and the text is simple and straightforward. The book clearly explains how to start of with the very basics, and build yourself up at your own pace.

3.0 out of 5 stars A handy book to have, 4 July 2011
Anne Bedford "Annie B" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yoga Bible (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Left me discouraged for some reason., 15 May 2009
I normally love the 'Bible' series of books and indeed have 3 or 4 on various subjects but for some reason this one left me feeling abit discouraged.

I have been practising yoga for about 5 years but do still consider myself at the beginner stage. Without doubt all the main poses are in the book (and then some) but each and everyone was illustrated by what looked like contortionists. Instead of inspiring me this just gave me a feeling of disconnection.

I think they would have been better to show 2 people doing each pose one advanced and one 'normal' person so the rest of us can engage.

I am in my late 40's and wanted a book that would also show modifications of each pose - they do suggest modifications but I would have liked to see images of those too.I bought Suza Francina's 'Yoga for the over 50's' at the same time and I miles prefer that one, which is funny cos I only ordered it on a whim.

I now realise (after reading the Yoga over 50's book) that Iyengar yoga is probably the style of yoga that I most indentify with and as such will stick more in that zone when choosing material next time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but ........, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles (Paperback)
I think this book is very good but If I was just trying yoga for the first time I think I would have given up by now. I find it very informative but I could do with something in between a beginers and this one. I have done yoga before but have had a break of a number of years. So saying i will keep on using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, good reference for a beginner like me, 27 Jan. 2013
Pascal Pompey (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles (Paperback)
As a begginer, this book helps a lot to remember, and practice moves seen in class while alone at home. A book will of course never replace Yoga classes and sceances with more experienced people, but I found it a very useful material for making the move from sporadic yoga classes (once a week) into regular personal practice at home (ance a day)
It has very clear explanations as to how to do the postures correctly, how to move from one to an other, how to breathe and what to focus on, most of the posture are illustrated.
At the beginning I though the name "Yoga bible" was a little bit presomptuous but it perfectly does the job of a reference enabling to recheck some forgotten postures/move cycles and read more in depth indications as to how and why to do them and it does contain an awfull lot of them

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners and practitioners., 6 Jan. 2013
Mr. Omar Ahmed (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles (Paperback)
Dear readers, the yoga bible is a good definition of the different postures and how it affects the body. The difficulty is that the description is sometimes too lengthy and goes over one's head. Perhaps it is not for beginners and rather for practitioners. However, it is very well written and the pictures are very clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoga, 17 April 2013
THE YOGA BIBLE is A Great Book For Sourcing Information On YOGA.
Its a Mini Book with 399 Pages that includes colour pictures/photo's with/of Postures.
Like all Bibles, its packed with loads of information that is meant as A DEFINITIVE GUIDE for all levels - to help achieve and/or maintain 'Great Poise'.

THE YOGA BIBLE forms one of the many 'Bibles' in this series of 'Bibles.
It includes the basis of The Chakra System for Balance/Cleansing/Healing/Therapy Sessions.

THE YOGA BIBLE comes complete with a Contents Page, a Glossary and an Index for you to tailor your studies to suit your personal needs.

Thank You!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well explained, 8 Feb. 2013
M. Hunter - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles (Paperback)
I've done yoga classes in the past and decided I wanted to do it myself at home, so I bought this book as it was recommended on amazon. I've only just started using it but I am pleased with it as it really talks you through every pose, in much detail. So far I remember most poses which makes it easier for me to do. I'm not sure how easy it would be if you've never done yoga before, I think you would then need someone to talk you through it.
I would recommend this book if you are familiar with yoga.

The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles
The Yoga Bible: Godsfield Bibles by Christina Brown (Paperback - 6 July 2009)