Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2010
I was given this as a Christmas present one year as the person who gave it to me knew that I love crystals as it was my favourite part from stuying geology for a while and did have some belief in their uses.

I really enjoy this book and my copy is rather well worn now and is often found close at hand. I like how the crystals are listed from A to Z and the photos are lovely. It has been a very useful companion in my own work with crystals and I have recently purchased the second volume as I have picked up some unusual and new crystals I am not terribly familiar with. I highly recommend this book for anybody curious about the use of crystals be it for healing, aiding you on you spiritual path or enhancing your daily life even if it is just by placing an attractive crystal in your room to brighten it up.

However in answer to one of the negative reviews, I do think anybody relying on crystals to cure sickness alone is being very foolish and it states this in its caution message at the begining of the book. However there is nothing wrong with selecting a crystal to help out when one is ill.
33 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2009
Just like the title says it is a really good starting text for those interested in knowing more about crystals and how to use them. A previous reviewer I think is purhaps a little sceptical about the use of crystals! From personal experience I know they work not just on me but also my pets. I keep this and Volume 2 close by and would recommend it to any student of crystal healing.
on 14 November 2009
I have one of these and find it absolutely brilliant. My 8 year old nephew is fascinated with crystals so my Mum asked me if I could order her one of these books for him as she has looked at mine and thinks he will love it! I have other crystal books but this one I find is the best for being informative. Definitely recommended!
on 3 November 2014
It's just ok. I was expecting more identifications of tumble stone crystals but unfortunately majority of the pictures are of the crystals in their raw form. I am selling this on, due to it not being what I expected. Was quite disappointed to be honest because I had identified more by searching on the internet than this helped me identify. Save your money if this is what you want it for, ie identification of crystals because using the internet will help you more. P.s one picture of one tumble stone just isn't enough if you don't know a lot about crystals because they can vary so much in colour etc. a prime example, I have a sodalite tumble stone and know that it is exactly that, yet if I looked in this book I would think "oh no it isn't". Like I said, search on the internet, you will be a lot better off.
on 25 July 2013
Fabulous - this really is as stated, a "definitive guide". It would suit anyone: a beginner, a 'dip in' reader or a serious student. There are beautiful photographs of each of more than 200 crystals and, for each one, the description begins with details of Color, Appearance, Rarity and Source. This is followed by a comprehensive section on Attributes, Healing and Position. For crystals such as Agate, Calcite and Quartz which come in several different colours and/or varieties there's a section on their Additional Properties. There's also a wealth of information on other aspects of the world of crystals including how they formed and how to take care of them. In terms of theory, most of my developing knowledge of crystals comes form this book. Somehow, this background knowledge really got me started in tuning into the crystals I buy for myself or receive as gifts. I'm finding increasingly, I can feel the energy in the stones themselves and not only the ones whose descriptions I've read. Online and instore, I now pick stones based on the 'vibe' they give off. I'm always amazed when I read up on them and find I've chosen exactly what I needed. This book is ideal as a gift for a loved one or as a loving present to yourself.
on 26 February 2011
I bought this due to recently becoming interested in crystals- one of my friends recommended some crystals, but I needed a reference book so I could find out what to do with them! Judy Hall has produced an easy to read reference guide, with nice illustrations, and as well as having a comprehensive crystal 'dictionary', there are also sections on how to cleanse your crystals, how to meditate with them, and background info on crystal formation, as well as other interesting sections. A really great guide at a good price, I'd recommend this for beginners as well as for those with prior knowledge of crystals, as it can be used as a handy reference guide. Love it!
on 16 March 2010
This is a superb book for basic looking up of crystals and the healing aspects. I have book 2 and the encyclopedia as well and they are great A-Z reference books. highly recommended as a starter and you can use others as well.
on 20 January 2010
For those who are curious to learn more about semi-precious stones, this book is very accessible (all stones are listed in alphabetical order), there are plenty of pictures if you are trying to identify a stone and it is a comfortable size to peruse.
on 12 December 2010
This is an absolutely brilliant book. I have other books on crystals and this is by far the best. It is well written, well laid out and easy to understand. The pictures and information are very good. If you are interested in crystals buy this book.
on 1 March 2016
This book seems quite good, however, the pictures in the Citrine section are actually pictures of cooked amethyst! The author really should have checked the pictures so as to keep her credibility intact, especially as she states in the "Rarity" box below the pictures, "Natural Citrine is comparatively rare; heat-treated Amethyst is often sold as Citrine".

This huge error makes me wonder if the rest of the book's pictures and text are accurate.